Table of 2 in Manifreds and the Chef’s Table

Oville

We have our first Viking Ocean cruise coming up in February. We are staying in a PV, and our itinerary is marketed as two seven day segments, and also as a 14 day segment. We are booked on the 14 day segment. In this situation, how many advance dining reservations are we entitled to make?

You should contact Viking directly with this question, so that you get the right answer. TellUs@vikingcruises.com

We have our first Viking Ocean cruise coming up in February. We are staying in a PV, and our itinerary is marketed as two seven day segments, and also as a 14 day segment. We are booked on the 14 day segment. In this situation, how many advance dining reservations are we entitled to make?

On my upcoming Christmas/New Year's cruise we have a similar situation i.e. our 14 day cruise is marketed as two 7 day cruises...we received double the number of reservations. I'm in a PS so we were given the opportunity to book 6 reservations per speciality restaurant.

I agree with the earlier posters that there must be a more efficient and equitable way for Viking to treat with the speciality restaurants. 12 reservations on a 14 night cruise seems excessive, especially when there are categories of rooms that don't even get to make one reservation. Also it would be great if they could find a way to link multiple cabins together for the dining and shore reservation online process.

On my upcoming Christmas/New Year's cruise we have a similar situation i.e. our 14 day cruise is marketed as two 7 day cruises...we received double the number of reservations. I'm in a PS so we were given the opportunity to book 6 reservations per speciality restaurant.

I agree with the earlier posters that there must be a more efficient and equitable way for Viking to treat with the speciality restaurants. 12 reservations on a 14 night cruise seems excessive, especially when there are categories of rooms that don't even get to make one reservation. Also it would be great if they could find a way to link multiple cabins together for the dining and shore reservation online process.

I didn't want to answer this question because I wasn't sure if the answer depended on whether you booked before or after the made named itineraries out of the combination of the two cruises.

Are the Captain’s Table and Manfredi’s very small? Sounds like they’re a perk for those staying in more expensive staterooms.

They are available to all. Don't know how much seating each has but if you look at the interactive deck plan (using the Star but they're all the same) - https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star.html - you can see they're (Manfredi's and The Chef's Table) a little less than half the capacity of the Restaurant on deck 2. The Kitchen Table is something else and really is quite small - maybe 20 or 30 at a time. But let me emphasize again the point that except for a few things like stateroom amenities, the minute you walk out of your cabin, cabin class has no bearing at all on the level & quality of service offered to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are the Captain’s Table and Manfredi’s very small? Sounds like they’re a perk for those staying in more expensive staterooms.

I think I red that they are 125 each. They stagger they reservations so you don't have to wait until the first seating has cleared before you can enter. Over a three hour time frame, they could probably turn the tables at least 4 times a night. so I guess that means there would be spots for about 500 diners a night. Some would think of leaving the World Cafe or the restaurant and others form their own reasons for not experiencing the Chef's table. Their choice but your gain in available seats in the venues.

I think I red that they are 125 each. They stagger they reservations so you don't have to wait until the first seating has cleared before you can enter. Over a three hour time frame, they could probably turn the tables at least 4 times a night.

That’s relaxing: “ Over a three hour time frame, they could probably turn the tables at least 4 times a night.” So Viking tells diners, sorry guests your 45 minutes are up so please leave for our next guests so they can have their relaxing 45 minutes, so on and so on. Dauntless, this is your best case scenario add another table turnover and it gets worse.

If Viking plans on changing tables in the specialty restaurants every 45 minutes or less, that is disappointing, but my guess is it is not even close to V’s goal.

Katie

Edited by Oville

I didn’t feel rush dinning at Manfredi’s. We spent about an hour and a half there.

On average, our dinner was about two hours long while onbroad. Some may say the service is slow at the Restaurant. But I quite like the slower pace so we can relax after a long day.

We also were at Manfredis about an hour and a half each time (when there were 2 of us). When we were with other people it was 2 hours or more. Manfredis was actually faster than the Restaurant especially if we shared a table at the Restaurant. Never felt rushed and we ate there I think 8 times on a 3 week cruise.

That’s relaxing: “ Over a three hour time frame, they could probably turn the tables at least 4 times a night.” So Viking tells diners, sorry guests your 45 minutes are up so please leave for our next guests so they can have their relaxing 45 minutes, so on and so on. Dauntless, this is your best case scenario add another table turnover and it gets worse.

This my perception based on my experience. Other people may move at a much slower speed. Everyone's results will vary. With my profession, you learn to eat quickly so that could why my pace is faster. I've never considered a meal to be the star of an experience. Some enjoy lingering and having drinks before and after. To each his own. Whenever I go to a restaurant, I'm never happy when they suggest you have a seat at the bar until your table is ready. I'm not a manipulated impulse buyer at the grocery store or the restaurant. If I wanted a drink, I wouldn't go to the restaurant. For those that like that sort of thing, more power. I was never rushed out and most people we ate with or near kept the same pace basically. If you are worried about other people, and maybe even yourself, being able to experience the specialty restaurant you might consider the drinking to go on else where on the ship and stop by the World Cafe for extra wine or beer, if you are on the included package or anywhere on the Silver Spirits package. There's a way to make this work. We're not at our private homes, so sometime we have to take in the considerations of other people.

And they wouldn't think of rushing you. I want to make clear that never happened. It was just conjuncture.

If Viking plans on changing tables in the specialty restaurants every 45 minutes or less, that is disappointing, but my guess is it is not even close to V’s goal.

Katie

When I booked Manfredi's it appeared in our MVJ calendar as a 2 hr reservation. I think your concerns may not be valid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are available to all. Don't know how much seating each has but if you look at the interactive deck plan (using the Star but they're all the same) - https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star.html - you can see they're (Manfredi's and The Chef's Table) a little less than half the capacity of the Restaurant on deck 2. The Kitchen Table is something else and really is quite small - maybe 20 or 30 at a time. But let me emphasize again the point that except for a few things like stateroom amenities, the minute you walk out of your cabin, cabin class has no bearing at all on the level & quality of service offered to you.

The Kitchen Table space is only used as part of the "Kitchen Table" shorex, which involves a food shopping expedition with the chef to purchases the necessary ingredients and then watching/helping the chef prepare the meal later that evening. It is not offered on every itinerary.

You can get a very good feel for the capacity of the specialty restaurants using the 360 tour on the Viking website (under the Ships tab/All Ships).

Ok. Stupid question on my part. Forgive me. About The Restaurant. You just arrive whenever and get seated? Right? We never ate in it when we did Viking Homelands last year. Thanks in advance!

Yes. Sometimes there were lines (opening time or right after the show). You could pick table for 2 or to join others. Joining others was fun but sometimes many hours. Depends on what you are in the mood for. A lot of times we just went to the World Cafe. Great food and if we wanted to share a table we could. A lot shorter meal time...but we found great company.

Yes. Sometimes there were lines (opening time or right after the show). You could pick table for 2 or to join others. Joining others was fun but sometimes many hours. Depends on what you are in the mood for. A lot of times we just went to the World Cafe. Great food and if we wanted to share a table we could. A lot shorter meal time...but we found great company.

Thanks! Was hoping on the idea of joining and/or starting a large table. When we did Viking River that was typical - sit at a large table & others joined or vice-veraa. And was great fun. Got to meet some cool people. Found World Cafe didn't make it so easy to do that. Or made it too easy not to.

Thanks! Was hoping on the idea of joining and/or starting a large table. When we did Viking River that was typical - sit at a large table & others joined or vice-veraa. And was great fun. Got to meet some cool people. Found World Cafe didn't make it so easy to do that. Or made it too easy not to.

On the first night of our cruise, in the World Cafe, the two of us sat at a table for four. When another couple paused by our table to look around, I spoke up and asked them if they would like to join us. They did, and we scheduled dinner with them at least five more times during the cruise, in various venues. We were even able to get reservations in both Manfredi's and Chef's Table with them.

On the first night of our cruise, in the World Cafe, the two of us sat at a table for four. When another couple paused by our table to look around, I spoke up and asked them if they would like to join us. They did, and we scheduled dinner with them at least five more times during the cruise, in various venues. We were even able to get reservations in both Manfredi's and Chef's Table with them.

To the bold go the rewards! Toujours l'audace!! [emoji2]

I will confirm that there is absolutely no sense of being rushed at any of the Restaurants. I think it would be difficult to get out of Manfredi's in 45 minutes unless you skipped courses. It is a leisurely, pleasantly paced dinner. If you don't make a point of lingering over coffee and dessert, perhaps 80 minutes is a good estimate.

This my perception based on my experience. Other people may move at a much slower speed. Everyone's results will vary. With my profession, you learn to eat quickly so that could why my pace is faster. I've never considered a meal to be the star of an experience. Some enjoy lingering and having drinks before and after. To each his own. Whenever I go to a restaurant, I'm never happy when they suggest you have a seat at the bar until your table is ready. I'm not a manipulated impulse buyer at the grocery store or the restaurant. If I wanted a drink, I wouldn't go to the restaurant. For those that like that sort of thing, more power. I was never rushed out and most people we ate with or near kept the same pace basically. If you are worried about other people, and maybe even yourself, being able to experience the specialty restaurant you might consider the drinking to go on else where on the ship and stop by the World Cafe for extra wine or beer, if you are on the included package or anywhere on the Silver Spirits package. There's a way to make this work. We're not at our private homes, so sometime we have to take in the considerations of other people.

And they wouldn't think of rushing you. I want to make clear that never happened. It was just conjuncture.

I have to agree with the above.

We never felt rushed and our timing was on par with the tables around us. None of our meals were rushed in the specialty restaurants and didn't take 2 or 3 hours. We did not skip courses. But with that said, we do keep in mind that they like to turn the tables around for other guests so we don't linger. I think we all have to be mindful of others. An after dinner drink/coffee is just as relaxing and enjoyable at another venue.

We seem to be discussing here that it is appropriate to dine in Manfredi's for 45 minutes, so that their 125 seat capacity can be turned over 4 times, serving 500 guests.

Sorry, but this makes no sense. At capacity, if sold out, a Viking ship has 930 guests. There are 4 major dining venues - Manfredi's, Chef's Kitchen, The Restaurant, The World Cafe. The World Cafe and The Restaurant are much larger than Manfredi's, so to figure 25% of guests eating in Manfredi's would be a major overestimate. That would be 232.

Manfredi's does not expect tables to be turned over in 45 minutes, or in an hour. It does not book for that rate. It is attempting to be a traditional Italian restaurant, not an American version of Italian fast food. Slow down, enjoy yourself, and linger over their good cappuccino (even though Italians never drink it for dinner). Given their booking system, I've never seen anyone arriving for their reservation who had to wait.

Oh my goodness, I’m speechless. I doubt very very much that Viking Ocean wants its dining experience in specialty restaurants (or Dining Room) to be Applebee’s or Cracker Barrel‘s. We’re paying a lot of money for our cruise and sure hope are dining experience won’t be like Chili’s.

Edited by Oville