Medallion roll out slower than anticipated

LibrarianMonroe

We are on the Regal Dec 3rd. So will only some staterooms on this cruise get medallions? Very disappointed if we don't get one

That is correct. Princess is now saying thru SPRING 2018 only some staterooms will get medallions. Princess sold you a vacation promising all this amazing new technology, and now you won't be getting it.

I spoke with a Princess Rep yesterday, and she informed me that they are hoping to have the majority (if not all) of the ship rolled out by our January 14th cruise. She gave me the whole "we're doing the slow roll out so we can make sure it all works without affecting the entire ship....". Basically it was a non answer,as she stuck to the script. I can see both sides (about rolling it out completely vs a soft roll out), but it's definitely a disappointment that we were told we'd have this new/exciting technology and now told we aren't guaranteed.

Edited by lilfish7

I spoke with a Princess Rep yesterday, and she informed me that they are hoping to have the majority (if not all) of the ship rolled out by our January 14th cruise. She gave me the whole "we're doing the slow roll out so we can make sure it all works without affecting the entire ship....". Basically it was a non answer. I can see both sides (about rolling it out vs a soft roll out), but it's definitely a disappointment that we were told we'd have this new/exciting technology and now told we aren't guaranteed.

That's funny, because the corporate person (who called me), couldn't say for sure that we would get medallions on our TA in April of 2018 on the Regal.

Maybe the "hoping to have" answer you got was just to get you past your final payment due date (in 11 days)?

My feeling is, the whole advertising campaign was geared toward betting people to buy cruises. The technology of the future on your cruise today. Ha! Ha! Yes I booked my December 2017 Cruise based on getting the Medallion technology. May have booked it without, but I booked by cruise within hours of reading about the technology. I definitely wanted to be a part of the experiment.

I find it odd, that they announce this just after the final payment time for all the 2017 cruises. I may have cancelled if I have been able. Just seems like poor management decisions.

I know I am rambling. I however do feel Princess should have said the first few months would be soft and gradual rollout. I would have been fine with that. If I got a medallion cabin cool. If not oh well. My gut is now telling me this was bait and switch.

I suppose we will never know. I do know our cabin is not one of those testing the medallions and I’m very sad about it but knowing there’s nothing I can do about it so I guess it’s just time to move on and make it the best cruise possible despite that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably! They're probably trying to say/do anything to smooth the situation in order to prevent people from cancelling. Not having the Medallion won't make me want to cancel, but I can see where some folks would.

I also wonder how they decide who to call to inform of the change. We haven't received any emails or calls yet from Princess to explain the situation. We did book thru a TA, so I'm sure that may have something to do with it.

That's funny, because the corporate person (who called me), couldn't say for sure that we would get medallions on our TA in April of 2018 on the Regal.

Maybe the "hoping to have" answer you got was just to get you past your final payment due date (in 11 days)?

That is correct. Princess is now saying thru SPRING 2018 only some staterooms will get medallions. Princess sold you a vacation promising all this amazing new technology, and now you won't be getting it.

I was looking for the royal deck plan earlier. I noticed today on the royal page:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/rp-royal-princess/

INTRODUCING OCEAN MEDALLION™

Debuts on Royal Princess® January 2018

Seems a little disingenuous.

So if, as another poster reported, one could get $500 for not being selected, it's in effect costing you $1500 for the privilege of carrying around the gizmo. Is it worth it?

They got $500 because they got $100 per person.

So are we to assume that only those on Emerald deck in spots will have the Medallion? I don't think anybody really knows what the heck is going on. I suppose as long as I can get in and out of my room and use my card to make purchases onboard, then I will be fine. It would have just been nice to see and experience this new technology. It is so frustrating to get different stories from different people and with alot of us sailing in December have not heard of anyone on our sailing on 12/10 that will be testing it! I truly wonder exactly where these pods of cabins are?? Oh well it is what it is.

We are on the Regal Dec 3rd. So will only some staterooms on this cruise get medallions? Very disappointed if we don't get one
We are on the same cruise. We also will be disappointed if we don't have *****. However we still will enjoy ourselves and endeavor to find someone who does have it, so we can check it out. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I have called Princess and we will not be one of the ones with Ocean Medallion on December 3. I have only noticed one poster who said he got OBC in the amount of 100 dollars per person. Has anyone else actually got OBC for not getting Ocean Medallion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ok, so i watched the video on Princess.com on the Medallion issue. Sorry, but whats all the fuss about ??? Don't really see what the big deal is with this. Either I'm missing something, or what little they offer, is a total waste of money. I can tie my own shoes, thank you.......they make a reservation for you at a Specialty restaurant ???? That's Very difficult to do....They book a tour for you ??? Again, that's difficult....Why the Bracelet ?? Just have a different color room key. Again, someone fill me in here, as to what the big deal is with this Medallion.

Ok, so i watched the video on Princess.com on the Medallion issue. Sorry, but whats all the fuss about ??? Don't really see what the big deal is with this. Either I'm missing something, or what little they offer, is a total waste of money. I can tie my own shoes, thank you.......they make a reservation for you at a Specialty restaurant ???? That's Very difficult to do....They book a tour for you ??? Again, that's difficult....Why the Bracelet ?? Just have a different color room key. Again, someone fill me in here, as to what the big deal is with this Medallion.

I'm looking forward to hearing the answer to this as well. I don't get the big deal either but maybe we're missing something? :)

It's just a new convenience toy that some people feel cheated out of because they booked a cruise where it was planed to debut.

That's life.