Pre-Paid Gratuities/Tips

flirtallya

↑ Privacy has become a choice?

It isn't discrimination at all that a single passenger pays more. It's simple math. The cabin has to generate x amount in profit and if you have two travelers, the cost is divided. Like splitting a cab.

What might be objectionable is when you have 3 or 4 in the same cabin and they don't reduce the per person rate.

Hi there, I'm going on my first cruise in January with NCL Getaway. I have a problem paying up front for service that I haven't even had, a bit like when a restaurant automatically charges you gratuities and you have an issue with the service or food. I'm not saying I anticipate an issue but I want to give generously to the servers who serve me personally especially if its a regular server at a bar or a favorite restaurant on the ship. Is this unreasonable? Can I opt out of paying this fee in advance? Thanks

No. Every passenger is obligated to pay the standard gratuities. They are to make sure your stewardess and severs onboard get paid. This is how they earn money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. Every passenger is obligated to pay the standard gratuities. They are to make sure your stewardess and severs onboard get paid. This is how they earn money.

The crew members receive a contracted amount of pay regardless of how guests handle the service charges (or whatever NCL decides to call the automatic charges they assess)

↑ Privacy has become a choice?

It isn't discrimination at all that a single passenger pays more. It's simple math. The cabin has to generate x amount in profit and if you have two travelers, the cost is divided. Like splitting a cab.

What might be objectionable is when you have 3 or 4 in the same cabin and they don't reduce the per person rate.

Oh, but they do....when the 3rd and 4th sale for free.

It is definitely a personal decision -- I don't ever remove standard service charge/gratuities simply because I see how hard the cabin stewards and rest of the staff actually work week in and week out. If I ask anything extra or I notice someone providing service that is out of the this world, then I will tip them extra. I feel that I am lucky enough to afford to go on vacations and cruises while they have to work on a cruise ship so that their families can have a good life. Are the cruise lines (it's not only NCL, they all do it), subsidizing crew salaries with the service charge? Yes! But ultimately it's the crew member that loses in all of this --- $28 extra per day is not going to break me but it probably makes a difference for them.

Edited by nednrom

Our friends who are first time cruisers just came back from their Mediterranean cruise. They prepaid their gratuities. They have just told us they had to pay an additional approx $14.00 US each per day for a new type of service fee that started in April . Does this seem logical?

Thank you everyone for your viewpoints. I will take into considering where I go "from here to there". Lots of valuable info/knowledge here and appreciate all viewpoints. Open mind to everything. Thanks again :)

Fair winds and following seas.to all :)

You never answered what cruise line charges 300%.

Our friends who are first time cruisers just came back from their Mediterranean cruise. They prepaid their gratuities. They have just told us they had to pay an additional approx $14.00 US each per day for a new type of service fee that started in April . Does this seem logical?
Sounds like the paid the 18% gratuity on the dining or beverage packages. The $14 per day is for the daily service charge and it is totally different. BTW, the DSC is not new.

The crew members receive a contracted amount of pay regardless of how guests handle the service charges (or whatever NCL decides to call the automatic charges they assess)

Not the stewardess and servers. All other crew members yes. The gratuity is for servers and stewardess.

Eventually, the crew need to be paid a sustainable wage, or they'll go elsewhere. NCL breaks that wage into the portion buried in the fare, and a separate portion which can be modified if their performance is sub-par.

As for the solo 'penalty', I've never heard of more than a 100% penalty (that is, 2x the fare), but if you consider this 'discriminatory' (hint: being alone is not a definable class for discrimination), then bring a friend. It'll cost you the same, you just have to share your space. Don't want that? Then it's a CHOICE you've made. Not discrimination.

Stephen

Yes, Solo Travelers are being discriminated against. I get it is a "business" and they need to make $. However, try to make accommodations for "Solo" travelers without absorbing exorbitant cost is insane. Definitely discrimination to Solo traveler. Do you work for Cruise Line? Who are you protecting? Union?

The only thing "new" in April was the DSC going from $13.50 to $13.99 for non-suites on most ships.

Your friends probably "pre-paid" the service charge on their promo(s). The daily service charge (DSC) has nothing to do with the service charge on promos.

You people are brutal. Just trash everyone. Not my style. Thanks for the memories. This site should re-evaluated.

To all of you who think who are better than me..HAHAHA.!

I asked for simple help here and got trashed along the way. Not cool.

Fair winds and following seas to all. If you don't understand that phrase, you can simply Google.

Yes, Solo Travelers are being discriminated against. I get it is a "business" and they need to make $. However, try to make accommodations for "Solo" travelers without absorbing exorbitant cost is insane. Definitely discrimination to Solo traveler. Do you work for Cruise Line? Who are you protecting? Union?

In order for one be discriminated against they must associate with a protected class like race, sex or sexual orientation. Choosing to travel solo does not qualify as a protected class, therefore the word discrimination doesn't apply.

Also, NCL does a great deal to accommodate solo travelers by creating solo cabins designed and priced typically at half the cost of an inside cabin.

You people are brutal. Just trash everyone. Not my style. Thanks for the memories. This site should re-evaluated.

To all of you who think who are better than me..HAHAHA.!

I asked for simple help here and got trashed along the way. Not cool.

Fair winds and following seas to all. If you don't understand that phrase, you can simply Google.

Still wondering what cruise line charges 300%, so I can stay away from them.

No, anyone can be discriminated against, it has nothing to do with a "protected class". By your logic it would be OK for a restaurant to charge $2.95 for a hamburger for all customers but white males who are charged $49.95.

Whoa... this conversation took a turn for the COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC. Let’s stick to cruise & gratuities here.

For all, either agree to cruise line polices or don’t cruise at ALL. It’s simple.

Twice.. I have had to go to the front desk and asked them to remove tips (NCL and Royal Caribbean) due to bad service. But..... I tipped more than the cruise line recommended, except for the one person that provided poor service. When you book a cruise.... gratuities are part of the deal.

Tips should equal the service performed. If you want great service... tip early and often.

Forgive me. I am confused. So if I am not happy with service, I legally have the right to adjust DSC/Tips? Not saying I WILL.

If a hamburger and wait service in local diner gives me bad food/service, I can leave a "tip" to my liking reflecting service/food. I think we all agree on that. If bad service on Ship, I just wanted to know how that rolls. Can I adjust? I haven't even been on cruise yet, and apprehensive "pre-paying" gratuities which I would love to pay or erase from from "Bill" should I feel the need to do so.

Someone said Cruise Line Workers have a Union. If that is true, then they are guaranteed pay/health care benefits/over time which is covered in their CBA. I do not have those facts therefore cannot comment.

My original question was: Who has proof DSC/gratuities goes directly to workers and not Corporate?

Just want simple answer. You guys are smarter than me. Just looking for knowledge how breakdown is applied. Is there a Union?

I simply wanna take a Solo Cruise. So looking forward to it, but add on's add up without out my permission. Just looking to you guys for help :)

Fair winds and following seas to all :)

I am sailing on Epic in 40 days. I have paid the 18% service on my promotional item (UBP). I purchased the 4 night SDP - the applicable service charge was added to the price. And I prepaid the standard service charge.

I have no problem with any of these charges. I have found that service on a cruise ship consistently surpasses those typically experienced in a land based setting. There is nothing that makes me feel like anything will be different on this cruise.

That being said, I feel no obligation to tip any further, anywhere on board, unless I receive truely exceptional service above and beyond what I expect.

BTW: I am a solo traveler and all my services charges are based on one person.

I am sailing on Epic in 40 days. I have paid the 18% service on my promotional item (UBP). I purchased the 4 night SDP - the applicable service charge was added to the price. And I prepaid the standard service charge.

I have no problem with any of these charges. I have found that service on a cruise ship consistently surpasses those typically experienced in a land based setting. There is nothing that makes me feel like anything will be different on this cruise.

That being said, I feel no obligation to tip any further, anywhere on board, unless I receive truely exceptional service above and beyond what I expect.

BTW: I am a solo traveler and all my services charges are based on one person.

First of all, your "name" cracks me up. LOL! Thank you for your input. Well received info. :)

They do not add tips in in the first place, ergo nothing to remove. The only people who get tipped are the crew members you choose to tip. It sounds like what you had remove was the DSC.

Which is widely accepted to be a mandatory tip charge.

Forgive me. I am confused. So if I am not happy with service, I legally have the right to adjust DSC/Tips? Not saying I WILL.

You cannot remove the mandatory 18% gratuity / service charge on drinks you buy at a bar, nor can you avoid the 18% gratuity / service charge if you buy or get the package as a promo.

Those are the only gratuities or tips that are assessed by NCL.

The daily service fee is no longer described by NCL as a tip or gratuity. It is a service charge that "supports crew incentive programs". NCL allows you to go to the customer service desk and reduce it if they cannot resolve your service issue.

The above is my understanding of the FAQ that NCL has produced on this subject.

Someone said Cruise Line Workers have a Union. If that is true, then they are guaranteed pay/health care benefits/over time which is covered in their CBA. I do not have those facts therefore cannot comment.

Yes, they are covered by the ITF / seafarers union. If you go to their site and enter "Norwegian" as the search term you will see the NCL ships listed:

wzvqZeKAZ-mNhKbMldtf6dTe_gQDAdhSSg_He1oaEBqAQUy-lt1p2YfdhtjU_FFElJKpzNYKuOcx4M9SqNOGSplFJJxxa91OcMUo2eTIL6JER5ayWlFdX9DiaIxO_vWa1tEk1P5bqwQHfGWT3ToENusIwg4DF8rZ6Ncviw864GjIXs2rgfgSd06JqcE-RRpMv9yTYG2LfRpYmHwXFm9V5Rjdq4OO95k0mbuRmDdFrRZJKPI8Pknjx7eqabm5AHWuvx5fWMWRjE7qfmqxCbD34oYySqZ6xWRmj2f0OEEy_fB5N6Ep4QuoVzvASFHqW8nEUh4q4sKixdgXAUxhc68b1zhWYTnKIazY9K3v0eqtgpti8q5Lq4L5A3A3joj9dpRHQ2CvR9HDeA1ERRjLdSLiua-2E_U-q55SgpYhi-H9rdPG9o-klbLf9R3tnZj98fRSi3wvehOGzf5oWPi96KgCFoLZuw_fKl_NitM7FB5NzgX2G-BkW1Jy34Ni82WcHihS7uLTM-IwQODk2GRUtSEWpy282oNiXHgTLwHOmFiLGvchXCktUDsgLelslVGVuT4Wk8xybOhshQi7gFjYTrHUZ_1FOjoPDwxmQd3w0OGkoQ=w1001-h952-no