Barbados Cruise Ship to Airport

labeam

Our cruise ship (Silver Wind) docks in Barbados at 5 am according to itinerary.

We were originally supposed to be on AA flight to Miami at 8:45 which seemed tight.

Now AA changed it to 8:00 that makes it even tighter.

Does anyone know how long does it take to get off the ship once it docks in Barbados and to make it the airport?

Can we make 8:00 am flight or is it too tight?

I have sailed in and out of Barbados on the Royal Clipper (227 passengers). It takes a while to clear immigration in Barbados; they stamp every passport. Even though the purser collected all the passports, and arrival/departure cards the officials still went over everthing. I always book the afternoon AA flight through MIA.

Aloha,

John

I have never been on a cruise. Silver Sea is a small ship and I can not imagine too many people getting off at 5 am. So, couldn't I be at the airport by 6 am?

The ship is scheduled to dock at 5 am. This means it needs to be cleared by local authorities, Customs agents must make their way down to the pier, and then passengers may be able to start disembarking perhaps by 6:00 or 6:30 at the earliest, I'm thinking. If, for any reason there are delays, you would never make a flight that early.

I understand it is your first cruise and I hope you have a fabulous time. :D However, please take the word of those of us who have cruised numerous times times and book a later flight. That way, you won't be spending your entire cruise worrying about this, and believe me, it will play on your mind the whole cruise.

easyboy, your link is broken so here is the correct one. However, I still stand by my earlier comments and suggest a much later flight.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

I have been on SIlversea and Barbados many times.

No you need to change the flight and get something more like noon.

You can also check with Silversea to see what the earliest flight they recommend, but 8:00 AM no way.

Use the flight move to 8:00 AM as an excuse to get something later in the day.

Keith

Sorry but you should not have booked such an early flight in the first place, but as stated you may be able to use the schedule change to get a free flight change. Your earliest disembarkation will probably be about 6.30, if the local authorities are prompt, and it's about an hour's drive to the airport; then the queues at the airport are long and very slow moving.

Really, if you are flying on to anywhere other than just Miami, you have to grit your teeth and overnight somewhere, either Barbados or Miami. I have done it both ways and I recommend avoiding overnighting in Barbados. I love Barbados and I love cruising in and out of it, but the one huge downside is that the flight times and connections are awful.

I'll be disembarking from the Silver Whisper in Barbados in a couple of weeks and I have booked an SS transfer to the airport to catch the afternoon AA flight - it looks like a pleasant tour with some lunch included. Then I'll overnight at a MIA hotel, and fly home the next day - a long but less stressful journey.