Table of 2 in Manifreds and the Chef’s Table

Oville

PV cabins can start booking specialty dining 68 days before your cruise date not 70. I just checked our MVJ for our cruise starting Jan 7, 2018 and am being told that with 71 days to go, the booking window for specialty dining will open in 3 days. Once the booking window opens, it stays open until your cruise date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dang it, CT!! I copied that number right off the Viking website!! Frustrating the lack of consistency. But since MVJ handles the booking, I guess we have to go by what MVJ says.

It is also very interesting on MVJ that it said that shorex would be available for booking in x many days whereas for dining is says dining will open 60 days prior to booking (which should be at 3 am this morning for me). The date when shorex and dining opens is also given on your Viking invoice (a couple of pages down).

PV cabins can indeed start booking specialty dining 70 days out. However, I just checked our MVJ for our cruise starting Jan 7, 2018 and am being told that with 71 days to go (must be operating in US PDT), the booking window for specialty dining will open in 3 days.!!!!! So I just checked our invoice and it says that the specialty dining reservations opens 29 Oct 17 (today for me in US EDT). Which definitely does not agree with what MVJ is saying. Clearly, something isn't right with MVJ. When you call Viking make sure to tell them that - this particular functionality in MVJ is not working correctly. And btw, once the booking window opens, it stays open until your cruise date.

Am writing a note to TellUs right now on this.

Actually - let me correct what I just wrote - that I can't edit again - I was mislead by reading what must have been an old notification. At least I hope it is. Remember that the MVJ software is operating on US PDT. So it still thinks we are at day 71 - not 70. Sorry for raising what may be a false alarm.

Dang it, CT!! I copied that number right off the Viking website!! Frustrating the lack of consistency. But since MVJ handles the booking, I guess we have to go by what MVJ says.

It is also very interesting on MVJ that it said that shorex would be available for booking in x many days whereas for dining is says dining will open 60 days prior to booking (which should be at 3 am this morning for me). The date when shorex and dining opens is also given on your Viking invoice (a couple of pages down).

My bad. As I just wrote - I think I may have reacted to a nonexistent issue. Not stayimg up until 3 am tho to see if the day count drops to 70. And if the booking window opens. But will check it out in the afternoon. Have canceled my note to TellUs. And with that - good night all!

Btw - goes to show that folks can respond to a posting even while it's being edited. This is an earlier version of what looks like a separate post later. I wrote this note, posted it, and then started editing it - at least twice. Nevertheless my initial posting was not removed while I edited it. Mmmmmm.

Originally posted by Peregrina651

Btw - goes to show that folks can respond to a posting even while it's being edited. This is an earlier version of what looks like a separate post later. I wrote this note, posted it, and then started editing it - at least twice. Nevertheless my initial posting was not removed while I edited it. Mmmmmm.

And nix the lack of consistency comment, too. It is the same number of days in both places.

And nix the lack of consistency comment, too. It is the same number of days in both places.

It'd be nice wouldn't it if this forum actually removed a post while it's being edited? I feel like a bit of an idiot for the initial posting I made, which even tho I tried to correct it - not realizing the orginal post was still active - may have inspired needless levels of anxiety. Sigh. Lesson learned - before posting something that might cause upset - think, double check, and don't hit "post" til I'm sure it's correct. My statement about 68 days was in response to what I realized too late was a days old MVJ notification. Which sent me into edit mode. Alas! Too late. [emoji849]

Edited by CharTrav

Talked with Viking today and got reservations but not at tables for 2 and not ideal times, very disappointed with this cruise line. Perhaps Viking should do a study of how Oceania handles this process, this situation would never happen over there.

Katie

We are a family of six travelling together...our travel agent indicated that we would have to make reservations for each cabin for the same time and she would request that Viking 'merge the reservations' so that we are all seated together. I assumed that was the only way to secure a larger table, however I've been following this thread and more than one person has mentioned that they were not able to secure a table for 2, but I gathered that they could get two seats at a larger table. Is there some way during the dining reservation process to increase the size of your dinner party or to request to share a larger table?

I don't think so during the online process. However, once you board and you go to the maitre d at Manfredis or the desk at the world cafe I think you will find that you can get additional reservations for your large party. There are quite a few large tables.

Talked with Viking today and got reservations but not at tables for 2 and not ideal times, very disappointed with this cruise line. Perhaps Viking should do a study of how Oceania handles this process, this situation would never happen over there.

Katie

Katie, I agree. It is done very well on Oceania even for the lowest category rooms. I am not counting on getting anything that I want travelling in a V1 cabin with friends who are in V1 in a totally sold out sailing. At least on Oceania, everyone is guaranteed a reservation in each specialty dining room. I think that Viking needs to reconsider it's policies considering all of the worry that is expressed on this forum. Not a great way to plan a vacation having to get up in the middle of the night or stand in line once on board.

We are a family of six travelling together...our travel agent indicated that we would have to make reservations for each cabin for the same time and she would request that Viking 'merge the reservations' so that we are all seated together. I assumed that was the only way to secure a larger table, however I've been following this thread and more than one person has mentioned that they were not able to secure a table for 2, but I gathered that they could get two seats at a larger table. Is there some way during the dining reservation process to increase the size of your dinner party or to request to share a larger table?

No way to request a larger table through MVJ or to have them linked on MVJ. Make whatever reservations you can and then let your travel agent have them merged them into a party of six. Once you are on board, confirm again that they have actually merged the reservations and make any changes you want to the reservations, since more times open up once you are on board. (Also, you may want to consider talking to the head waiter in the MDR to make a standing reservation for a table of 6, which you can always cancel on a daily basis).

I am not counting on getting anything that I want travelling in a V1 cabin with friends who are in V1 in a totally sold out sailing. At least on Oceania, everyone is guaranteed a reservation in each specialty dining room. I think that Viking needs to reconsider it's policies considering all of the worry that is expressed on this forum. Not a great way to plan a vacation having to get up in the middle of the night or stand in line once on board.

I also agree. I think guaranteeing at least one reservation in each specialty restaurant would be appropriate. I don't mind having to wait till others in higher categories make their reservations. I just want to know that we will be able to try each of the specialty restaurants at some point during our cruise.

We had the same issue. We are now ten days out and I decided to call Viking and merge the dinner reservations with another couple we are sailing with. They merged our two two-table reservations into a single four-top.

We are now on the Sun. We stopped at Manfredis the first night and merged our reservations with our friends and it worked out fine.

I also agree. I think guaranteeing at least one reservation in each specialty restaurant would be appropriate. I don't mind having to wait till others in higher categories make their reservations. I just want to know that we will be able to try each of the specialty restaurants at some point during our cruise.

Especially on the shorter cruises that they are now offering.

Well, you'll be happy to know that folks like us are making things easier for you. When we were on the Star last year we only ate in the World Cafe. And this time (our cruise in Jan 2018) we are only exercising one of our 4 possible restaurant reservation slots. Am sure we're not the only ones.

Also, you may want to consider talking to the head waiter in the MDR to make a standing reservation for a table of 6, which you can always cancel on a daily basis).

I didn't know that you could do this, I will definitely make it a priority to chat with the head waiter as soon as I can once we are onboard. Thanks for the information.

Katie, I agree. It is done very well on Oceania even for the lowest category rooms. I am not counting on getting anything that I want travelling in a V1 cabin with friends who are in V1 in a totally sold out sailing. At least on Oceania, everyone is guaranteed a reservation in each specialty dining room. I think that Viking needs to reconsider it's policies considering all of the worry that is expressed on this forum. Not a great way to plan a vacation having to get up in the middle of the night or stand in line once on board.

Don't let your attitude defeat you. I sailed V1 with no advanced reservations but ate 7 times at specialty restaurants on a 14 night cruise. Word on the ship was they were completely sold out later in the cruise but after I spoke with the desk at Manfreddi's I was able to make one more meal there. Things are constantly adjusted as people's plan's change.

Not trying to defend Viking here, but given the limited number of nights (especially shorter cruise), it may not be feasible to let everyone to have a guaranteed reservation at a specialty restaurant? I've never been on an Oceania before, so not sure how dinning reservation is done on Oceania.

During my sailing on the Sun as V1 guest, I was able to dine at the Manfredi's once at 9pm in the last night. I met folks who couldn't get reservation at Manfredi's at all. So, I guess it really depends on some degree of luck (checking with the waiter outside of the World Cafe at a moment when there's an opening or cancellation).

By the way, in my sailing, the head waiter at the Manfredi's was pretty adamant that all reservations be made at the desk outside of the World Cafe. When we checked with him during dinner time about any open table, he said he didn't have access to the reservation system.

Edited by sleepybobo

We have our first Viking Ocean cruise coming up in February. We are staying in a PV, and our itinerary is marketed as two seven day segments, and also as a 14 day segment. We are booked on the 14 day segment. In this situation, how many advance dining reservations are we entitled to make?