Text app on board?

tt_moore

• 6 months later...
Awesome I was hope they had this because Disney had one last year when we were on it and we loved it.

Princess @ Sea is a ship board free wi-fi program which allows you to see the daily schedule of on board activities, check your on board account and send messages to other passengers that have been 'connected' to you. When messages are received there is no signal, so you have to keep looking every so often.

The one problem with the texting facility is that the recipient receives no notice that a text is waiting.

This is indeed a big flaw with their text option. You need to keep “signing on” to see if you have any messages. It’s free (doesn’t use any of your internet minutes) ... but just a pain. We’d occasionally have friends send us a message to meet somewhere on the ship and wouldn’t see it for hours!

This is indeed a big flaw with their text option. You need to keep “signing on” to see if you have any messages. It’s free (doesn’t use any of your internet minutes) ... but just a pain. We’d occasionally have friends send us a message to meet somewhere on the ship and wouldn’t see it for hours!

When this was first released, some of the appologists told us no notifications was good,

as you can't disturb others.

We found that it worked good on our Feb. cruise. No need to pack around the daily Patters. You can select your events online. It was great to check show or event times. It was a little unhandy not getting messages but I checked every so often and made do. I am sure it will continue to improve.

Push notification would be really handy! Otherwise you just have to keep checking it. Having said that, it was a definite improvement from the app where the messaging system was quite dodgy and sometimes messages didn't even get through until ages later.

We found that it worked good on our Feb. cruise. No need to pack around the daily Patters. You can select your events online. It was great to check show or event times. It was a little unhandy not getting messages but I checked every so often and made do. I am sure it will continue to improve.

I agree. The app is helpful in checking your bill, finding out what’s happening on-board, etc. That actually works well. When I wrote earlier, I was referring only to the lack of notification when a new text arrives as being a problem.

We used it 3 times to get times for shows and art auctions in February on the Crown, only because we didn’t have a patter handy. All 3 events had different times posted , the patter was always 1 hour earlier.

Which times were correct?

BTW, the nicest feature is that an event listing has a "map" hyperlink that will bring

up the deckplan for that deck with the event site marked.

Since it's a webpage, and most (all?) web browsers block Push APIs by default

because of spammer abuse years ago...

The real reason is because the princess app used google cloud messaging, and princess blocked that

traffic from the internet. Most browsers can receive notifications, so you don't need an app,

but not if princess is blocking the traffic.

Lots of sites now prompt you in your browser "would you like to receive notifications from blah.blah.com?"

It's like who ever wrote the app did not understand the restrictions on the ship.

Sort of like mis-implementing the medallion because the developers did not realize the ship was metal.

Also, if you use chrome, you can see which sites can send notifications you notifications in the browser.

settings->content->notifications

chrome://settings/content/notifications?search=notifications

I agree. The app is helpful in checking your bill, finding out what’s happening on-board, etc. That actually works well. When I wrote earlier, I was referring only to the lack of notification when a new text arrives as being a problem.

Does this mean that you can get texts from people back at home that are included in your iMessage and messenger? We had this on the Regal in March but I thought it was just a feel good perk because the medallion wasn't working.

Does this mean that you can get texts from people back at home that are included in your iMessage and messenger? We had this on the Regal in March but I thought it was just a feel good perk because the medallion wasn't working.

Princess @ Sea only needs on-ship connectivity, which is a freebie.

To connect to people back home, you need off-ship connectivity, aka internet package.