Pre-Paid Gratuities/Tips

flirtallya

1) What Royal does is irrelevant.

2) NCL does not have prepaid GRATUITIES.

What Royal does is less irrelevant than your suggesting. Some might have said that on the RC forum about NCL yet a policy change by NCL was adopted by RC.

NCL most assuredly does have a pre-paid gratuity. If you buy or receive for free the UBP or dining package, your going to prepay gratuity. True or false?

Still no response from NCL. Think I will remove pre-paid gratuities from my bill and give CASH to everyone I meet. Will leave CASH at bar, CASH at MDR, Buffet., CASH for Steward, etc. I will walk away knowing the hard working people actually got my $ and how much I appreciated them. Corporate out of it. JMO

This, and similar comments are just absurd.

Do you think, if the conjecture of some people here is accurate, and that corporate is pocketing the DSC and then just paying the crew per their contracts, that they would simply allow people to walk away from that fee simply by stating they want to?

Imagine that...no, I just don't feel like paying the cover charge at Cagney's tonight, but I AM planning on eating there. No, I don't feel I should have to pay port charges, but I'm still going. No, I think that cruise fare is too high - I'm just going to pay what I feel comfortable with.

No, if this were entirely an NCL revenue stream, it would be treated the same as all other streams: in a protected manner. NCL doesn't want people deciding willy-nilly how much revenue it will earn.

Just extrapolating from that absurdity suggests that the 'myth' that the DSC functions like a variable-income-supplement (on top of base earnings) , which is the same structure as most professional salespeople (base + commission) is more likely to be accurate.

Stephen

This, and similar comments are just absurd.

Do you think, if the conjecture of some people here is accurate, and that corporate is pocketing the DSC and then just paying the crew per their contracts, that they would simply allow people to walk away from that fee simply by stating they want to?

Imagine that...no, I just don't feel like paying the cover charge at Cagney's tonight, but I AM planning on eating there. No, I don't feel I should have to pay port charges, but I'm still going. No, I think that cruise fare is too high - I'm just going to pay what I feel comfortable with.

No, if this were entirely an NCL revenue stream, it would be treated the same as all other streams: in a protected manner. NCL doesn't want people deciding willy-nilly how much revenue it will earn.

Just extrapolating from that absurdity suggests that the 'myth' that the DSC functions like a variable-income-supplement (on top of base earnings) , which is the same structure as most professional salespeople (base + commission) is more likely to be accurate.

Stephen

Do you know your opinion as fact, and if so, can you let us know where we can verify what you posted?

NCL is required by agreement to make up any shortfall if the DSC doesn't have enough funds to pay the contracted amount to the crew. This can be verified within the ILO agreement

Since the DSC is removable per the contract, its more like a charity than anything else. I choose not to donate to a billion dollar company so they can pay their employees. Paying my negotiated fare is what was bargained for, and that’s all I will pay.

But thanks to all you sheeple who are guilted into making a donation! If they made it mandatory (in the contract) I wouldn’t get the nice little rebate at the end.

Happy sails!

Do you know your opinion as fact, and if so, can you let us know where we can verify what you posted?

NCL is required by agreement to make up any shortfall if the DSC doesn't have enough funds to pay the contracted amount to the crew. This can be verified within the ILO agreement

I only know what years of reading here have suggested. And since my own income follows a similar structure, it's easy to understand.

But I really can't get my head around the notion of going up to the bar, and having the bartender say that'll be $13.95 please and telling him, it's okay - I'm not going to pay for this - I'll pay somebody else in CASH.

Stephen

I only know what years of reading here have suggested. And since my own income follows a similar structure, it's easy to understand.

But I really can't get my head around the notion of going up to the bar, and having the bartender say that'll be $13.95 please and telling him, it's okay - I'm not going to pay for this - I'll pay somebody else in CASH.

Stephen

Unsupported comments such as crew being paid 50 dollars per month degrades the validity of these boards as a source of information.

Please stop disputing posts with rhetoric and absurd comments.

I have referenced my posts so they can be checked by those,who are serious about the subject.

Oh, I I was under the impression that paying up front saved me money because they give you a break for doing so. But based on what you're saying I only saved the money because I avoided a rate increase.

That is correct. There is no regular discount for pre-paying the daily service charge. However, cruise lines are frequently raising the amount so pre-paying has saved us money twice.

There are evidently multiple ways to say “I’m cheap and want to justify that via wild speculation about corporate deception in their pay practices.” And the various explanations that focus on personal choice over who gets their hard-earned tip money is code for justifying that cheapness. There’s very few people on CC who work half as hard as the onboard crew stiffed by the indignant one’s sitting on their couches at home wringing their hands over this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are evidently multiple ways to say “I’m cheap and want to justify that via wild speculation about corporate deception in their pay practices.” And the various explanations that focus on personal choice over who gets their hard-earned tip money is code for justifying that cheapness. There’s very few people on CC who work half as hard as the onboard crew stiffed by the indignant one’s sitting on their couches at home wringing their hands over this.

And what I don’t get is how it is anyone’s business but mine, and maybe Mrs Gut’s.

I have no issues with those who choose to pay the DSC, but it seems odd that some choose to resort to name calling when others post the truth about how the DSC benefits the cruise line.

Please pay what makes you comfortable, and others will do what fits their wishes.

The crew members I deal with are not complaining about their income.

I prepay gratuities about a month or so before the cruise. Makes the bill a little smaller at the end of the cruise.

I pay gratuities because I can read and do math. I don't feel like screwing the cruise line or their employees and I it's pretty easy to figure out the total cost of my cruise and know that I can afford it.

I don't care to be shifty and legally cheat people or a company to save a few bucks when I know the rules when I sign up. If I can't afford the cruise unless I have to be devious or a low life, I'll find a different way to vacation.

I figure that karma will get the weasels sooner or later and hope they get the service they pay for.

I prepay gratuities about a month or so before the cruise. Makes the bill a little smaller at the end of the cruise.

I pay gratuities because I can read and do math. I don't feel like screwing the cruise line or their employees and I it's pretty easy to figure out the total cost of my cruise and know that I can afford it.

I don't care to be shifty and legally cheat people or a company to save a few bucks when I know the rules when I sign up. If I can't afford the cruise unless I have to be devious or a low life, I'll find a different way to vacation.

I figure that karma will get the weasels sooner or later and hope they get the service they pay for.

What are you referring to with the term "weasels".

Can you explain?

I know the total cost too. I go by the fare advertised plus taxes and port fees. I just have to wait a little while for the overcharge to be credited back to the credit card.

Happy sailing!

I know the total cost too. I go by the fare advertised plus taxes and port fees. I just have to wait a little while for the overcharge to be credited back to the credit card.

Happy sailing!

Overcharge. yeah right. It just might be an overcharge if you didn't know about it before you booked and the DSC information wasn't readily available. Neither applies here.

You're just proud that you can screw someone and get away with it. Hope you get the service you deserve.

Happy sailing.

I do the same, just pre-pay the DSC and get it over with. On two of the cruise lines I cruise with, they have this and it is just part of my overall cruise expense.

For those wondering, NCL was compliant with European law by having the DSC as an add on (just like most cruise lines), as long as it was removable, but they got smart and included it in the "raised" fares, so that those passengers could no longer remove it. Hopefully NCL will do this in the US, so that passengers here will not be able to remove it and if NCL really thought about it, their crew would come out ahead if they did it, because some will continue to tip (like the olden days) and it will be a win win for the crew.

Overcharge. yeah right. It just might be an overcharge if you didn't know about it before you booked and the DSC information wasn't readily available. Neither applies here.

You're just proud that you can screw someone and get away with it. Hope you get the service you deserve.

Happy sailing.

Exactly

I would be very interesting to know the actual truth with some of these people complaining about this and people who actually request it be removed

my experience is those same people are the kind that rarely tip well, if at all t

hose are also the same people that will complain constantly about frivolous things and pester bartenders and crew members over meaningless crap

The issue for me isn't the daily service charge. It isn't tipping the butler.

My issue is NCL skimming the pot.

Other than one person that alleges to have had the daily service charge credited back, no one here has posted that the need to ensure employees are paid for the hard work they perform isn't fair or important.

I'll reiterate, I am in favour of tipping and I'm in favour of the employees being paid no less than they agreed to upon being hired.

I am against the company charging me a fee under the guise it benefits employees while they skip the best fat from the top.

Just as a competitor posts how the service charge is distributed, I'd very much like to see this for NCL.

My issue is NCL skimming the pot.

I am against the company charging me a fee under the guise it benefits employees while they skip the best fat from the top.

Please show everyone your proof that NCL is doing this.

From a poster who has worked on cruise ships (in management) for many years: Cruise ship crew who fall into the DSC pool,will be paid a combination of base wage and DSC that generally falls slightlyhigher than the minimum wage. If the DSC is removed by a passenger, theneveryone in the pool gets slightly less that week.

↑ I have no such proof. Another poster commented on this raising the issue. In my own conversations with NCL asking about the daily service charge, they were vague and unwilling to discuss it. This is proof of nothing except confidentiality however I am free to draw a much larger conclusion than the one defined by their silence. It is that silence which raises the alarm for me. If a client asks me to explain a line entry on an invoice, I have no issue doing so. I own my company and stand behind my policies. I don't pad invoices.

Granted, NCL may not be doing this but the cynic in me believes if they were passing 100% of that fund to employees, they'd be happy to state as much. A person is legally entitled to plea the fifth to any question when on the witness stand but there are very few among us that wouldn't find it a little curious each time a person invokes that privilege.