Pre-Paid Gratuities/Tips

flirtallya

We were on the Breakaway in July and our cabin steward was the worst we've had in 20 cruises. Had to ask him for the third towel everyday (we were with our granddaughter), bar soap (he took away the soap dish after day one, robes (was I wrong to assume that we should have robes in a balcony stateroom?), and beach towels (he told us everyday to go up to the pool deck to get towels).

This was our first time on NCL and we thought that maybe this was how this line operates. My husband and I agreed not to remove the tips at the end of the week but decided not to tip him extra in cash as we ususally do after receiving good to excellent service.

As it turns out, we are booked again for mid-December in the cabin right next door to the one we were in three months ago and, if for some reason this character turns out to be our room steward, and if he hasn't improved, I'm going to Guest Services on day two to complain.

I wouldn't lend too much credence to those claiming to have the daily service charge removed/voided/refunded.

It might work once, perhaps twice but the cruise line will catch on and quickly see what is happening, then deny the request.

Given they already collected the daily service charge or will before that person departs the cruise, they have little to be concerned with.

Even if the person exited the ship without paying, the cruise line would have legal recourse to pursue the matter and it is doubtful that person would be boarding any future ships with that line. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the cruise lines communicate a list of troublemakers amongst themselves.

I suspect those claims are designed to illicit a confrontation here, nothing more.

I wouldn't lend too much credence to those claiming to have the daily service charge removed/voided/refunded.

It might work once, perhaps twice but the cruise line will catch on and quickly see what is happening, then deny the request.

Given they already collected the daily service charge or will before that person departs the cruise, they have little to be concerned with.

Even if the person exited the ship without paying, the cruise line would have legal recourse to pursue the matter and it is doubtful that person would be boarding any future ships with that line. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the cruise lines communicate a list of troublemakers amongst themselves.

I suspect those claims are designed to illicit a confrontation here, nothing more.

Actually I would disagree. I think so few have it removed (for whatever reason) that it is not even a blip. On a ship where there are 3-4000 passengers, if 10 people remove the DSC, Corporate is not even going to notice the blip. They are definitely not going to go thru the trouble of keeping a database (that has to be constantly updated) to track if it is the same people and then spread the word among the different cruise lines.

Oh please.

Unsupported comments such as crew being paid 50 dollars per month degrades the validity of these boards as a source of information.

Please stop disputing posts with rhetoric and absurd comments.

I have referenced my posts so they can be checked by those,who are serious about the subject.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/ "Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips

The issue for me isn't the daily service charge. It isn't tipping the butler.

My issue is NCL skimming the pot.

Other than one person that alleges to have had the daily service charge credited back, no one here has posted that the need to ensure employees are paid for the hard work they perform isn't fair or important.

I'll reiterate, I am in favour of tipping and I'm in favour of the employees being paid no less than they agreed to upon being hired.

I am against the company charging me a fee under the guise it benefits employees while they skip the best fat from the top.

Just as a competitor posts how the service charge is distributed, I'd very much like to see this for NCL.

So, you go to a car dealer & buy a car. The car costs $20,000 plus $995 Freight & PDI, plus $395 Administration Fee, plus taxes.

You go on a cruise. The cruise costs $699 plus $13.50 per day Service Charges.

Add up both scenarios, and you have the total cost of the item (car or cruise). That is the amount you'll pay, one way or another.

Don't want to pay freight, PDI & admin? Expect the $20k price to become $22k + tax.

Don't want to pay $13.50 / day? Expect the cruise to increase by $15 / day to compensate.

NCL needs to be sure their crew are happy, which is why it makes it more difficult to get the DSC refunded (and in the UK it's simply bundled-in)

As for NCL underpaying their workers - the proof is in the fact that they staff 23 ships with over 1100 crew, per ship. If they were "skimming", the crew would leave.

They are protected by a union, and they have negotiated salaries & shares of the DSC.

Stephen

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/ "Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips

So, you go to a car dealer & buy a car. The car costs $20,000 plus $995 Freight & PDI, plus $395 Administration Fee, plus taxes.

Add up both scenarios, and you have the total cost of the item (car or cruise). That is the amount you'll pay, one way or another.

Don't want to pay freight, PDI & admin? Expect the $20k price to become $22k + tax.

Don't want to pay $13.50 / day? Expect the cruise to increase by $15 / day to compensate.

NCL needs to be sure their crew are happy, which is why it makes it more difficult to get the DSC refunded (and in the UK it's simply bundled-in)

As for NCL underpaying their workers - the proof is in the fact that they staff 23 ships with over 1100 crew, per ship. If they were "skimming", the crew would leave.

They are protected by a union, and they have negotiated salaries & shares of the DSC.

Stephen

The salaries are negotiated between the cruise line and ILO. The DSC is used by the cruise line to pay the crew the contracted salary, and if the DSC pool is Insufficient, the cruise line must make up the shortfall.

NCL doesn't talk about what happens if the DSC pool is more than is needed.

If anyone has verifiable info from NCL, please post it.

Please show everyone your proof that NCL is doing this.

From a poster who has worked on cruise ships (in management) for many years: Cruise ship crew who fall into the DSC pool,will be paid a combination of base wage and DSC that generally falls slightlyhigher than the minimum wage. If the DSC is removed by a passenger, theneveryone in the pool gets slightly less that week.

The SAME PosteR QUOTED Also said he has been in meetings where it was discussed that NCL handles the DSC as a revenue stream.

We were very happy with the overall service. Plates were cleared quickly and tables cleaned so we could sit in high demand areas outside. The staff making sure we got on and off the boat and making sure everyone had their hands cleaned. I see these services as necessary and appreciated. They always did it with a smile and in a friendly way. We were very satisfied paying the set amount. I would have felt like a bit running around tipping each person for their great service. Lol. I rather keep it simple. Personal preference. I would rather it be included in the cost rather than it being separate. Personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stephen

Your analagy is flawed as not all dealers charge those fees.

I purchased a 2016 Corvette Z06 from Kerbeck and they don't charge any of those fees while giving discounts off MSRP

of 8%. They are not alone, Porsche of Conshohocken also waived it on our 2016 Cayenne S eHybrid.

Find a cruise line willing to waive its fees.

As I said numerous times, I'm not against tipping, unles and only if the employer has a hand in the till do I adamantly object.

You can adjust the DSC up or down per NCLs guideline on their FAQ pages. Note that they ask you to give them an opportunity to fix whatever he issue is that causes you to want to remove the DSC.

"If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Also you are not prepaying tips. Tipping is 100% optional other than on some of the packages where an 18% gratuity is automatically added. So tipping anyone on board, while usually well deserved, is totally unrelated to the DSC. Have a great cruise.

Do you really want to piss off the people preparing your meals? changing your linens? pouring that glass of wine for you?

Yea, I'll pass.

NCL knows full well the average person isn't going to throw rocks while inside the glass house. Complaining about minor issues which under a true tip system might have resulted in a lesser tip are not going to be enough for the average person to walk over to the customer service desk and mention something. Who would do that knowing their name and their cabin number will be given to the very people which were the subject of the complaint?

It would have to be pretty egregious for me to say anything, normally I'd let my wallet do the talking via the tip.

NCL has taken that option away.

It isn't. However if you post non-factual info here (such as "I tipped in person which justifies me removing the DSC"), others will point out the flaws.

Where can one find YOUR list of acceptable reasons to adjust or remove the DSC charges?

"This cruise did not meet my expectations" should suffice as.a good reason.

Good evening,

I also have a personal ethical standard that does not allow me to harm another in any way, especially for my personal enjoyment. However, no one can provide flowdowns where the "Gratuities" go. Is it public knowledge written somewhere? It should be. I want my $ to go directly to workers. NCL never answered my question to how the "gratuities" are flowed down to worker bees and proof their paychecks increased with each and every cruise. I have only been on an handful of cruises and last cruise was 2009 (Disney). Heading out out on Sky in November as Solo. Older. wiser.

I am sure other Cruise Lines are dealing with this also.

I live in a Corporate/Government World. It is in my blood to question to where $ is flowed down. Give me facts. No problem tipping, just give me stats to who/whom this $ is given to. Flow Downs should be Public Knowledge. Is it posted any where? Forgive me if I missed it.

We all sign a "contract" stating our Ports will be deviated because of weather and awful Hurricanes. I get it. Where is the consumer knowledge of exactly stating where our DSC goes?

No problem with giving "worker bees" their hard earned $. I would just like assurance my DCS goes into pockets to them and not Corporate. Can anyone produce documents?

All good :)

I also have a personal ethical standard that does not allow me to harm another in any way, especially for my personal enjoyment. However, no one can provide flowdowns where the "Gratuities" go. Is it public knowledge written somewhere? It should be. I want my $ to go directly to workers. NCL never answered my question to how the "gratuities" are flowed down to worker bees and proof their paychecks increased with each and every cruise. I have only been on an handful of cruises and last cruise was 2009 (Disney). Heading out out on Sky in November as Solo. Older. wiser.

Well, since it isn't really a "gratuity" or a "tip", you don't really have an objection, do you?

The daily service charge replaces the old system of tips completely, and NCL does not call it a tip or gratuity. The industry does have a long history of tipping, so when people ask about tips they say the service charge replaces it. And their marketing department uses that language sometimes, but I believe it is simply shorthand for what people are used to.

Here's what NCL actually says:

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.

From https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

From https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

We were on the Breakaway in July and our cabin steward was the worst we've had in 20 cruises. Had to ask him for the third towel everyday (we were with our granddaughter), bar soap (he took away the soap dish after day one, robes (was I wrong to assume that we should have robes in a balcony stateroom?), and beach towels (he told us everyday to go up to the pool deck to get towels).

This was our first time on NCL and we thought that maybe this was how this line operates. My husband and I agreed not to remove the tips at the end of the week but decided not to tip him extra in cash as we ususally do after receiving good to excellent service.

As it turns out, we are booked again for mid-December in the cabin right next door to the one we were in three months ago and, if for some reason this character turns out to be our room steward, and if he hasn't improved, I'm going to Guest Services on day two to complain.

I've only been on 3 NCL cruises ... but NO that isn't the level of service we've experienced. Just FYI ... YES definitely go to Guest Services.

Well, since it isn't really a "gratuity" or a "tip", you don't really have an objection, do you?

The daily service charge replaces the old system of tips completely, and NCL does not call it a tip or gratuity. The industry does have a long history of tipping, so when people ask about tips they say the service charge replaces it. And their marketing department uses that language sometimes, but I believe it is simply shorthand for what people are used to.

Quotes are fine. But does not answer my question to where "gratuities" actually go. We may never get the answer to that. We all have the right to dispute "gratuities".

Solo travelers also take HUGE hit from cruise lines. It can be up to 300%! That is discriminatory and Cruise Lines are working to remedy this. No matter what they do, Solo travelers will be screwed and unfair. Solo travelers are basically discriminated against and have to pay higher fair. I priced out cruise to Alaska. It was 3 times the price for solo! Discrimination for solo cruisers has got to end. Also pre-paid gratuities which I did not authorize (since I have no idea where my "Tips" went).is another issue.

JMO. Safe travels to all :)

Quotes are fine. But does not answer my question to where "gratuities" actually go. We may never get the answer to that. We all have the right to dispute "gratuities".

The quotes are proof that NCL does not call the daily service charge a "tip" or a "gratuity". You can choose to ignore that, of course, but it makes discussion harder. You are asking us to answer a question that is equivalent to "Does red speed faster than green?"

The quotes also show that gratuities or tips are compensation you give to individual crew members. NCL thinks it's fine that you reward them and says ... oh sorry, I almost quoted NCL.

Solo travelers also take HUGE hit from cruise lines. It can be up to 300%! That is discriminatory and Cruise Lines are working to remedy this. No matter what they do, Solo travelers will be screwed and unfair. Solo travelers are basically discriminated against and have to pay higher fair. I priced out cruise to Alaska. It was 3 times the price for solo! Discrimination for solo cruisers has got to end. Also pre-paid gratuities which I did not authorize (since I have no idea where my "Tips" went).is another issue.

I don't think you understand what discriminatory means.

Eventually, the crew need to be paid a sustainable wage, or they'll go elsewhere. NCL breaks that wage into the portion buried in the fare, and a separate portion which can be modified if their performance is sub-par.

As for the solo 'penalty', I've never heard of more than a 100% penalty (that is, 2x the fare), but if you consider this 'discriminatory' (hint: being alone is not a definable class for discrimination), then bring a friend. It'll cost you the same, you just have to share your space. Don't want that? Then it's a CHOICE you've made. Not discrimination.

Stephen