Wine at steakhouse, night #1

Sundiego

Have cruised Carnival many times and should know this but I don't. So help me out here!!

I know night #1 in the steakhouse offers the perk of a bottle of free (cheap) wine or 50% off a nicer bottle. If we opt for the free bottle... is that one bottle per table or per cabin? We have 3 couples from 3 cabins (6 people). So is that ONE bottle or 3 bottles?

If we opt for the 50% off, is that unlimited? As in a bottle of white for couple number 1 and a bottle of Cabernet for couple number 2 and a bottle of Merlot for couple number 3?

Also, are there any other perks for booking night #1 (special appetizer for example?)

Thanks very much!!!

~Denise

I have heard tell on these boards that you will need to do some talking to get more than one free bottle per table. And, while I believe the rules call for only one 50% off per table, my wife and I were able to get two bottles at half price. The waiter had to go talk to the manager, so it may be a case-by-case basis. We did it because the wife wanted white and I wanted red. We were also celebrating an anniversary, so that could have played a part in it. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Free bottles were Santa Carolina. I believe the choices were a Chardonnay and a Cabernet. But, we were not getting the free bottle, so I can't say there wasn't a muscato. I don't think you can get both the free bottle and a 50% off bottle.

I have a question about this also, is it a specific type of white wine, or do you have a selection? More specifically, can I get a bottle of Moscato?

If your asking about the free wine it is a chardonnay made by santa clara wineries and we found it underinkable. Wish we could have subbed a moscato

We have done it both ways, free bottle and 50% off but not together. As others have mentioned, it probably would take some sweet talk to get them to do that ( not sure why they would).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done it both ways, free bottle and 50% off but not together. As others have mentioned, it probably would take some sweet talk to get them to do that ( not sure why they would).

Each ship will do it according to their own rules. Some will allow each couple a free bottle and some restrict to one bottle per table.

Some people have managed to order multiple bottles at 50% off and some not.

Consistency in things is not Carnivals strong point.

I assume you all know that the "free" bottle of Santa Carolina wine retails for approx $5/bottle. Remember the old saying:

"Life is too short to drink bad wine."[emoji485]

I have also been told that "there is no such thing as bad free wine."

I don't believe everything I am told, though. I have heard reports that the Santa Carolina may put that saying to the test. Seriously, though, at 50% off, you can get a decent bottle for under $20. We're talking Hess Select/Kendall Jackson territory. Not great, but shouldn't distract from the meal.

I don't believe everything I am told, though. I have heard reports that the Santa Carolina may put that saying to the test. Seriously, though, at 50% off, you can get a decent bottle for under $20. We're talking Hess Select/Kendall Jackson territory. Not great, but shouldn't distract from the meal.

We thought that when we got the free bottle of Santa Clara chardonnay it was not quite worth what we paid for it.

Just off an NCL cruise where the cruise line gifted us a bottle of Santa Carolina Merlot. I am NOT a wine snob by any stretch. But I could not drink it and ended up pouring it down the drain. So thank you everyone. You have answered my question!

~Denise

I am not a wine snob either and actually drink Venezia or Peter Vella boxed Chablis! :o Difference is I make wine spritzers. I use about 2/3 wine and 1/3 lemon lime soda and LOTS of ice and it tastes just FINE. So I always bring a can or 2 of lemon lime soda (allowable carry on) and make my spritzer with the free wine. So it works for me, but for someone who is used to drinking GOOD wine or has a favorite, it might be a problem and better to order what you want for 50% off. Just my 2 cents! Cheers! :wine-glass::bottle-pop:

Been on several cruises where we did the steakhouse the first night. On the Liberty, several years ago, we were able to get a free bottle and purchase a bottle for 50% off. We bought a bottle Dom Perignon (bucket list item) at half price. The last time we went to the steakhouse, they told us that the different policies on different ships was causing a problem, so it was either a free bottle or 50% off a purchased bottle. HOWEVER, because it was our anniversary, they gave us both. I think that perk is a manager decision.

We sailed with another couple last summer, on the Magic, and got 2 bottles of free wine. We tried the Chardonnay and the Cabernet. Neither was very good, but you get what you pay for, I guess. The other couple also bought a bottle @ 50% off.

I really appreciate all the feedback! I think we'll go for the 50% off bottle and if they gift us the free bottle as some have mentioned, we'll certainly take it! I don't have the Cheers package so maybe the Santa Carolina will taste better on this cruise :)

~Denise

I really appreciate all the feedback! I think we'll go for the 50% off bottle and if they gift us the free bottle as some have mentioned, we'll certainly take it! I don't have the Cheers package so maybe the Santa Carolina will taste better on this cruise :)

~Denise

Enjoy your cruise, let us know your thoughts when you return.