Tipping on ncl escape

keeser

Leave your auto gratuities in place and it will take care of the room stewards and dining staff. If you get the beverage package or order drinks the bartenders will be tipped automatically.

All you need to worry above and beyond that is a few bucks for the porters when you board, a few bucks for room service, and tour guides during excursions.

If you are in a suite you may need to tip the butler and concierge - haven’t been in a suite so can’t help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tip your cabin steward (extra) if they do a great job. Tip bartenders and waiters (even if you have a UBP) if they are doing a good job. If you have a Butler or Concierge, they are not included in the Daily Service Charge and need to be tipped separately.

Tip your cabin steward (extra) if they do a great job. Tip bartenders and waiters (even if you have a UBP) if they are doing a good job. If you have a Butler or Concierge, they are not included in the Daily Service Charge and need to be tipped separately.

Unless you never see your butler, all he did was drop off afternoon snacks and a Concierge that you didn’t speak to.

Cash is soooo overrated and everyone does it.

I like to give something personal. i get a refrigerator magnet or two from one of the ports and give that as a tip.

After all....who doesnt need a refrigerator magnet....its the gift that keeps on giving !!!!

cash is soooo overrated and everyone does it.

I like to give something personal. I get a refrigerator magnet or two from one of the ports and give that as a tip.

After all....who doesnt need a refrigerator magnet....its the gift that keeps on giving !!!!

lol

The DSC covers ALL who are supposed to be tipped. Bartenders are tipped on whatever you purchase...whether you buy "by the drink" or a package. No worries!

You may want to tip the room service delivery folks, if you use that service....$1-5 is about normal....depending on how much you order... Porters are $1-2 per bag.

We are not comont in our country to tip. But after 9 cruises we are tipping $1 a bag for the porter.

We remove 60-70% of the cruise automatic tipping. And rather pay those people that give us a great service (not good) a good tipping.

Aleays give the stewardes $10 in advance and another $10 if at the end if the service was great.

Bartender always got $1 extra for the first 2-3 days, and another $5 - $20 at the end if the service was great. Last cruise at CCL one earned $20 from us, she was great.

Almost no one in MDG regardless cruiseline was more then avarege, so that is why we don't want to pay avarege staff extra money, but pay more to people that do the extra for us!

Almost no one in MDG regardless cruiseline was more then avarege, so that is why we don't want to pay avarege staff extra money, but pay more to people that do the extra for us!

You aren’t paying staff extra money if you leave the auto tipping in place - you are paying the staff their daily wage. Staff wages are similar to the US system where tipping is a huge part of their salary and therefore they are allowed to be paid very little by the employer (for example, in many states in the US, wait staff are paid $2 an hour while the minimum wage is $8-$10); no tips equal no pay; not no bonus pay.

You aren’t paying staff extra money if you leave the auto tipping in place - you are paying the staff their daily wage. Staff wages are similar to the US system where tipping is a huge part of their salary and therefore they are allowed to be paid very little by the employer (for example, in many states in the US, wait staff are paid $2 an hour while the minimum wage is $8-$10); no tips equal no pay; not no bonus pay.

We have been 12 years at vacation in US and we know that. But we prefered to pay those people that make theire job the commont 15% extra in US, once we did not pay any tip, it was terrible restaurant in Miami (it is gone now) But we rather "overtip" the staff that go the little extra for us, then tipping everyone for doing their job.

In Norway we do not tip, as the workers have a great wage. The restaurants know if they give great food and service, we are coming back. BUT, if the food and service was great I'm tipping, even in Norway.

We have been 12 years at vacation in US and we know that. But we prefered to pay those people that make theire job the commont 15% extra in US, once we did not pay any tip, it was terrible restaurant in Miami (it is gone now) But we rather "overtip" the staff that go the little extra for us, then tipping everyone for doing their job.

In Norway we do not tip, as the workers have a great wage. The restaurants know if they give great food and service, we are coming back. BUT, if the food and service was great I'm tipping, even in Norway.

I get that. But you seem to be not understanding the auto gratuities on the cruise ship. That isn’t ‘extra money’; if you take off the auto tips to tip just a few people then there are others serving you that aren’t being paid.

I get that. But you seem to be not understanding the auto gratuities on the cruise ship. That isn’t ‘extra money’; if you take off the auto tips to tip just a few people then there are others serving you that aren’t being paid.

What is wrong to give more money to the people that give you great cruise and little less that dont't? Why do I pay a restaurant manager in MDR if I just use special restaurant for one or all/many days?

What is wrong to give more money to the people that give you great cruise and little less that dont't? Why do I pay a restaurant manager in MDR if I just use special restaurant for one or all/many days?

Where do you eat breakfast and lunch on those days? The wait staff takes shifts at other dining venues as well. There’s nothing wrong with giving a little more to the people who serve you and provide great service; but pulling your tips to do that is like taking a vacation in the US and stiffing the wait staff that only provided good service to give more to the ones providing great service. Does someone providing only good service deserve to not get paid?

These discussions are an exercise in futility. I would bet my last dollar that no one on this forum has ever changed the mind of another poster when it comes to cruise ship tipping.

I just follow the program and pay what they ask for the DSC and drink gratuities, easy, quick and painless.

Tip who you want, when you want and how you want. It's not our responsibility to worry about the paychecks of any of the employees.

I can assure you that servers in California are paid $10.00 an hour plus tips. My daughter and her boyfriend are both servers in a high end steak house. I can't believe some states still have those $2.00 wages, that is slavery.

Candi

I can assure you that servers in California are paid $10.00 an hour plus tips. My daughter and her boyfriend are both servers in a high end steak house. I can't believe some states still have those $2.00 wages, that is slavery.

Candi

I made $2.35 an hour when I waitresses (around 10 years ago). Apparently it has gone up - up to a big fat $4 an hour. Not sure how other states do it.

2b6b6503c632e7f2781c34de2a2c0328.jpg

Where do you eat breakfast and lunch on those days? The wait staff takes shifts at other dining venues as well. There’s nothing wrong with giving a little more to the people who serve you and provide great service; but pulling your tips to do that is like taking a vacation in the US and stiffing the wait staff that only provided good service to give more to the ones providing great service. Does someone providing only good service deserve to not get paid?

The crew have a union agreement and are GUARANTEED a contracted amount. If you want to see FACTS, go to the union website.

If the DSC does not provide enough funds to pay the required amount, the cruise line must make up the shortfall

Please try to keep the information posted on CC accurate.

Comments about "stiffing the crew" have no basis since they are guaranteed a contracted salary.

The crew have a union agreement and are GUARANTEED a contracted amount. If you want to see FACTS, go to the union website.

If the DSC does not provide enough funds to pay the required amount, the cruise line must make up the shortfall

Please try to keep the information posted on CC accurate.

Comments about "stiffing the crew" have no basis since they are guaranteed a contracted salary.

Their contracted salary is the minimum they will receive. But the DSC helps them to receive more than that minimum. So, removing the DSC takes away some of the "above minimum" they would receive.

Their contracted salary is the minimum they will receive. But the DSC helps them to receive more than that minimum. So, removing the DSC takes away some of the "above minimum" they would receive.
I'm surprised folks don't understand this or do they think that the crew just works for the union's contracted minimum amount. Not to mention that it has been said a ton of times, by former cruise line employee, that if the DSC is removed it does hurt the crew.

I'm surprised folks don't understand this or do they think that the crew just works for the union's contracted minimum amount. Not to mention that it has been said a ton of times, by former cruise line employee, that if the DSC is removed it does hurt the crew.

Some posts indicate that crew members don't see a difference in their pay, so we are not sure if they gain or lose from the DSC.

Just because some things are repeated many times doesn't make them true.

The big question is why NCL won't divulge how the DSC is distributed.

A cursory look at the numbers will indicate that the DSC funds are usually sufficient to meet the pay requirements, so if anybody is stiffing the crew it is the cruise line.

I usually tip my room steward a bit on the first day and let them know of any special requests I may have (extra ice or pillows etc) if they give me above average service I will tip them more at the end. I always tip at least a dollar for each drink I order. I know gratuities are included, but I notice that even when its busy I get noticed. Dining servers I tip based on service. I might not tip as much as I tip on land, but I fell it should be done to recognize service of people who work 8-9 months straight without a day off.