Cruise Insurance

Bernardo62

On cruises I use theirs and I add extra to have a higher availability for medical issues....I had to cancel my cruise this past May due to not being able to fly longer than an hour as per doctors orders....I filled out the paperwork with Carnival insurance, my doctor filled out the form, submitted via fax and I received the entire refund within14- 16 days, can't get better than that!

We never use Carnival, as they do not cover air/hotel to and from cruise, and also do not cover pre-existing conditions, which we have in our family. We use Travelguard Gold plan, and have had 2 claims processed quickly and efficiently. 3rd party plans are also usually cheaper, with better coverage.

We, too, only use 3rd party and pick 'primary' coverage only....which means that the trip insurance policy kicks in immediately and FIRST and NOT AFTER our own insurance pays. When the coverage is 'secondary', which CCL's policies are, they only kick in after your own personal insurance pays first....lots of paperwork to go between insurers, big pain to us with seemingly lesser coverage!

When the coverage is 'secondary', which CCL's policies are, they only kick in after your own personal insurance pays first....lots of paperwork to go between insurers, big pain to us with seemingly lesser coverage!
However, it is important to note that secondary coverage is not necessary lesser coverage than primary. The level of coverage varies for both based on the policy and your policy selections. Whether the coverage is primary or secondary is a separate aspect of the policy. If you have the same coverage, then the only difference between primary and secondary is the extra paperwork you mentioned, documenting that you've exhausted any primary source of insurance first, and that only comes into play if you have a claim to make.

We, too, only use 3rd party and pick 'primary' coverage only....which means that the trip insurance policy kicks in immediately and FIRST and NOT AFTER our own insurance pays. When the coverage is 'secondary', which CCL's policies are, they only kick in after your own personal insurance pays first....lots of paperwork to go between insurers, big pain to us with seemingly lesser coverage!

Since my so called Health Insurance has a pretty hefty deductible before it kicks in, wouldn't I be better off submitting my claim through my insurance company who would pay whatever after my big deductible and then having the secondary insurance pay what my primary didn't including my deductible? If so that could work out to my benefit especially if it's early in the year because then my portion would be met for the remainder of the year.

I'm not an insurance expert by any means but is this how it would work? I really don't know the answer and that's why I bring it up. The policies that I choose are secondary because I like the other coverages it has as well.

Most health insurance won't cover you once you leave your home country

Blue Cross/Blue Shield kicked in when dd got off-loaded in Belize from CCL Dream and put in hospital there for 3 days. Then my travelguard policy kicked in after that - got every penny except $5 back!

We always use 3rd party. If Carnival went out of business (unlikely), would their insurance still be good to pay for the cruise they couldn't give you?

Like most others said, 3rd party is cheaper, customizable, and you can get all of your vacation covered, not just the parts paid to Carnival.