Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

G'Day All.....

Well said reply to Rumba Jeff....to still be enjoying 'Cooler Four' is testament in itself that we have been able to discuss various topics without resorting to the nastiness or sniping that so often appears on the main boards and if it wasn't for the cooler I'd be long gone from these boards for that reason!

We can't please everyone but we do try not to offend and If this happens then one only has to press the report button and request for a post to be removed....which in my opinion should have been the correct way to go with this issue rather than trying to dictate to a group of folk who enjoy open discussion on any topic here.....which in turn tends to bring us all down a bit and wary of posting....but in true cooler style we welcome 'Rumba' to the bar to join us....if one can stand the heat!!

Chiropodist has been in this morning so I'm now a perfect twinkle toes and ready to hit the dance floor on the Spirit this weekend ...💃 Hair salon tomorrow....in the meantime it's shepherds pie today for luncheon with sprouts.....could be a windy day! 😊

Good Afternoon all, ...... and thanks both.

it is a shame really, because when I read a post like that, my heart sinks a little. We obviously all like having our opinions validated by others who agree with us, but people who enjoy thinking enjoy the challenge presented by others who present contrary views. And those that are clever enough will think , and sometimes they will change their existing opinion to one they consider better offered cogently by someone else. The reason why one's hearts sinks is simply because people that do not wish to hear views that are different from their own but instead choose to attack the person holding those different views to shut them up are demonstrating the exact behaviour that has caused so many of our problems. Listening to different views carries no obligations. Telling people not to state them is in my view the sign of a level of the blind intolerance of someone who potentially harms us all. The reason why forums set rules about what people can express is simply because there is a small minority who are not adult enough to engage in a mature way. And that thankfully is not "our" way.

Today the Moules Master shone his fickle finger of fate philanthropically on us and we had mussels in a yellow Thai Jungle sauce ... which was nice.

1562a7837dfc4dc1f26aa99f8e145e18.jpg

c170433d3272944eb939bae03ca8a0c6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers!

An interesting way to start the day here in the Cooler! If I may play the Devil's Advocate for a moment, is it remotely possible that rumba was posting tongue in cheek? It seems a rather bold statement to make as a first venture into the Bar. And the target was not the only poster joining in the discussion. There were a number of us splashing about on the topics. Perhaps rumba was attempting to join in the fun in what unfortunately was a rather ham-fisted way. Of course, I could be completely off base!

The mussels look heavenly Jeff! Not religiously so though! :)

Enjoy the rest of your cruise prep Miss S. And boogie away on the Spirit this weekend!

Have an awesome day all!

M,

You Canadians are so nice! :) No .... not even ever so slightly possible ...... it is I'm afraid exactly as it seems. The Cooler has been around a lot longer than that poster.

Unless this poster behaves in this way when they mix socially with people it will remain one of the disdvantages that anonymity on forums offers to those that choose to indulge themselves in rudenes to others so long as they do not do so face to face.

OK J! Most of us Canadians are quite nice until the situation presents where nice becomes inappropriate in the face of disrespect, condescension, intolerance, abuse or discrimination. The benefit of the doubt is only good for one kick at the can. I was trying to wrap my head around the idea that someone who has never actively imbibed in the Cooler Bar would think that they could control the direction of conversation here. It just seemed more likely to me that the post could not be serious. Naive of me perhaps! Rose coloured glasses coming off now!

It would have been the oddest of first posts in the cooler if that were true with very little in it that could be seen as either banter or fun. They were online for some time when I replied and I'm sure if that was the intent then they would have said so promptly - or even better used a smiley in their original post. That is after all, what they are for. I and Sophia invited them back and so we will see. Most decent people who are inadvertently misunderstood are anxious to promptly correct, and put matters right. aren't they. Whatever way around I turn my ipad it still reads the same I'm afraid. :)

I suggest we let that issue drop. If they return and explain - or not - all well and good either way. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Some not so good news. Just got an email from MyFlights. As of December 31, 2017 the app will be discontinued! I love that app! Really came in handy on our big adventure.

"After nine years and more than 50,000 users, it's with great regret that I announce that on 31 December 2017, MyFlights will be discontinued.

What's changed?

Our current agreement with Amadeus, the booking reservation system, comes to an end on 31 December 2017. Unfortunately, the new agreement doesn't give MyFlights access to the data it needs to operate.

New security procedures require approval from the booking agent before a booking can be accessed by a third party. As such, MyFlights would need a separate agreement with each and every airline or travel agent that a MyFlights user might book with in order to access their booking information. However we don't have the resource to establish and manage many thousands of separate relationships.

So from today, we have stopped accepting new account registrations and existing accounts can no longer upgrade their status."

Spooky .... I was just about to post a vote of thanks to who ever suggested using the MyFlights app.

I have had it on for a couple of weeks but late Sunday evening I received an email from it to tell me that our flights had been changed in that they (American Airlines) have changed the aircraft designation from a B777-300 to a B777-200, leaving seat assignments unchanged.

When I checked the aircraft seating plans on Seat Guru I found out that one of our ‘designated seats’ didn’t even exist on the replacement aircraft!

As it happened I managed to select seats on the new aircraft .... the last two together!

Without the App I would have been blissfully unaware ....

We are still awaiting some sort of formal notification from AA but alas I am not holding my breath.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mike! The same thing happened for our 2016 flights on Air Canada. They changed the plane, didn't change the seat assignments and we were left with seats that did not exist. We called the airline and got things put right. However, without that app, we would have been in the dark until it was too late to get seats together. And for the record, it was Jeff who originally suggested it to me and has subsequently suggested it to many others on CC. So thanks Jeff and sorry to see you go MyFlights!

Yes, it is extremely sad news. One of those things that you use and don't think of, and when it is taken away you don't know what you are going to do. It has saved us amongst many the terrible unexpected surprises that would have happened if we hadn't been warned (before others) of changes to our plans. Really at a loss without it. I check it every day or so.

Checkmytrip is an Amadeus app where it stores your flight details in one place, but it doesn't monitor for changes.

On a personal note, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for choosing MyFlights. I created the app nearly a decade ago to monitor my bookings, and added it to the App Store in case anybody else might find it useful. Seeing the app grow over the years has been one of my proudest achievements and I have been overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support. It's been incredible hearing on a daily basis how MyFlights has become an essential travel tool and helped you avoid some sticky situations.

Thank you again, and safe travels.

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Just a few days before we are off on our Christmas market safari and as wifey #1 will probably be grazing as much as eating properly I made her some nice roast corn-fed chicken with some home made chestnut, pork and herb and onion stuffing. There's some stove potato, brussels, cabbage, cauliflower cheese and a Noily herb buttery sauce.

eea103722d556603a4f3cd7825e31e2e.jpg

Greetings Coolers!

J...that meal looks soooooooo good! All my favourite vegs are on that plate!

I'd love to stow away in your luggage for the upcoming safari. However, the weight limit alarms would definitely sound! :) We've never been to your intended destination. If convenient kindly post just a pic or two of the area and food and drink. Have a wonderful safari!

Have a great day all!

Hi M,

happy to post piccies assuming I have the stuff with me to do so as it is just a carry on for the trip. I bought myself a new travel router for the Intercontinental which I have set up so that we have our own wifi hub. and I'm hoping my ipad will do all things. Taking Frances with me for the piccies and I might try some video this trip as memories are so precious. If ever you decide to join us we tend to go from the first Monday in December until Friday night. Seems to be the same week every year. We are also going back for our birthdays next September. In fact we may make three trips next year as it will be our first Singapore-free year for a while. We'll return to Singapore in January 2019 for a few weeks.

We love the Vienna trips so much because everything is free flow with no planning for each day. We just get up decide where we'll start and then wander aimlessly.

Wandering aimlessly.......that does appeal! I don't think I have ever done that. And now I think I may have been missing out on something wonderful. I am a planner by nature and spontaneity is not part of my character. At this point in my life I think it might be a good thing to try.

Apart from when we've taken cruises all our trips are pretty much that way. I remember taking some friends on one of our Vienna trips. They were also clients as well as friends ...... and in fact they use to find a way of joining us on many of our trips particularly Nice. We ttok them on a two week cruise once and that was fun. On our first Vienna trip with them they hadn't experienced serious lunching before. So they were't use to us finding a place for prelunch drinks at 11am'ish and then drinking and eating through lunch until it was starting to open for evening service.

There is something so liberating about not having a plan. A list of "options" is fine, but not a firm plan. :)

Hi,

You might need to ease him into it gently. For example, I do lot's of reading and research and print stuff off, but it doesn't become a plan. So for example i may have done some reading about places I haven't eaten in yet and print off details gut it might then just happen. This may justmwork for him.

I do however have a reasonably firm plan for next Monday at T3 LHR. A brand new Qantas lounge opens tomorrow and they have a gin bar! It looks good so we'll pop in there first then might head off to the Cathay lounge for a noodle lunch and we'll probably give the BA lounge a miss completely ..........

https://www.ausbt.com.au/first-look-qantas-new-london-heathrow-t3-business-class-first-class-lounge

http://pointsfromthepacific.boardingarea.com/2017/02/14/review-cathay-pacific-lounge-london-heathrow/

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

That Qantas lounge looks amazing! There doesn't appear to be any gin from Canada though. Maybe they should consider Ungava Gin. It is distilled in Quebec.

1072258.jpg

The botanicals come from Ungava Bay .Ungava Bay is a large bay in northeastern Canada separating Nunavik from Baffin Island. http://ungava-gin.com/en/the-botanicals/

I take the same approach to trip research as you do J. The difference is that my research typically becomes our plan. I think I need to throttle back on that aspect. :)

Amongst those gins are a few Islay ones ...... I thought they only did malt up there ... so something to look forward to.

I think the idea of simply being somewhere and saying from a choice of a few places where do we fancy next is much nicer than mapping a day out or week out ..... you become a slave of the plan rather than the plan being your slave .. ... but not if it's a single day like yours in Singapore for example. That must be planned to the hour. I think if you've had a working life with schedules, when you stop work you must learn how to be less structured and allow life to,flow over you. Spending a bit longer here and there and not fretting about what was planned to be next.

We plan our first visit or two in a new city very intensely, and we run around getting a lot of things checked off. Subsequent visits are comparatively more relaxed and more aimless.

I'm thinking of ideas for what to do in mid-January for Chris' birthday. So far the most appealing option is a few days somewhere in Europe, most likely flying Iceland air with a 1-2 day stopover on the way. Still need to see the Northern Lights!

The specific destination (after Iceland) is up for grabs. Maybe a few days in Paris, with side trips. Or maybe somewhere new. Helsinki or Stockholm are on our radar. Might be neat to visit in the winter. Will update as the plan evolves.

We almost booked London for New Year's but it got too expensive. Instead we're going to Atlanta. Haven't been outside of the airport, and it looks like a cool place to visit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Oh, he’s getting better at spontaneity, Jeff, but he enjoys the planning, especially looking for different places to eat in a new place, as well as revisiting old favourites at places we’ve been before. But he doesn’t like line ups (queues to you) and finds planning and making reservations lowers his stress level due to ‘too many people’.

Also, I am a celiac, (can’t eat anything containing gluten) so he does research into food places that won’t poison me. Otherwise I can end up very restricted in my menu choices. (Salad, anyone?)

My personal minimal amount of planning is knowing that I have a place to rest my head at night. So, if we’re heading someplace I might book a hotel for a few days, and then leave the rest to kismet. But sometimes that results in eating a lot of salads.

It’s all about the stress - that’s what kills ya.

Enjoy the gin!