What to expect on first RCCL cruise

We've only ever cruise NCL, and going on our first Royal cruise next year - Liberty. Any tips or anything we should know?

When booking, I already learned we're going to have to get used to not have the Freestyle eating option.. do you always have to eat with other people on Royal??

We are doing the same transition, from NCL to RCCL (on Anthem beginning of November). One thing I noticed is that you tend to book everything on RCCL in advance, including the entertainment. We are doing My Time Dining, and curious to see how that works compared to Freestyle.

When booking, I already learned we're going to have to get used to not have the Freestyle eating option.. do you always have to eat with other people on Royal??

Suggest to check to be sure you have My Time Dining. This allows flexibility on the time you eat and there are ample tables to accommodate just your party (no need to share a table).

The overall experience will be more similar than different. You don't make reservations for shows on this ship...everything is scheduled around the 2 traditional seating times. If you're doing MTD, then you need to choose which show you'll see, and eat accordingly! Main/early seating goes to the AFTER DINNER show...Late seating goes BEFORE DINNER.

We are doing the same transition, from NCL to RCCL (on Anthem beginning of November). One thing I noticed is that you tend to book everything on RCCL in advance, including the entertainment. We are doing My Time Dining, and curious to see how that works compared to Freestyle.

Advance reservations for entertainment are only available on Oasis and Quantum class ships. The other 18 ships in the fleet (including Liberty) don't have pre-cruise reservations for entertainment.

Edited by Host Clarea

One thing I noticed is that you tend to book everything on RCCL in advance, including the entertainment. We are doing My Time Dining, and curious to see how that works compared to Freestyle.

No need to book anything in advance on Liberty. Only on some larger class ships is it possible to book entertainment in advance. MTD sounds similar to NCL freestyle dining as you can eat when you want and with who you want. No need to be locked in on a dining time or need to share a table with strangers.

That seems to be the norm on the big ships. On the small ships, you just go, always plenty of seats.

I have heard (never sailed on big ship), that even with My Time Dining, it is recommended to make reservations. Again, on small ship (all my cruises), you show up, maybe wait 5 minutes or so, and get seating. If that long. Last cruise they did recommend making a reservation for lobster night and suggested a time that would result in fast service (after the main course for the early seating fixed, but before the second seating).

As others have said, no reservations are required for shows. There is a free ice skating show in Studio B (deck 3). There will likely be 4 identical shows. On some RCI ships, you get tickets (no charge) for the show time you want. On my only Liberty OTS (March 2016), the ice shows were scheduled based on your cabin/deck number. The ice show seats are available to all around 10 minutes before each show, but it might be hard to find 2 or more seats together then. The ice show is often one of the best shows on the ship.

I personally like the fixed time dining, because I like the theater shows, and as another poster said, the theater shows times are based on the fixed time dining. Note that MDR breakfast and lunch is always freestyle. MDR lunch is only on sea days -- often you are seated with others. There are some tables for 2, but you might have to wait for one to become available.

RCI has some of the best live music around, IMO -- usually around 25 musicians (9 piece ship's orchestra, 4 piece country band, 4 piece pool band, 3 piece salsa band, plus other guitarists and/or pianists), plus singers and dancers. I hope RCI does not cut back on this.

Are you driving or flying? If flying, it takes a while to get from the Houston airport to Galveston, and can be somewhat expensive.

Edited by Jimnbigd

What about service when you are on board having coffee do you hear passengers complain or are they happy, upcharges restaurants fixed rate or alacarte. Buffet is it better or run of the mill with a lot of curry. Ncl is kind of lacking in the guest relations and service department. I would also would be curious as to the room comparison.

On a 7 day cruise on the Liberty, there was no pre booking of shows like the Ice Skating. All other entertainment we just arrived at the theater about 30 minutes before show time to get our seats. If you do My Time dining, you can book you preferred time on line which will save you a little time in getting seated then if you like your wait staff and wish to remain with them, just let the head Waiter know and they will put you down for the same time each night. If you wish to have friends join you then when you do your online booking make sure you have their Booking # and it is not under a group booking. We like main dining so eat at the same time and are at the same table each night. you will enjoy the Liberty of the Seas.

Food...

MDR (main dining room) is open every day for breakfast and dinner, and on sea days for lunch.

Try the tutti salad bar for lunch -- sort of like a Mongolian grill where you pick your ingredients, but for salad (no cooking).

MDR is all-you-can-eat.

Your kids are not restricted to the kids menu.

If kids want to try something from the adult menu, go for it.

This is probably the best time to find out if they like certain foods -- no cost to you if they don't.

BTW...Adults can order anything from the kids menu if they want.

The buffet on deck 11 has two sections -- the biggest section is towards the back of the ship, and not the first section you see.

Cafe Promenade (CP) on deck 5 is open just about all the time, and has pre-made sandwiches and desserts.

I'm not sure of the hours for Sorrentos (also on deck 5), which has pizza and other Italian items.

Sometimes I skip MDR dessert and get some later at CP.

I think CP has the best free coffee -- Seattle's Best (strong and dark).

There are also hot chocolate packets which the kids might want -- and try adding one yourself to coffee for a free mocha.

CP also has milk in pitchers by the coffee if anyone want a glass of milk.

MDR and buffet of course also have milk available, as well as lemonade and fruit punch -- all no extra charge.

CP also has assorted tea bags.

The ship does not have a traditional High Tea.

There is a mini-golf course on deck 13 at the front of the ship -- get to deck 12 (can use elevators) and take some stairs near the front to deck 13. It is very windy on sea days.

Helipad at the front of the ship -- get there by either taking the outside front stairs on deck 4, or by going out a side door in the deck 5 front lounge.

Edited by Jimnbigd