Punta Cana - New Port of Call for Celebrity - Anybody Stop Here Yet?

Susie B.

We're scheduled to stop (via tender) on the Silhouette. It's such a new cruise port I'm not able to find too much info yet. Looks like Celebrity will tender into the Cap Cana Marina? If you've been here did you take an excursion or taxi to a near beach? Thanks in advance for any info.

Been there, but did not take a tour. They tender into a "under construction" community. Some restaurants and shops.

Hi Orator,

We also live in South Florida, every day for us could be a beach day if we desire. No tours of the island are offered, is it really worth going on the tender to a "under construction" community? Not interested in another beach or water sport excursion. Any kind of shopping area to walk around?

We were there in August on Equinox. We did a beach day through Celebrity to Juanillo Beach which was absolutely beautiful. There was nothing much at the Port, some friends decided to take a taxi into a small town and they said it was not worth the fare.:D

Sherri:)

Celebrity used to stop at Punta Cana years ago. We were there on two or three cruises. Is this the same place they used to go? If so, not a 'new' stop per se. When we were there we went to La Romana I think it was called - a little shopping area. Was pretty but not much there at the time. Dominican Republic has some beautiful beaches but definitely not my favorite island by a long shot (IMHO just a small step above Jamaica)

Please, keep it coming.

We have made contact with a segway tour group; the one called http://www.segwayecotour.com/

and they have an alternative with a golf cart. Would be interested to hear others' views. Have looked on TripAdvisor and reviews are good.

Look forward to anything any past visitors can add.

Scanditaly

Many years ago, we stopped there on an M class ship, but it was not a tender port. Maybe the S class ships are too big for that dock? I went to La Romana on a bus. Can't remember if it was provided by Celebrity or the locals. Small fee was charged. Not too much there. If they've somehow turned this into a tender port, I think I'd make it a stay on the ship day. I too have no interest in beach trips as I live in Florida.

We were there in August. Taxis and buses are very expensive. $15 pp for a coach ride to one of the beaches.

Not a lot to do in the port. It looked like it was still under construction. This was the week before the hurricane, so I'm not really sure what was damaged, and what is left. I would advise against going to the resort you see at the port as you tender in. I don't remember the name, it was not memorable! We thought that was the easiest to get to. Not. They had a 20 minute line to get bus tickets, a 20 minute bus ride and another 10 min walk to get to the "resort". Then we had the choice of a $25 pp buffet which was not good. Not much of a beach area, around a small swimming area. It might be a good day to get a massage on the ship!

We were at Cap Cana a couple weeks ago while on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. There is very little to do at the port itself. There are shuttles to the most popular beach for $20pp or $15 pp to a different closer beach. We took a private tour to the town of Higuey to see the Basilica-Cathedral of Our Lady of Altagracia. It was an unusual looking church, but quite pretty inside. Three popes have visited there. Other than the cathedral, there wasn't much else to see. You can see more photos of the area in my review on our website that is linked to in my signature.

Many years ago, we stopped there on an M class ship, but it was not a tender port. Maybe the S class ships are too big for that dock? I went to La Romana on a bus. Can't remember if it was provided by Celebrity or the locals. Small fee was charged. Not too much there. If they've somehow turned this into a tender port, I think I'd make it a stay on the ship day. I too have no interest in beach trips as I live in Florida.

I stopped at La Romana and Casa de Campo there years ago, it was a dock port, and we went to the town of La Romana from there. There were a bunch of baseball fields you could see from the dock.

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.4164455,-68.9570603,892m/data=!3m1!1e3

Punta Cana is on around the corner to the east from there.

It's plenty big for an S class ship. We were on a Costa ship 2900 passengers.

I stopped at La Romana and Casa de Campo there years ago, it was a dock port, and we went to the town of La Romana from there. There were a bunch of baseball fields you could see from the dock.

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.4164455,-68.9570603,892m/data=!3m1!1e3

Punta Cana is on around the corner to the east from there.

It's plenty big for an S class ship. We were on a Costa ship 2900 passengers.

Hi Orv,

Did you stop at Cap Cana or a different port near Punta Cana. Cap Cana doesn't have much of a dock.

hal_na-7696.jpg

Hi Orv,

Did you stop at Cap Cana or a different port near Punta Cana. Cap Cana doesn't have much of a dock.

hal_na-7696.jpg

Mike, we stopped at La Romana. See the link I attached with a picture of the dock. You can see a large cruise ship there.

Mike, we stopped at La Romana. See the link I attached with a picture of the dock. You can see a large cruise ship there.

I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to Punta Cana. La Romana does have a much bigger dock area from the photo. I wonder why they didn't go there instead of Cap Cana.

Thank you for all your replies regarding Punta Cana, not much information was available for this Port online other than having a beach day at a resort.

Unfortunately for us we have been rescheduled to have two out of the three Ports exclusively as beach, water sport days which we have no interest in being from South Florida. Guess we might see more people remaining onboard during these two tendered Ports. Sending positive thoughts for all the damaged islands in their recovery efforts.