Port Everglades

Lovetocruise2150

Has anyone cruised out of Port Everglades recently? Last November when we did we had to wait in a line wrapped around the outside of the building for 3 1/2 hours. Everything was very unorganized. Is it always that bad? Wondering about leaving from there again but nervous from our previous experience. When we left out of Galveston we were on the ship within 45 mins.

Something very unusual must have been going on for you to have to wait 3.5 hours outside the terminal. We've not had that happen at Port Everglades.

I think there was an issue with the people getting off the ship before us but there was so much mis-communication I'm not entirely sure.

I was on board Allure last November and there was a virus breakout and the whole ship had to be scrubbed down. This delayed the next sailing boarding. I remember that. With no ship issues, you should board at 11am with no ques outside.

Bob (the other Bob)

Sailed Harmony out of Port Everglades a couple weeks ago. Got to the port at 10AM or so. Parked in one of the first spots, walked up to the terminal... nobody there at all. Literally walked right through and on to the ship. I think we were having drinks at 10:30 in the Solarium.

To say it was painless would be an understatement. There was not one time we waited behind a single person in any sort of line. I was impressed.

The OP was on Freedom so probably at terminal 29. It is not unheard of for things to sometimes get out of control there. Though 3.5 hrs. does seem excessive.

So terminal 29 is no good? 😕 Hoping I don't run into this same problem as we will likely be going on Freedom again.

In September for the Allure, we arrived at about 10am and breezed through security and check-in. I think the whole process took less than 10 mins. I even was shocked that disembarkation was less than 10 mins, and that was not with the walk off option.

Terminal 18 at Port Everglades is built for speed!

So terminal 29 is no good? 😕 Hoping I don't run into this same problem as we will likely be going on Freedom again.

I wouldn't say that it is no good but it is not as modern or efficient as terminal 18 that services the Oasis class ships. I have sailed out of terminal 29 several times with no major problems. But others, on occasion, have run into snags there.

So terminal 29 is no good? Hoping I don't run into this same problem as we will likely be going on Freedom again.

I've run into more problems at terminal 24/25 during disembarkation. For whatever reason, that terminal can be very slow to disembark, with long lines under a canopy outside. Supposedly this terminal is going to be completely redone in the near future.

Something very unusual must have been going on for you to have to wait 3.5 hours outside the terminal. We've not had that happen at Port Everglades.

We have not experienced this either but I seem to recall reading about a ship not getting all their passengers off in a timely manner. I think it might have been when Indy was charted and some of the guests were not co-operating getting off the ship.

The OP was on Freedom so probably at terminal 29. It is not unheard of for things to sometimes get out of control there. Though 3.5 hrs. does seem excessive.

I've never sailed out of Terminal 29, especially on a Royal ship. Terminal 25 is like a bad luck charm for me. I've sailed from it three times. All three times boarding was delayed and everyone had to wait outside. once it was really bad, upwards of 2+ hours. The inside isn't designed like 18 (Oasis Class terminal) with lots of seating.

I've never had a delay in any other terminal there- 18, 19, or 21. Those have all been easy and quick. and the last two are Carnival terminals, so may not apply here specifically!

My friend & I are sailing on the Serenade in Jan out of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). I don't know what terminal. We're coming in the day before because we are coming from the Mid-Atlantic area & am concerned about what the weather will be like. The only time I have had a long wait was at Baltimore for a Carnival ship. I can only hope we don't have to do that again but will roll with whatever happens as long as I can sit. I have a bad knee & will be using a cane. Maybe they will have a handicap line?

My friend & I are sailing on the Serenade in Jan out of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale). I don't know what terminal. We're coming in the day before because we are coming from the Mid-Atlantic area & am concerned about what the weather will be like. The only time I have had a long wait was at Baltimore for a Carnival ship. I can only hope we don't have to do that again but will roll with whatever happens as long as I can sit. I have a bad knee & will be using a cane. Maybe they will have a handicap line?

You can determine the terminal by checking this website a week or so before the cruise:

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/

We must have been on the same cruise, and it was unbelievable. Have never run into anything like it. We got to the entry door of the terminal and they shut the door in our faces. Reason: too many people inside and they had to change shifts. Friends waited over 4 hours to get on. This was the first Freedom cruise out of PE. Let you know after we sail in Dec. BTW, it was the port people not Royal causing the problem. They also only had 3 customs officials, if I remember correctly, to clear the ship.

Reading the last couple comments you must be talking pier 29. Have been there three times last year and runs much better now since they did some building improvements. Pier 29 still backs up sometimes at the elevators debarking as many carry self assist numerous bags and they won't let them down escalators without a free hand for rails and lines backup. Never seen any problem with 18 except a customs delay. Bob

We must have been on the same cruise, and it was unbelievable. Have never run into anything like it. We got to the entry door of the terminal and they shut the door in our faces. Reason: too many people inside and they had to change shifts. Friends waited over 4 hours to get on. This was the first Freedom cruise out of PE. Let you know after we sail in Dec. BTW, it was the port people not Royal causing the problem. They also only had 3 customs officials, if I remember correctly, to clear the ship.

HEY beej........... we will be on the same sailing with you. We leave on 1st back to back nov.25th and doing Dec.3rd second leg on Freedom. Bob

November 12-20 of last year? I just remember it was so hot waiting out there. We will be leaving out of there again in February so hoping it's better.