Barbados Christmas Day

baronessk

We are sailing to Barbados for our first ever visit and will be there on Christmas day for 10 hours. I am traveling with DM who is 86. She is healthy but cannot walk long distances. Two questions: Can anyone shed some light on what may or may not be open Christmas day? Any suggestions on what is not to be missed? Thanks!

We were in Barbados on Christmas Day about 10 years ago. Shops around the port were open. In town many were closed at least for the morning. We were able to hire a taxi for about 4 hours for an island tour - the Atlantic cost is rugged and very beautiful. The driver was nice enough to give me a nice dose of her cold which I then passed on to my wife in time for New Years eve.

The Barbados Cruise Terminal has lots of fun shopping, and I’m sure it’s open whenever a ship is in port. If you want to explore, I recommend taking a Princess excursion, so your mom is well taken care of and will be picked up directly from the ship. Barbados is still our favorite Caribbean island; enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there! I found a guide who will do 5 hours with lunch! I can get more details but would love another couple who would like to come too. We are in our mid thirties, in tech and from SF and Seattle. We like nature, beaches, touring and i am always up for a glass of wine.

I have not been on Barbados on Christmas Day, but I have been at other ports, and I have been shocked and disappointed at how few shops and restaurants were open, due to the holiday. And the tourist activities were even worse.

My first Christmas cruise, I assumed that the locals knew that there was going to be a cruise ship in port and that they would give up their holiday for the extra business. But that was not the case. They opened late (noon?) or not at all.

This year, my Christmas cruise will be at sea on Dec 24 and 25, so this will not be an issue for me.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, and that everything you want to do-see in Barbados is open!