Recommendation for Mobility Challenged Passengers

Go9ersjrh

My parents are avid ocean cruisers and would like to take a European Riverboat cruise. I would like to go with them if I can find a riverboat line and itinerary that offers included shore excursions that don't require a significant amount of walking. They are very comfortable taking bus tours that go to a location that you can explore at their own pace, but I think they would have trouble on a 2 hour walking tour.

I've reviewed the various riverboat lines websites, but they do not provide information on what the included shore excursion is at each port.

I'm hoping this knowledgeable group will be able to point me in the right direction so that I can make this trip happen for my parents.

Thank you!

My parents are avid ocean cruisers and would like to take a European Riverboat cruise. I would like to go with them if I can find a riverboat line and itinerary that offers included shore excursions that don't require a significant amount of walking. They are very comfortable taking bus tours that go to a location that you can explore at their own pace, but I think they would have trouble on a 2 hour walking tour.

I've reviewed the various riverboat lines websites, but they do not provide information on what the included shore excursion is at each port.

I'm hoping this knowledgeable group will be able to point me in the right direction so that I can make this trip happen for my parents.

Thank you!

Might be better off asking about specific lines. I do know that on Viking and Gate1, the included tours are primarily walking tours. Have seen other cruise lines doing similar tours. You might see which lines interest you from a price point and reputation and then ask about those specific lines.

I am looking at Viking, Avalon, Amawaterways, Vantage and Uniworld. The shore excursions that are included or are available will probably be the deciding factor on which line we select. As I continue to do more research, I'm thinking that an Amsterdam to Budapest itinerary may be a good choice.

My parents are avid ocean cruisers and would like to take a European Riverboat cruise. I would like to go with them if I can find a riverboat line and itinerary that offers included shore excursions that don't require a significant amount of walking. They are very comfortable taking bus tours that go to a location that you can explore at their own pace, but I think they would have trouble on a 2 hour walking tour...
I am a veteran of 20+ river cruise on multiple lines. Every line I have used has worked with people with SOME mobility issues. 2 hours sounds about right for many tours, but typically that is a fairly slow 45 minute walk with many short stops to discuss the town and buildings and allow for photos. Tours involve free time and many people use it to sit and have coffee or beer. The boat and guides should help with arranging taxis (generally at YOUR expense) to bypass a particularly hilly part or for an early/separate return to the boat. Extremely slow walkers should be prepared to bypass certain tour portions in order that the whole group is not significantly impacted.

The most critical mobility issue is the ability to get on and off the boat. Side-by-side rafting is to be expected somewhere along the cruise, and if the various boat decks are not at the same level may require having to get to the sundeck (possibly involving fairly steep stairs) and walking over other boats and back down.

Thom

Thank you!

I can’t speak for other lines, but we did the Viking Rhine Getaway last year and every excursion had a slow walkers group. They generally skipped some portions of the full tour. At one stop they were taken around on a little motorized tour train. Looked like fun, actually.

The excursions were all rated by difficulty. Marksburg Castle, for instance was a bit of a climb. For that one many stayed on the boat for the ride to the next port where they picked up those of us who went to Marksburg.

There is the day in the Rhine Gorge where you view all the Castles from the boat (gorgeous). The trip to the Black Forest was a bus ride. So it’s not all walking.

Some excursions involve walking, but then leave time for a cup of coffee, a beer or a glass of wine in a sidewalk cafe. And there is always the slow walkers group that generally does a less strenuous route while still getting to see a lot.

River cruising is nothing at all like ocean cruising except both involve water and a ship [emoji16]. And as someone else pointed out the ships are often moored together so you may have to cross through another or more to get off and on. We only had this a couple of times with only one other Viking ship, so it wasn’t an issue.

Viking ships do have an elevator but it doesn’t go to all decks. You would have to check that out. We had some people with canes on our cruise, but I don’t recall any walkers. I don’t know if your parents need that kind of assistance or if they just can’t handle walking longer distances. If it’s the latter case, they should be fine with a Viking cruise - especially the shorter ones.

Someone else will have to give you information on other lines. I can tell you that we loved our cruise and have booked another for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With regard to Uniworld, their newer super ships have a chair elevator, which takes people to the sun deck. With regard to their shore excursions, if you go to their website, and choose “already booked” you can look at the cruises shore excursions in a more in-depth manner. On every cruise I’ve been on, their has been a gentle walker group fro those who need to proceed at a slower pace. And, if you ask the guide, they will tell you where the meet-up place is, and when, if you find the tour to be too long, you need a rest, or simply want to go off on your own.

You may also want to consider a shorter cruise, in case your parents don’t find river cruising to be to their liking. Perhaps just a Rhine, or just a Danube alone. Also, we found the Seine, Paris to Normandy, to probably be the least strenuous, overall.

Last, to minimize rafting with other ships, consider traveling early (March, early April) or late (late Oct-Nov) as there are fewer crowds and fewer ships sailing)

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Go9ersjrh,

Quote Cypbercat: "River cruising is nothing at all like ocean cruising except both involve water and a ship emoji16.png. And as someone else pointed out the ships are often moored together so you may have to cross through another or more to get off and on. We only had this a couple of times with only one other Viking ship, so it wasn’t an issue."

This gave me a thought. You might find Viking to be a good fit for older folks as from experience here on the board they seem to have the "oldest age range", no gym on board and the gentle walkers group seems to be working well with them. But more importantly It appears that - let us say for historic reasons - they have usually the dock closest to the best part of town (Amsterdam and recently Cologne excepted) and in Koblenz for example have a landing stage of their own, more favourable to other lines, with little rafting. But the situation is slowly changing so I cannot say how accurate my asessment will be next season. I found Vienna an issue as many cruise lines now dock in Nussdorf out of town where we were rafted third in line for a few hours. A bit uncomfortable for me, a problem for some others.

Others might be able to say better where Viking and the others dock in Vienna. On the Seine only Uniworld and the shorter boats can dock in town, not Viking, all 135m boats are out of town.

Viking does indeed offer included coach trips and has shuttles for some towns.

Do not sail the Elbe with Viking unless you are prepared for the ups and downs or river levels there. See the thread on the Elbe.

The Rhine and Danube (as well as the Moselle and Main) are great rivers to explore and I would agree with past posters that a shorter cruise of let us say seven or eight nights (without pre- or post- cruise) might be better.

If you are happy to be more adventurous with food you can try CroisiEurope with their French style, being based in Strasbourg. A very reliable company.

Oh, have you discussed with your parents if they have a preference for country, distance or a special interest? A relative who had been born in x or y and they would like to see that place if possible or the area?

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

A small group of older women were on the AMA Serena in May on the Danube. We did many of the slow walker excursions and I was very impressed with how it was handled. Several in our group just couldn't do a lot of steps and a fast pace. The transportation took us closer and the tour guides walked slower. One woman was in a wheel chair and AMA just took care of it......

Thank you all for the wonderful information. Now I'll be in a much better position to talk to my parents about river cruising and is it right for them. And if we choose to go, that they are aware of the potential obsticules. (I think they would have a hard time traversing several boats to get to the shore. I know that they usually don't go into a port they have been to before if they have to tender in.) I do think they could do the slow walks and enjoy themselves.

Thank you all for the wonderful information. Now I'll be in a much better position to talk to my parents about river cruising and is it right for them. And if we choose to go, that they are aware of the potential obsticules. (I think they would have a hard time traversing several boats to get to the shore. I know that they usually don't go into a port they have been to before if they have to tender in.) I do think they could do the slow walks and enjoy themselves.

Again I can’t speak about other lines, but we were only moored with (commonly known as rafting) with other Viking ships so walking from one to another was as easy as walking off the ship - nothing at all like tendering on an ocean cruise. I don’t know how common it is to be rafted with another line. It may depend on the river you choose.

This is what it looked like for us.

http://cyberkatkreations.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p265836361-3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The person in the vest was on our ship as we walked to the other

Rafting sometimes requires stairs, but if they can do a few - assisted if needed because crews are amazing - it should be ok. It's never rough like tendering, or with big steps, but boats aren't always at the same level and it's not always like walking door to door to door ;-)

From my experience as a mobility challenged traveller on 2 viking cruises ( the most recent last month) is the ability (if needed) to navigate the set of stairs to sun deck. This is important if you are rafted w a non viking boat and want to participate on that days excursions.

Viking ships rafted together is a simple procedure - just walk through the lobby of the other ship. One morning we woke up rafted next to an AMA ship so we had to go to up to the Viking sundeck - walk across a ramp and then go down the stairs on the other ship. It was doable - but be aware of that .

Also make sure you book a cabin on lobby level or above to utilize elevator. Also - be advised that the ships move around during the day...one day we rafted and walked through the Viking Var for the morning excursion and when we came back for lunch, our ship had moved closest to the pier while another Viking ship had moved into our slot -- we walked straight through our lobby and tried to open the doors to board that ship!

I had several fellow travelers using walkers or canes and the tour guides assigned to the "leisurely walkers" group always were very mindful of inclines, steps and treacherous footing. we did not cover as much ground, but still managed to see the highlights.

Good luck.

My husband and I have done the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on Viking when I was using a rollator. You have not indicated if your parents use mobility devices so I will assume they do not. On our cruise their were several walkers and wheelchairs not used much on the ship but for excursions. One thing that I especially enjoyed was sitting on our balcony as we sailed from one town to another while my husband and others bussed and toured. As others have said, Viking tries to let people go at the pace they prefer and often would take some guests on to a new venue while others were touring longer at the previous one.

As you research this you might want to also post this same topic on the accessible travel thread. There are many experienced travelers there who will share their own hints and opinions.

Happy sailing.