pants vs shorts

philly22

Well, I wear long pants to dinner. The reason is because the dress code says so, and out of respect, I dress based on it. Now a specialty restaurant says "smart casual". Instead of a polo short and jeans, I will but on a nice pair of pants and a button down shirt. Depending on the trip, and if I am flying to Europe, or someplace else, I will skip out on the suit and tie, because and go to the specialty restaurant on formal night because it is "smart casual" and cost less than the overweight luggage would.

Although I don't care what others wear, it is nice when the people you eat with are not wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops at dinner. It doesn't take much to wear a polo shirt, and long pants and sneakers.

Do I wish they would change the suggestions? Sure it would just be nice, but until than, I will just respect the suggestions, and follow them.

At home, very seldom do I ever eat out in shorts. If it is planned dinner, I change before going out. (except for McDonalds)

Participate in what?

Missing out on what?

Guarantee sounds dubious...

Ok, I will answer this in a respectful way, because I do understand the viewpoint that many people share. When on vacation, they don't want to bother with dressing up. They just want to relax. I understand that. I really do. Also, I think it should be pointed out that there's a difference between dressing casually and dressing sloppily. I would never form a negative opinion of someone because they're wearing nice shorts and a clean t shirt, even if it is in the MDR. But if (in the context of a nice dining room) those shorts are baggy basketball shorts and the shirt is either ripped or is festooned with slogans of dubious appropriateness (ie - Who Farted) , then I will judge you. Oh yes I will without shame judge you. And so will the majority of people. Then again, if I see that outfit at a sports bar, I got no problem. It's a matter of what's appropriate for the situation.

But to answer the question, "participate in what?" what we are participating in is an elegant evening in beautiful surroundings. If I go to the swimming pool in a tuxedo, I'm not participating (unless, I guess, if someone throws me in), I'm just there,and what's more, I look out of place. When I dress up for dinner, I am participating in that I am doing my part to support and share the kind of experience that the cruise line is trying to provide. That's not my obligation, but it's something that I choose to do, because I enjoy it, and because I would consider it disrespectful not to. I don't intend to imply that those who don't dress up are being disrespectful. As I said, I recognize that there are other viewpoints.

Your second question, "missing out on what" has essentially the same answer. You're missing out on being part of the beauty of an elegant evening. People are presenting the best version of themselves. They have made an effort to look nice. And it is nice to see. I can appreciate the natural beauty of a woman in a t-shirt and jeans, with no makeup and her hair in a pony tail, but that doesn't mean that I don't silently say "wow!" when I see that woman in a beautiful dress, flawlessly coiffed and made up. I'd venture to say the same for men. People appreciate it when you make the effort to look your best. Whether it is a sunset at sea or a beautifully dressed woman, our eyes are drawn to beauty no less surely than a compass needle points north. Beauty is its own justification. That is what you are missing out on.

As to the dubiousness of my guarantee, let me say this. Obviously, I don't mean that a well dressed person will get better service than someone dressed more casually every single time. But in general, all other things being equal, it definitely makes a difference. Not only have I observed this in various scenarios (shopping, at work, dining out, at the grocery store) , I have paid close attention. If you think it makes no difference, you're just not paying attention. I sometimes joke that there are university studies proving this or that, this is not a joke. There are university studies that prove conclusively that appearance matters, for a plethora of reasons.

It's still your right to choose not to dress up. But don't mock me when I do.

theotherchad, I wholeheartedly agree. Very nicely said. When we cruise my husband and I dress for dinner. We rarely go out to dinner at home and usually only on special occasions. Dinner on a cruise is, to us, a special occasion and so we dress appropriately. It is what you want to make of it. On one cruise our dear tablemates decided formal night was going to be a date night. He made her an appointment at the salon to have her hair done while he dressed then left the room before she returned giving her time to dress. Then he knocked on the door to pick her up, flowers in hand, and they went on a date to dinner. Now that is making the most of it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Well, I wear long pants to dinner. The reason is because the dress code says so, and out of respect, I dress based on it. Now a specialty restaurant says "smart casual". Instead of a polo short and jeans, I will but on a nice pair of pants and a button down shirt. Depending on the trip, and if I am flying to Europe, or someplace else, I will skip out on the suit and tie, because and go to the specialty restaurant on formal night because it is "smart casual" and cost less than the overweight luggage would.

Although I don't care what others wear, it is nice when the people you eat with are not wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops at dinner. It doesn't take much to wear a polo shirt, and long pants and sneakers.

Do I wish they would change the suggestions? Sure it would just be nice, but until than, I will just respect the suggestions, and follow them.

At home, very seldom do I ever eat out in shorts. If it is planned dinner, I change before going out. (except for McDonalds)

This is very similar to what i do.

Ok, I will answer this in a respectful way, because I do understand the viewpoint that many people share. When on vacation, they don't want to bother with dressing up. They just want to relax. I understand that. I really do. Also, I think it should be pointed out that there's a difference between dressing casually and dressing sloppily. I would never form a negative opinion of someone because they're wearing nice shorts and a clean t shirt, even if it is in the MDR. But if (in the context of a nice dining room) those shorts are baggy basketball shorts and the shirt is either ripped or is festooned with slogans of dubious appropriateness (ie - Who Farted) , then I will judge you. Oh yes I will without shame judge you. And so will the majority of people. Then again, if I see that outfit at a sports bar, I got no problem. It's a matter of what's appropriate for the situation.

But to answer the question, "participate in what?" what we are participating in is an elegant evening in beautiful surroundings. If I go to the swimming pool in a tuxedo, I'm not participating (unless, I guess, if someone throws me in), I'm just there,and what's more, I look out of place. When I dress up for dinner, I am participating in that I am doing my part to support and share the kind of experience that the cruise line is trying to provide. That's not my obligation, but it's something that I choose to do, because I enjoy it, and because I would consider it disrespectful not to. I don't intend to imply that those who don't dress up are being disrespectful. As I said, I recognize that there are other viewpoints.

Your second question, "missing out on what" has essentially the same answer. You're missing out on being part of the beauty of an elegant evening. People are presenting the best version of themselves. They have made an effort to look nice. And it is nice to see. I can appreciate the natural beauty of a woman in a t-shirt and jeans, with no makeup and her hair in a pony tail, but that doesn't mean that I don't silently say "wow!" when I see that woman in a beautiful dress, flawlessly coiffed and made up. I'd venture to say the same for men. People appreciate it when you make the effort to look your best. Whether it is a sunset at sea or a beautifully dressed woman, our eyes are drawn to beauty no less surely than a compass needle points north. Beauty is its own justification. That is what you are missing out on.

As to the dubiousness of my guarantee, let me say this. Obviously, I don't mean that a well dressed person will get better service than someone dressed more casually every single time. But in general, all other things being equal, it definitely makes a difference. Not only have I observed this in various scenarios (shopping, at work, dining out, at the grocery store) , I have paid close attention. If you think it makes no difference, you're just not paying attention. I sometimes joke that there are university studies proving this or that, this is not a joke. There are university studies that prove conclusively that appearance matters, for a plethora of reasons.

I loved your post because word for word i could have said exactly the same thing.

Well done.

theotherchad, I wholeheartedly agree. Very nicely said. When we cruise my husband and I dress for dinner. We rarely go out to dinner at home and usually only on special occasions. Dinner on a cruise is, to us, a special occasion and so we dress appropriately. It is what you want to make of it. On one cruise our dear tablemates decided formal night was going to be a date night. He made her an appointment at the salon to have her hair done while he dressed then left the room before she returned giving her time to dress. Then he knocked on the door to pick her up, flowers in hand, and they went on a date to dinner. Now that is making the most of it!

That was lovely to hear.

To each their own. Dress up or don't.

What it comes down to is this: You can either allow others to impact your experience or not.

Last month on Adventure my wife and I ate at Giovanni's on a formal night. I was wearing khaki pants and a button-up shirt. About 15 minutes after we sat, a couple came in wearing shorts. They were seated at the table next to us.

The amount it mattered to our dining experience you could pour into a thimble and still have room for a double martini.

That's a beautiful idea!

It almost sounds like many don’t go out often or have date nights?? Don’t dress up much??

We live in Paradise so everyday is special to us.

I don’t wear shorts into the MDR and generally on formal night we find alternative dinning. However, to us what others wear doesn’t bother us.

Smokers and people who don’t shower are a bigger issue than shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It almost sounds like many don’t go out often or have date nights?? Don’t dress up much??

I don’t wear shorts into the MDR and generally on formal night we find alternative dinning. However, to us what others wear doesn’t bother us.

I agree with a lot of your comments.

I didn't realize smoking was allowed in the dining room.:rolleyes:

I didn't realize smoking was allowed in the dining room.:rolleyes:

It’s not but the smell follows them around, on their clothes, in their hair. Smell like an Ashtray.

Those that don’t shower, smell as bad but a different smell.

Smells turn us off more than shorts.

Maybe I am naive, but I have not seen many posts mocking people for dressing up. The only mocking seems to be from those that feel that others not dressing up to their standards are wrong. Most of the posts by people who would rather not dress to the 9's (I am one of those) just say live and let live, and don't worry about what others wear.

I wear shorts everywhere at least 9 months of the year (it is 40 degrees F for a high here today, and I am at work in shorts). I just am much more comfortable in shorts, as I don't like sweating, which I do easily, which could then offend others in different ways.

I actually went out an bought a suit for our cruise earlier this year, but only wore it once, as I really did not want to wear it for the second formal night. I am not one that would ever wear gym shorts or even a t-shirt to dinner, I wear khaki shorts, nice polos or button down shirts.

I do appreciate that others like to dress up and even like seeing it, but whether people at some other table dress up or wear gym shorts does not effect my meal. If somebody does come in gym shorts, it would give my wife and I something to discuss. We also had some nice conversations about some that dressed way up, but the woman's gown was very revealing. Neither of these effected our dinner, other than giving us conversation pieces.

It’s not but the smell follows them around, on their clothes, in their hair. Smell like an Ashtray.

Those that don’t shower, smell as bad but a different smell.

Smells turn us off more than shorts.

Fortunately in the UK smoking is banned indoors because previously even us non smokers smelled like ashtrays when we had been in a bar ir restaurant.

Maybe I am naive, but I have not seen many posts mocking people for dressing up. The only mocking seems to be from those that feel that others not dressing up to their standards are wrong. Most of the posts by people who would rather not dress to the 9's (I am one of those) just say live and let live, and don't worry about what others wear.

I wear shorts everywhere at least 9 months of the year (it is 40 degrees F for a high here today, and I am at work in shorts). I just am much more comfortable in shorts, as I don't like sweating, which I do easily, which could then offend others in different ways.

I actually went out an bought a suit for our cruise earlier this year, but only wore it once, as I really did not want to wear it for the second formal night. I am not one that would ever wear gym shorts or even a t-shirt to dinner, I wear khaki shorts, nice polos or button down shirts.

I do appreciate that others like to dress up and even like seeing it, but whether people at some other table dress up or wear gym shorts does not effect my meal. If somebody does come in gym shorts, it would give my wife and I something to discuss. We also had some nice conversations about some that dressed way up, but the woman's gown was very revealing. Neither of these effected our dinner, other than giving us conversation pieces.

You make a lot of valid points which we recognise as talking points too.

You are not naive and I agree. Most of the dress code threads I read here are more about looking down on the people who disregard dress codes in one way or another, or don't care to dress for formal nights. I agree with your post 100%.

I also have to wonder, do those people who are concerned with what others are wearing only feel that way on cruises, or does it apply to everywhere in life? Because most restaurants have no sort of dress code other than requiring a shirt and shoes, so there is much more room for a variety of dressing. For example when we dine at a steakhouse such as Morton's or Ruths Chris, many people are dressed in jeans and sneakers, very casual. The first time I saw it I was a little surprised, as the Morton's dining room is very elegant and the meal is very expensive. But it didn't not bother me and made me feel I could be more relaxed on future visits.

You are not naive and I agree. Most of the dress code threads I read here are more about looking down on the people who disregard dress codes in one way or another, or don't care to dress for formal nights. I agree with your post 100%.

I also have to wonder, do those people who are concerned with what others are wearing only feel that way on cruises, or does it apply to everywhere in life? Because most restaurants have no sort of dress code other than requiring a shirt and shoes, so there is much more room for a variety of dressing. For example when we dine at a steakhouse such as Morton's or Ruths Chris, many people are dressed in jeans and sneakers, very casual. The first time I saw it I was a little surprised, as the Morton's dining room is very elegant and the meal is very expensive. But it didn't not bother me and made me feel I could be more relaxed on future visits.

I have seen that also. When I was growing up, there was no way that the few times I got to go to a nice restaurant (usually red lobster 2 times a year at most), nobody would even think about going in less than their Sunday best. I think the fact that people seem to go out to eat much more than they used it part of the change, but that is just it, the culture has changed. Going out to eat is not the big production it used to be. My kids have gone out to nice restaurants 1-2 times per week (or more) their entire lives, it is just something we like to do.

We almost did not take a cruise last year (it was our first in 20 years) due to potentially needing to dress up, and instead would have done an all-inclusive, but wanted the shows and other entertainment. We are glad we did, and glad that it is more relaxed now than it used to be.

I would personally see nothing wrong with have 1 (or 2) floors of the mdr only formal dress for those that want it, but I do think that choices are good for consumers.

Bern’s in Tampa requires a jacket for men (which they will supply).

Vic and Anthony’s (Steakhouse) Houston TX wouldn’t let me in with shorts.

But how about cruisers at your table who watch CNN on their smartphones?;p

Bern’s in Tampa requires a jacket for men (which they will supply).

Vic and Anthony’s (Steakhouse) Houston TX wouldn’t let me in with shorts.

Every time we come to Orlando on holiday i wear smart shorts and polo shirts on a night time in Longhorns or other eating establishments.

Every time we come to Orlando on holiday i wear smart shorts and polo shirts on a night time in Longhorns or other eating establishments.

See what it’s like to live in Paradise!!!

You really think the MDR is better than many of the other eating establishments? I don’t.