Canadian flights pullout of San Juan

rinkrat10

It seems all Canadian flights have cancelled all flights to and from San Juan until April. We are on AOS ending in SJ on Feb 17, 2018 and had our Air Canada flight to Montreal cancelled . We found an American Airlines flight through Charlotte. I’m a little concerned about AA cancelling as well.....any thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems all Canadian flights have cancelled all flights to and from San Juan until April. We are on AOS ending in SJ on Feb 17, 2018 and had our Air Canada flight to Montreal cancelled . We found an American Airlines flight through Charlotte. I’m a little concerned about AA cancelling as well.....any thoughts

AA and Delta have already resumed flights to San Juan for a couple of weeks already :)

I am upset to see this. We were booked on Air Canada direct to fly home to Toronto on January 7th. I talked to them last a week ago and they said they planned to resume flights to and from San Juan on December 15th, 2017. I am on the phone now with them and they will be flying me back via United instead and adding a layover, leaving an hour earlier and arriving 2 1/2 hours later back home. That is not why I paid the premium price for that direct flight I booked. I can confirm however that you are correct and flights are now cancelled with Air Canada til late April. Thanks for the post.

We are doing AA in January and my son and his wife are going AA on November 18th

OntarioCruiser

Just be prepared for flight times to be changed. AA moved ours up 9 hours earlier to a red eye instead of morning departure. I believe it had to do with lack of runway lights for nighttime arrivals.

We just arrived in San Juan today on AA from Miami. We had several itinerary changes due to flights being cancelled and finally ended up flying Halifax-Boston, Boston-Miami, overnighting there (at our expense) then flying on to San Juan today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

Did anyone originally book with West Jet and had your flight cancelled? Did they offer you another flight through another carrier or compensate you in any way? Thanks

Yes, we originally were booked direct from Toronto for Nov18/17. They cancelled on us about a month ago. They gave us a refund because Celebrity Air could not find anything suitable for around the same cost. So, we took the refund and rebooked ourselves on Air Canada and United. Now, I am reading San Juan is having new power issues and I am left wondering again if this is going to happen at all.

Interesting article on CBC

Passengers scramble after WestJet, Air Canada cancel Puerto Rico flights. Who's to blame?

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4397776

We were booked on Westjet, even though I was booked through ChoiceAir (Through Royal C) I was checking my flight everyday. I discovered myself that our flights were cancelled. We moved over to Air Canada at additional costs. Then my direct Air Canada flights were cancelled and once again I discovered this myself by logging on everyday to the airline websites and My Trips. No call from ChoiceAir. I called them and with all the issues and costs to fly out out of Toronto we decided to fly out of Buffalo with JetBlue out of Buffalo. I still check everyday to ensure our flights have not been cancelled.

We were booked on Westjet, even though I was booked through ChoiceAir (Through Royal C) I was checking my flight everyday. I discovered myself that our flights were cancelled. We moved over to Air Canada at additional costs. Then my direct Air Canada flights were cancelled and once again I discovered this myself by logging on everyday to the airline websites and My Trips. No call from ChoiceAir. I called them and with all the issues and costs to fly out out of Toronto we decided to fly out of Buffalo with JetBlue out of Buffalo. I still check everyday to ensure our flights have not been cancelled.

I know exactly what you are talking about. We were not informed by Delta or Air Canada of our flight cancellations. The article you mentioned says the airlines are telling people that it was because they did not book directly through them, but booked with a 3rd party site. In our cases, we booked directly with the Airlines and it was I who read about it on CruiseCritic and then called them about it. The phone reps even had no idea and had to investigate.

I also am booked on Air Canada for Dec 16 but they are able to rebook me on United, except I have a short 48 mins layover in Houston. Anyone thinking of just simply cancelling the cruise? I know I am already in 50% penalty zone but I am just not sure if it's worth the hassle now.

I know exactly what you are talking about. We were not informed by Delta or Air Canada of our flight cancellations. The article you mentioned says the airlines are telling people that it was because they did not book directly through them, but booked with a 3rd party site. In our cases, we booked directly with the Airlines and it was I who read about it on CruiseCritic and then called them about it. The phone reps even had no idea and had to investigate.

Same with us. We booked directly with Delta (for a March 18 return) and only heard of the cancellation via Cruise Critic. They have started offering flights again, but they are no longer direct...and they are 75% more expensive then they were prior to Maria. We booked AA now. I still check randomly to be sure the flight is still on.

Same with us. We booked directly with Delta (for a March 18 return) and only heard of the cancellation via Cruise Critic. They have started offering flights again, but they are no longer direct...and they are 75% more expensive then they were prior to Maria. We booked AA now. I still check randomly to be sure the flight is still on.

You should of had notification on your My trip on Delta web site of their canceling your ticketed flight. They should have given other options for the same price. The nonstop DL flights from MSP to SJU disappeared from their schedule following the hurricane. I had been watching these daily flight for the winter season

You should of had notification on your My trip on Delta web site of their canceling your ticketed flight. They should have given other options for the same price. The nonstop DL flights from MSP to SJU disappeared from their schedule following the hurricane. I had been watching these daily flight for the winter season

I agree. we SHOULD have. We didn't. I called and complained...nothing...I emailed...nada. I sent a public nasty-ish gram on Facebook. I got a quick response with a whole 8K of "free miles" for my troubles. It's horrible.

I was also booked direct from Montreal to SAN Juan with Air Canada for mid April. Air Canada has rebooked us through Philadelphia on American Airlines. The representative from Air Canada was very helpful.

This is the second time we are trying to do the Southern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Summit. Last year this ship ended up in dry dock. We called Celebrity and they really couldn’t care less that there are problems.

It’s a shame that customer service is so poor. I am trying to stay loyal to one cruise company but they make it very difficult.

I was also booked direct from Montreal to SAN Juan with Air Canada for mid April. Air Canada has rebooked us through Philadelphia on American Airlines. The representative from Air Canada was very helpful.

Our Air Canada flight from Montreal to San Juan for March 3 was also cancelled. They offered no option except a refund. They advised us WestJet was flying because they use a different terminal, within the same airport. We are now booked with them from Toronto direct. Hope it is not cancelled.

Yes, we originally were booked direct from Toronto for Nov18/17. They cancelled on us about a month ago. They gave us a refund because Celebrity Air could not find anything suitable for around the same cost. So, we took the refund and rebooked ourselves on Air Canada and United. Now, I am reading San Juan is having new power issues and I am left wondering again if this is going to happen at all.

We are flying with Southwest out of Detroit, one stop not very long, and its actually cheaper then Westjet.. I live in London Ontario

Our Air Canada flight from Montreal to San Juan for March 3 was also cancelled. They offered no option except a refund. They advised us WestJet was flying because they use a different terminal, within the same airport. We are now booked with them from Toronto direct. Hope it is not cancelled.

Funny how the options are different ! Why were you gaven a refund and they redirected us through the states?

;)

We are flying with Southwest out of Detroit, one stop not very long, and its actually cheaper then Westjet.. I live in London Ontario

Great option! We love Southwest, but not convenient from Trenton ,Ont since we plan to be gone for six weeks. We fly out of Buffalo on shorter trips, leaving a car at the airport.

We are from New Brunswick and its just too inconvienient and expensive to fly Air Canada to San Juan. We are booked with Jet Blue out of Portland Maine for April 2018. Its a 5 hour drive for us to get there and an overnight hotel stay but hotel provides free parking and transfers. Its easily half thecost even with the added expense of gas, meals and lodging. This will be our third trip doing this.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hello from a fellow Londoner! We are watching the SW flight out of DTW to SJU and the Jet Blue from BUF to SJU. Up until recently the flights were ridiculous prices, but they are creeping down (ish). We are traveling for March break so that doesn’t help.

Another from London here..... we've used Spirit Flight 801 from DTW to SJU many times which has a very high reliability rating and is usually half the price found on Delta and A/A.

However, if you have long legs, definitely go with JetBlue which gives you 34" leg room compared to 28" on Spirit.

3rd Canadian in a row here from London. We actually are flying out of Toronto to San Juan very shortly. We actually booked flights out of Toronto over Buffalo and Detroit this time. We found them to be a better rate. We booked the first day or so that they became available for purchase. Unfortunately, Air Canada cancelled our direct flight home and now is giving us a layover in Chicago, which is an annoyance since we could have booked a cheaper flight with a connection when we originally booked, but at least they are getting us home still.

It will be our children's first time ever flying out of Toronto. We take annual vacations and one daughter is 16 already, so that should tell you right there that we usually avoid the high costs of flying from Toronto as well. Next time, try booking the flights 11 months in advance and you may be surprised at the costs out of Toronto to San Juan.

We originally booked Westjet for the Jewel in January last year they cancelled then booked Air Canada and on Nov 6th the day we were leaving for th Brillance they cancelled so booked with cruise air

On AA through Miami. We are leaving on Jan 13th staying at Hampton Inn but have to fly home on the 29th so staying at Best Western on the 28th

Merry Christmas

Ontario Cruiser