18% Question....

klfhngr

Sorry to ask, but can't seem to find a definite answer:

When you get the beverage perk FOR 'FREE', are you still charged 18% for ever 'purchase'? Or is that part of the perk?

We're wondering if we'll have all of these 18% gratuities on our bill at the end of the cruise.

When you get the beverage perk FOR 'FREE', are you still charged 18% for ever 'purchase'? Or is that part of the perk?

We're wondering if we'll have all of these 18% gratuities on our bill at the end of the cruise.

You are charged 18% on the actual cost of the package and it will be on your invoice and is due at final payment. You won't see anything on your ship's bill.

Click on the promo on NCL.com. On the next page scroll down to the Terms and Conditions. It always pays to read all the information on things like the UBP promo. You will find out about the gratuities, where you can use it and also what is/isn't included.

Enjoy. It's a good perk.

You are charged 18% on the actual cost of the package and it will be on your invoice and is due at final payment. You won't see anything on your ship's bill.

Ed Zachery....

And frankly, I'm not sure I could afford to disembark without this "perk". :D

No one with UBP ever pays gratuities per drink while on the ship. This does not matter whether the package was purchased, received as a promo with gratuities included, or received as a promo with gratuities paid along with final payment.

So, if it was a free perk, at final, I'll owe what I owe for the cruise PUS the additional 18% for the 'free' perk (18% for the two packages)? Or am I safe to assume that what I currently owe at final already includes the 18%?

Sorry for not getting it, lol!!

FYI, I did read the terms.......... Before I posted this question.

Thanks for everyone's reply!

The drink package is valued at $89 daily, that is the cost if you buy it. Everyone pays an 18% gratuity on that value which is roughly $16 per person per day. NCL is comping you the actual cost of the package leaving you only paying the gratuity.

Before you agree to the package, I️ would seriously consider how much you actually plan to drink. We only spent $125 on drinks while onboard for 10 days. We would have paid $238 in the 18% gratuity fee. We are not big drinkers, mostly designer coffee. Most martinis go for $21 after tip if you don’t go with the UBP. Definitely do the math. You may end up paying more for the 18% then you would just buying per drink on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DCLCrazy

So, if it was a free perk, at final, I'll owe what I owe for the cruise PUS the additional 18% for the 'free' perk (18% for the two packages)? Or am I safe to assume that what I currently owe at final already includes the 18%?

Sorry for not getting it, lol!!

FYI, I did read the terms.......... Before I posted this question.

Thanks for everyone's reply!

Look at the confirmation you received when you booked your cruise, it should have everything, including the 18% gratuity, itemized out for you.

You are charged 18% of the retail value at the time you book the cruise. You are not charged any additional gratuity on board, unless you go over the $15 drink limit, in which case you pay the the difference plus 18% of the difference. With a $16 beverage you would pay an additional $1.18.

Look at the confirmation you received when you booked your cruise, it should have everything, including the 18% gratuity, itemized out for you.

This helped!! Pulled it up, its approx $228.... Then gratuity for 3 free dinners....

Thanks everyone!!

No, you don’t pay the 18% if you’re in a suite.

Not any more. That changed several months ago, but if you are in a suite you can choose not to pick the beverage or dining package and avoid the 18%charges.

I can say with 100% certainty that this statement is absolutely false. I have witnessed many times UBP and other free drink passengers tipping.

We are talking about the 18% gratuity, NOT voluntary tipping. Totally unrelated subject.

I can say with 100% certainty that this statement is absolutely false. I have witnessed many times UBP and other free drink passengers tipping.

Oh good grief. Way to take a comment way out of context. Let me dumb it down for you: No one with UBP is ever CHARGED the 18% gratuity on drinks while on the ship. Thank goodness the hundreds of others that read my statement understood what I was saying until you decided to confuse things.

Also worth noting that you'll be charged local sales tax (if applicable) for your drink when in (or near) port. So even though that $15 drink is "free" you'll still be paying sales tax on it as if it were $15 until you hit international waters. I'm sure a few people have confused this sales tax for a mandatory gratuity.

Oh good grief. Way to take a comment way out of context. Let me dumb it down for you: No one with UBP is ever CHARGED the 18% gratuity on drinks while on the ship. Thank goodness the hundreds of others that read my statement understood what I was saying until you decided to confuse things.
So wait, NCL was wrong for charging me a gratuity of $1.08 on the $6 over the $15 limit when I bought the $21 cocktail when I had the UBP??? .... if you have the UBP and purchase a drink over the $15 limit then you pay the difference plus 18% on that difference...... so to say "no one is ever CHARGED the 18% gratuity on drinks on the ship" is not accurate at all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

So wait, NCL was wrong for charging me a gratuity of $1.08 on the $6 over the $15 limit when I bought the $21 cocktail when I had the UBP??? .... if you have the UBP and purchase a drink over the $15 limit then you pay the difference plus 18% on that difference...... so to say "no one is ever CHARGED the 18% gratuity on drinks on the ship" is not accurate at all

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I believe that folks are saying you are not charge 18% on the ship, if you stay within the perimeters of the program, which is drinks up to $15.

I'll restate it in a different way. If you order drinks up to $15, you will not be charged 18% on those drinks on the ship.

Now I want to make this even more confusing. If in addition to the ubp you have prepaid gratuity given to you by ta does that include the ubp package gratuities.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

You would have to ask the TA, but I would say, no, it would only cover the DSC.