Premium Economy Air Upgrade

ChucktownSteve

AA now has limited true Premium economy for some international flights on certain planes.

"A Premium Economy ticket includes special amenities in the air and on the ground with seats behind First or Business. You can buy a ticket on our 787-9 and A330-200 aircraft as well as select 777-200 planes flying to Hawaii and on international routes over 3,000 miles. More routes and aircraft are coming soon.."

Does anyone happen to know which airlines O uses to Venice or from Rome?

I also think it's going to vary by what gateway you fly from also.

We generally get put on AA or Delta, but we usually fly out of DFW or ATL, but on our last trip we flew on United/SAS, from ORD, then home from LHR on AA.

AA now has limited true Premium economy for some international flights on certain planes.

"A Premium Economy ticket includes special amenities in the air and on the ground with seats behind First or Business. You can buy a ticket on our 787-9 and A330-200 aircraft as well as select 777-200 planes flying to Hawaii and on international routes over 3,000 miles. More routes and aircraft are coming soon.."

I’ve been looking at the AA product, since they now have the lead with the most TA PE flights of the US based airlines. PE seats seem to be configured 2-4-2, as opposed to 3-4-3 in economy plus and economy.

For the “soft” product, the website leads you to the business class meals page for the in flight meals in PE. Do you know if that’s the case? I really liked being to pre select meals in business class on AA.

We’re going to be heading to South America for our next cruise and AA has a PE on some of their flights going down there.

Is the Premium Economy Air Upgrade charged per person, per each flight across the ocean (double the $) or is it charged per round trip?

The upgrade is per person. We booked premium upgrade from Vancouver to Rome. We only were upgraded to Frankfurt since there was no premium economy on the sector Frankfurt-Rome. We the called Lufthansa and booked business class for the FRA-FCO sector which cost another $100/person. That allowed us to use the business class lounge in Vancouver and Frankfurt...well worth the price.

The upgrade is per person. We booked premium upgrade from Vancouver to Rome. We only were upgraded to Frankfurt since there was no premium economy on the sector Frankfurt-Rome. We the called Lufthansa and booked business class for the FRA-FCO sector which cost another $100/person. That allowed us to use the business class lounge in Vancouver and Frankfurt...well worth the price.

Great idea. Thankx. :D

Please be aware that, for many European Airlines, intra Europe flights are made on A319 or A320 aircraft with 3-3 seating. All seating on those planes are Economy seats. What differentiates Business/First from PE/Economy is for the former the middle seat is left empty. Otherwise, all seating is identical. Therefore, for certain destinations, if one is booked PE or BC , it is highly advantageous to book one’s Transocean flight as near as possible to their destination, so to minimize A320 time and the down grade in seat comfort.

AA is upgrading some of it’s older A332 with PE service. However, they have long already replaced most A332 with A333 which will not see the upgrades with PE. Neither will the 20 odd B767s they still use for European routes. So even though PE will exist to some Europe markets, don’t be surprised if you have trouble finding it. Most of the redesigns for PE will come on their Asia bound flights on 787 and 77W.

I apologise if this has been asked and answered, but I've read the thread twice and don't quite understand.

Suppose I buy the PE upgrade ($249 from Canada currently.)

Suppose the PE booked is 'bogus' PE.

Can I say 'no thanks', or am I locked in?

Thanks.

I apologise if this has been asked and answered, but I've read the thread twice and don't quite understand.

Thanks.

There are two ways in which it it possible to buy into PE:

#1 Would be if you were purchasing an Air Deviation and requested a PE flight. In this case you have the option of saying "no thanks", as Deviation Itineraries are never set in stone until there is a meeting of the minds.

#2 would be when you buy PE a la cart, such as when there is a promotion running. In those cases if the Airline is calling it Premium Economy, then I believe that you are bound by their definition.

#2 would be when you buy PE a la cart, such as when there is a promotion running. In those cases if the Airline is calling it Premium Economy, then I believe that you are bound by their definition.

You are correct JimandStan. This is why several us have tried to explain the term "Premium Economy" identifies a specific product (both hard and soft). Many are getting confused with mixing PE with similar sounding marketing terms (like economy plus, economy comfort, etc.). All airlines that have real PE will call it PE period and if you book PE that is what you will get (excluding short intra-Europe flights that piontlover perfectly explained) .

Cheers,

John

Thanks.

If you look at the Promo for PE most of the air carriers that O uses are true PE

But you can always check the routing & airline to see what aircraft they use on that leg & if it is true PE

It is only on the "over water" portion

JMO

Please be aware that, for many European Airlines, intra Europe flights are made on A319 or A320 aircraft with 3-3 seating. All seating on those planes are Economy seats. What differentiates Business/First from PE/Economy is for the former the middle seat is left empty. Otherwise, all seating is identical. Therefore, for certain destinations, if one is booked PE or BC , it is highly advantageous to book one’s Transocean flight as near as possible to their destination, so to minimize A320 time and the down grade in seat comfort.

AA is upgrading some of it’s older A332 with PE service. However, they have long already replaced most A332 with A333 which will not see the upgrades with PE. Neither will the 20 odd B767s they still use for European routes. So even though PE will exist to some Europe markets, don’t be surprised if you have trouble finding it. Most of the redesigns for PE will come on their Asia bound flights on 787 and 77W.

I'm on AA's new PE next summer DFW to AMS on a 772.

Thanks everybody.

Useful information.

Right now I've got the air credit and have been told I can switch before final payment. (True?)

If you choose to use O air later the price may be more than the air credit you took :evilsmile:

The PE upgrade offer may not be still valid when you choose to purchase the O air

When & where are you flying to?

You should book the PE now and cancel it later if you find a better deal. The price of the premium economy offer may increase as time passes. We originally booked a London to London cruise in 2018, paid $99 for PE for each leg. When we later added a London to Stockholm cruise to make it a B2B, the PE upgrade had changed to $149, so we had to pay an extra $50 for the return flight. Not much considering the product. We asked for a deviation to spend extra time on both ends of the cruise and now are flying nonstop in true PE on Virgin Atlantic to LHR, and returning non-stop from Stockholm on SAS. Not a bad deal for $250 each.

Sent from my iPad using Forums