International Adapter...Any problems in using it?

trbarton

I purchased this adapter to use on some Princess Ships that have a European socket.

91C83142-5D3B-4522-BCAA-DED49935DF9E_zpsp3cdxpib.jpeg

Here’s where I planned to use it.

7d405066-e936-4ab5-b139-b03c21dfd8cb_zpsjmhmxfeb.jpg

I now see that it’s surge protected so I understand I’m not allowed to use it. What has been other peoples experiences?

Tom😎

What you have is a voltage converter, not just a plug adapter. But there is really no need for such a complex converter given that so many electronic devices are dual voltage. Just buy a plug adapter from European two-pin to USA two-blade (designed for recessed sockets). Or a two-pin to USB adapter for your phones and accessories.

https://www.amazon.com/Inovat-American-USA-European-Adapter/dp/B01AZ9BIKG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509220845&sr=8-5&keywords=european+adapter

This is what I have and what works best. Won't work on land in the UK, but sure works great on the ship. 8 of these for $6.39 is a pretty darn good deal. It's all you need. No converter needed at all. Edited to add: from what I've learned (the hard way) the plugs on Princess ships are for US and European outlets only, not UK adapters. You'd think you'd need UK adapters onboard, but they won't work IME.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

It is difficult today to buy any kind of 110/220 adapter or even a power strip that does not contain a surge protector. Many newer electronic and other small devices now will work on either the 120 volt 60 cycle power available in North America or the 220 volt 50 cycle power available in Europe and other areas. If you have such a device (it is printed on the device) then all one needs is something to allow 3 prong plug to be attached to a two prong (or other) outlet.

If it is not printed on the device then assume it will only accept 110 volt 60 cycle power and attaching it to a 220 volt 50 cycle outlet will destroy the device even to the point of it catching fire. You have to have a "converter" designed for 110/220 service.

https://www.amazon.com/Inovat-American-USA-European-Adapter/dp/B01AZ9BIKG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509220845&sr=8-5&keywords=european+adapter

This is what I have and what works best. Won't work on land in the UK, but sure works great on the ship. 8 of these for $6.39 is a pretty darn good deal. It's all you need. No converter needed at all. Edited to add: from what I've learned (the hard way) the plugs on Princess ships are for US and European outlets only, not UK adapters. You'd think you'd need UK adapters onboard, but they won't work IME.

Works OK until you plug a 110 volt only in it