Buying drinks for my mom....

kathyemma

sorry to highjack this thread. I'm going on a cruise in a month. Hubby wants a drink package but I don't drink. Can he buy it? I heard all adults in the room had to buy it.. do I buy it online or onboard? pls help!

Now all adults in the room do have to buy the drink package.

You can thank all the people who bought one package and then shared with others...

I didn't think you could do this. Reason being is that you could go to GS afterwards and say "I have a package, why have I been charged for this?" and then get it taken off the bill (if you were really that dis-honest!)

Although, I suppose they'd have a signed receipt from you?

A couple we met on Independence offered to buy us a drink afterwards after we'd helped them so much at Quest (we didn't have a package but they did). They wanted to get 2 drinks for free for themselves, and then pay for a drink for me and my other half. The server wouldn't let them do this and eneded up giving us the drinks free of charge as we didn't have a drinks package! Strange one

sorry to highjack this thread. I'm going on a cruise in a month. Hubby wants a drink package but I don't drink. Can he buy it? I heard all adults in the room had to buy it.. do I buy it online or onboard? pls help!

You should be fine, as the official rule is supposed to go into effect 1/1/18. If you are unable to purchase just one on the website, then you can call, and just tell them you do not drink. If you get somebody unwilling, just call back. Many have reported that even next year they are are to purchase for one by calling.

Of course you can...you can buy drinks for ANYONE you like! You will simply hand over your seapass, and tell them to charge that drink to your account. However, if you're in the same cabin, both of you will be required to buy a package, even if only 1 of you wants it. In that case, it may be better to just "buy as you go" without the package.

I didn't think you could do this. Reason being is that you could go to GS afterwards and say "I have a package, why have I been charged for this?" and then get it taken off the bill (if you were really that dis-honest!)

Dh has had the old non-alcohol package (not refreshment but whatever it was called before) and paid for my latte just fine. They swiped for his mocha and swiped for my latte separately.

If you do not drink, you can call RCI and purchase the drink package just for your husband and not for you. It is one of the exceptions.

I don't know if things have changed, but my husband had the drink package and wanted to buy a friend a drink, he couldn't so I had the drink put on my card since I didn't have the package.

I was able to purchase a drink for my daughter on my card and I had the drink package. This was in August.

I imagine you mean alcoholic drink package. Since it costs, usually, several hundred dollars PER PERSON, ($60 PER DAY x 7 day cruise = $420 PER PERSON) that would be a LOT of money for you to spend and NOT use it. I would say no, don't bother with the package.

I don't know if things have changed, but my husband had the drink package and wanted to buy a friend a drink, he couldn't so I had the drink put on my card since I didn't have the package.

I was able to purchase a drink for my daughter on my card and I had the drink package. This was in August.

I don't know why this is so hard for them to figure out. We were on Radiance in June. I had the package and DW didn't. Every time I tried to BUY her a drink they told me they couldn't do it. I had to explain to them every time that I wanted the free drink (mine) to go against the package, then they had to swipe my card again and charge DW's drink to my card. I think the problem is that so many people tried to abuse the system and get two drinks for free when they were only entitled to one. When an honest person came along and wanted to PAY for a second drink, they got confused.

A couple we met on Independence offered to buy us a drink afterwards after we'd helped them so much at Quest (we didn't have a package but they did). They wanted to get 2 drinks for free for themselves, and then pay for a drink for me and my other half. The server wouldn't let them do this and eneded up giving us the drinks free of charge as we didn't have a drinks package! Strange one

That is interesting, and totally believable given all the inconsistency I see with Royal and its crew on different ships. I kind of thing the recent "test" in the Diamond event on Majesty is a result of crew members taking the easy way out and giving away too many drinks.

That is interesting, and totally believable given all the inconsistency I see with Royal and its crew on different ships. I kind of thing the recent "test" in the Diamond event on Majesty is a result of crew members taking the easy way out and giving away too many drinks.

I believe you may be right. When I had the drink package and my daughter (over 21) did not, and I wanted to buy her a drink on my package (and I told them to charge me for it) about half the time they told me not to worry about it and I didn't get charged.

I believe you may be right. When I had the drink package and my daughter (over 21) did not, and I wanted to buy her a drink on my package (and I told them to charge me for it) about half the time they told me not to worry about it and I didn't get charged.

Thanks for that post. While cheating is undoubtedly going on, I'll bet this is a key factor in their looking at their costs, forcing all occupants to buy the package, and scanning the card at the Diamond event on Majesty where their is no dedicated D lounge.