Enhanced License

kimmie6067

I am sure that is open for discussion as the EDL is a government issued compliant document for land and sea travel.

Not open for discussion. Pretty much every premium and luxury cruise line requires that all passengers on all itineraries produce (and often surrender) a passport. (Clearly stated in your contract).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really, what is so difficult about getting a passport and keeping it up to date? It seems like such a basic requirement for travel and identification. And then, safeguarding it in a secure location when you are not using it.

Why bother with any other type of documentation other than perhaps a Nexus pass?

I have never really comprehended comments about birth certificates, enhanced driver's licenses, or military ID's. Think about this...why should someone in another country even bother looking at these. Just get the right paper and be done with it.

Edited by iancal

Here's the deal its to late now sailing on Jan.3, my husband friend told him that's what they did I was just double checking I wish I got a passport now but live and learn. I was thinking of taking photocopies of our BC's. Mine never had a raised seal when my Mom got it from the state of California 60 years ago. But really I should have to worry since the EDL is suppose be ok

Why invest energy in worrying when you say threer isnothing that can be done about it anywway? Why botther to worry ?

When you get home, why not get a pasport for a next trip?

Really, what is so difficult about getting a passport and keeping it up to date? It seems like such a basic requirement for travel and identification. And then, safeguarding it in a secure location when you are not using it.

Why bother with any other type of documentation other than perhaps a Nexus pass?

I have never really comprehended comments about birth certificates, enhanced driver's licenses, or military ID's. Think about this...why should someone in another country even bother looking at these. Just get the right paper and be done with it.

Yes- such a simple concept: one document recognized worldwide for international travel.

Yes- such a simple concept: one document recognized worldwide for international travel.

And if one can't travel worldwide there are alternatives for travel in what amounts to one's back yard. As long as one is willing to accept the small risk it's a legitimate choice for many.

Small risk? Not so small if you happen to be denied boarding on a plane or cruise ship because you have insufficient documentation/identification. And essentially loose the money you paid for your trip/vacation.

Take the cost of a passport and divide by the number of valid years.

Plus, having a valid passport allows you to travel at the last moment. You many not want to or be able to do that now, but perhaps in the future. Not to mention that fact with increasing security measures you may be forced to have one in the future-even for a closed loop cruise.

Small risk? Not so small if you happen to be denied boarding on a plane or cruise ship because you have insufficient documentation/identification.

Take the cost of a passport and divide by the number of valid years.

Plus, having a valid passport allows you to travel at the last moment. You many not want to or be able to do that now, but perhaps in the future.

One certainly needs to perform their due diligence but it really isn't difficult to determine that 1) you have a valid government issued ID and 2) a government issued birth certificate, which is what the vast majority of US citizens require at a minimum for a closed loop cruise. You might have the ability to travel at the last minute, but there are many who don't share that luxury since they have neither the time nor the money. When we started cruising traveling by closed loop cruise was the only way we were going to be leaving the country, even though we knew that at some point we wanted to travel internationally by air. After analyzing the risks we decided to wait until we had that travel planned to buy our passports. For some the passport is the best way to go, for others a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, and for some govt issued ID and birth certificate. Each traveler should use the documentation that works best for their needs.

One certainly needs to perform their due diligence but it really isn't difficult to determine that 1) you have a valid government issued ID and 2) a government issued birth certificate, which is what the vast majority of US citizens require at a minimum for a closed loop cruise. You might have the ability to travel at the last minute, but there are many who don't share that luxury since they have neither the time nor the money. When we started cruising traveling by closed loop cruise was the only way we were going to be leaving the country, even though we knew that at some point we wanted to travel internationally by air. After analyzing the risks we decided to wait until we had that travel planned to buy our passports. For some the passport is the best way to go, for others a passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, and for some govt issued ID and birth certificate. Each traveler should use the documentation that works best for their needs.

You said it perfect, however, if I would have known how much the EDL cost ahead of time, I would have just opted for the passport. You need the same paperwork for both, so I really don't see the advantage of having the EDL when the passport gives you more versatility

Exactly. Why invest in EDL when you can just get a passport that offers you so much more value?

Depending on how long the EDL is valid for, a 10 year passport may even be the most cost effective option.

The EDL (or the passport card) isn't for everyone, but there are a lot of people in my village alone whose only international travel, ever, will be crossing the border that is 8 miles away. So why should they pay for the passport when the EDL is less (in other words value is in the eyes of the beholder)? (My EDL is a little more expensive, over time, than a passport card would be but I always carry my license so it suits me not to have to carry an extra thing in my wallet.) The EDL and passport card are also good for open jaw sailings within the defined WHTI area. Again, there are document choices that work for some but don't work for others.