To cancel and rebook? What would you do?

jldev

We are booked on a 14 night cruise next April and I have two aft balcony cabins for my family of five. I am really excited to be cruising in my first aft cabin.

However today I noticed that, on the current RCCL birthday sale, booking two cabins at my cabin grade would cost $2200 less than our current booking price!!

So I can cancel and rebook but, if I do that, I risk losing these two cabins that I have because, is it correct that there is no guarantee that those cabins would be released back into availability?

The added complication is that there is currently only one cabin at our grade (E1) left on this sailing so, if we couldn't get our cabins back, we'd need to book two D1 cabins. I'd still save $1700 by doing that but they'd be port side cabins with regular balconies. I've so got my heart set on those two aft cabins with big balconies and so I don't know what to do. My head says that I'd be silly to miss out on the chance of such great savings but my heart is very stressed about the risk of losing those cabins.

So those of you that have done this, did you get your cabins back when you rebooked?

Advice please 😊

Don't cancel and rebook. Since you are outside the final payment window, just call RCI (or your travel agent) and have them re-price it. You will get the lower price. Depending on when you booked your original reservation, however, the new booking may have a non-refundable deposit. For the savings you are talking about, it seems worth going with the NRD.

Good luck.

mac_tlc

We are booked on a 14 night cruise next April and I have two aft balcony cabins for my family of five. I am really excited to be cruising in my first aft cabin.

However today I noticed that, on the current RCCL birthday sale, booking two cabins at my cabin grade would cost $2200 less than our current booking price!!

So I can cancel and rebook but, if I do that, I risk losing these two cabins that I have because, is it correct that there is no guarantee that those cabins would be released back into availability?

The added complication is that there is currently only one cabin at our grade (E1) left on this sailing so, if we couldn't get our cabins back, we'd need to book two D1 cabins. I'd still save $1700 by doing that but they'd be port side cabins with regular balconies. I've so got my heart set on those two aft cabins with big balconies and so I don't know what to do. My head says that I'd be silly to miss out on the chance of such great savings but my heart is very stressed about the risk of losing those cabins.

So those of you that have done this, did you get your cabins back when you rebooked?

Advice please 😊

don't cancel and rebook anything. Pick up the phone and ask for the price change

As long as you booked under North American terms and conditions there is no need to cancel. If you booked Direct with Royal then call Royal and they will lower the price. If you booked through a TA then you must have your TA call Royal.

If you booked outside of North America then chances are you would have to cancel resulting in a loss of your deposit and then rebook.

If you booked directly with RCI, you may be able to call them, and cancel and rebook the same cabins. They can hold the cabins when they cancel and rebook. They can do all sorts of things you cannot do online.

Recently, I looked at booking a cruise through a web based TA. I did not like what was coming up, so I tried booking online, but as that was the last cabin in the class, and my previous attempt had it locked, I could not book it. So I called RCI, they were able to pull the lock and book the cabin for me.

Thanks everyone. Yes we are in New Zealand and the sailing ex Australia. Sounds like our rules are harsher than yours in the US unfortunately ☹

I'm thinking you would have to cancel and lose your deposit. There is a risk of losing the staterooms too, but if you have the ability to do this via direct call to RC, that should minimize the chance of losing the staterooms.

Definitely call and try to cancel and rebook the same cabins. I have also had good luck with cancelling online and rebooking immediately- the cabins have always gone back into the booking pool immediately for me.

Good luck! Love those aft cabins [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your advice. I felt sick making this decision but I took the risk and had our booking cancelled. To my huge relief, the same cabins became available so I was able to get them back again but at the cheaper price! I'm so thrilled and now I need to go and re-book my shore excursions again.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your advice. I felt sick making this decision but I took the risk and had our booking cancelled. To my huge relief, the same cabins became available so I was able to get them back again but at the cheaper price! I'm so thrilled and now I need to go and re-book my shore excursions again.

Excellent, thanks for reporting back!:D

Also bear in mind you can arrange to make the change at a time that our US and Australian friends are likely to be sleeping making it more likely your cabin will persist while you book them again. The sort of thing I've done before is to make a new booking before cancelling and then changed the room once the old room is released into the pool after a few minutes. You could perhaps do this one room at a time given there are not two of the right type available.

The lesson I have learnt is to always call and ask first. Loyalty and relationship with a good TA could help but not always. Then I consider options which often is to cancel and re-book but at least I have checked. I tend not to make threats but a polite suggestion that if I cancelled and re-booked then the re-booking may not be with them might be a little leverage if I feel that the TA is not going the extra mile.

The lesson I have learnt is to always call and ask first. Loyalty and relationship with a good TA could help but not always. Then I consider options which often is to cancel and re-book but at least I have checked. I tend not to make threats but a polite suggestion that if I cancelled and re-booked then the re-booking may not be with them might be a little leverage if I feel that the TA is not going the extra mile.

Wow you really know how to work the system, impressive :)