Cruise line differences, mainly RCL vs Carnival?

scott2165

I've only cruised one cruise and that was on the Enchantment last July. We really enjoyed it. Part of it was it was the first time my wife and I had been on vacation without a child in a LONG time and part was the "new" of it all.

We were impressed with the cleanliness and excellent service. We didn't love the itinerary, but still enjoyed seeing the sights. We had an outside view room and liked it. We'd love a balcony if the price was right, but are very content with just an outside view.

We are looking at cruises this 4th of July and plan to take our 12 year old daughter.

The Enchantment is moving to Galvestan and has an itinerary we would enjoy. However, we didn't see enough to keep out daughter occupied on the cruise we went on, although we only briefly looked at the kids area. Any experience there with that age kid?

We've looked at other big RCL ships but they exceed our budget this summer.

I found a Carnival cruise from New Orleans on the Dream. The pictures and videos look like it has tons of amenities to keep us all occupied. We can do a 7 day if I book this week for $2400.

Anyone have experience with Carnival, particularity the Dream?

I'd like to hear a thought from someone who loves RCL like we do, but has experience on the Dream. Good or bad, just looking for different opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Carnival is often cheaper and has better itineraries. Royal has far superior ships available if you want to go big - Freedom/Quantum/Oasis.

As for the service, food, and general atmosphere on the ship? You probably won't tell a difference between Carnival and Royal. I'd say book the Dream, you'll have a great time and probably like it better than Enchantment.

We've cruised and like both. Carnival ships tend to have a more Las Vegasy type décor, while Royal ships look more elegant.

Overall, we've found the service to be about the same on both ships. Food and entertainment was better on our last Carnival cruise than our last Royal cruise. Depending on the ship, rooms can be slightly larger on Carnival as well.

When we were cruising when our children were younger they preferred the Carnival children's program over Royals.

I don't think you can go wrong on either line.

I have never been on the Dream, but i have several Carnival cruises under my belt along with many on RCI and X. When friends ask, I always tell them to make sure to research each line. I also tell them to know what they are looking for out of their cruises.

Carnival is known as the “Fun Ships”. To me there was a ton of drinking and partying, not that I am opposed to this, but there was way more on Carnival than I ever found on RCI or X. I know that a lot of people will say that is only the short trips, but I found this to be true on a seven day as well.

I have found RCI to have a more mature crowd overall. Just my opinion and Not trying to belittle anyone. Heck I loved each of of my carnival cruises because of that atmosphere!!

I also love RCI and they have many activities for your kids, but Carnival probably has more. I think that you will find that any holiday cruise will increase the amount of kids and families on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Imo $2400 is far too high a price for a 7 night cruise . For 2 people it comes to $171.43 per person per day .

Recommend that you shop the cruise . You can look at the specials that cruise critic has on line ,as a start .

Believe that if you do your research homework you can save lots of money :D

When you compare a Royal Caribbean cruise to a Carnival cruise be aware that Carnival packs their ships with passengers . Royals space ratios are generally better .We also found the food quality & presentation better on Royal ships :D

Imo $2400 is far too high a price for a 7 night cruise . For 2 people it comes to $171.43 per person per day .

Recommend that you shop the cruise . You can look at the specials that cruise critic has on line ,as a start .

Believe that if you do your research homework you can save lots of money :D

I've shopped pretty hard and maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't find a decent sized RCCL ship for close to that price for 7 nights. Liberty looks nice, but the price I got was 3500.

I've shopped pretty hard and maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can't find a decent sized RCCL ship for close to that price for 7 nights. Liberty looks nice, but the price I got was 3500.

Recommend that you then ask Google this question

" Cruise price savings " & see what you get .you may need to search more ;but by asking Google different questions should lead you to a better price answer .

I can honestly tell you that we never would pay that price . After 80 cruises we know how to get the right prices . Keep trying you will get rewarded:)

It depends on time of year. What dates are you looking at? Do you have to sail in July or high season?

You need to have flexibility for cost savings. Either move dates around or wait for a bargain inside final payment.

I totally understand about the sail date effecting my prices. I've shopped pretty hard for the week we want, which is the week of 4th of July.

I know I can book cheaper in other seasons, but with our busy schedules, vacation dates, etc, that is the week we want.

I totally understand about the sail date effecting my prices. I've shopped pretty hard for the week we want, which is the week of 4th of July.

You can take your chances and wait till inside final payment to see if there are any sizable price drops - this year that sailing on Liberty the prices bottomed out at about $800pp (inside) in mid-May.

We have sailed both enchantment and carnival dream. We like dream much better than enchantment.

We like royal better over all, because we normally sail oasis class or liberty class. Which to us is much better than anything carnival has to offer.

I dont think $2400 is to much for a seven day cruise in the summer. If you are also taking your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Liberty was one ship we were interested in. Anyone know how the kids programs are?

My kids loved Liberty and we've been on Liberty twice. Your 12 yo will be in the teen program which has random scheduled activities during the day. There will be few more activities at night but most of the teens hang out in their newly formed packs...which is true of all RC ships. That being said, my teens loved the flowrider, rock climbing, slides and meeting new friends. My younger kids did AO and had fun there too.

The only couple of things that I think Carnival does better is Guy's Burgers (are delicious, doesn't even come close to the burgers on Royal in the buffet). The warm chocolate melting cake every night on the dessert menu is also much better. And the free room service since Royal now charges.

Other than those 3 things, we feel Royal blows Carnival away. Our last 2 Carnival cruises left a bad taste in our mouth, we are only planning on Royal for the next vacation, maybe give NCL a try, but we do not plan on returning to Carnival.

I have been on both ships and cruised many a time. I would pick the Carnival Dream in a heartbeat over the Enchantment of the seas. The Dream is eight years old versus 20 years for the Enchantment. The Dream is a large ship with a good youth program and the decor is very toned down, not the Las Vegas look of their older ships. It is very Nice and feels like a resort.

Cruising out of New Orleans is a very nice experience and the port is a lot easier to get to than Galveston. Carnival ships come alive after 6pm with the shows, comedy clubs, dance venues and the popular piano bar. Royal Caribbean ship usually are quite after the shows.

The main dinning room food is better on Carnival and is always hot. You do not get the warm food like you do on Royal. The only draw back to Carnival is those dancing waiters every night which I hate but your daughter would love them.

Best of luck in your decision.

I always love these threads and the predictable answers (like, everyone on Carnival is drinking and partying). IMO the lines are more similar than different, and it's really ship vs ship here. I haven't been on the Dream but loved the Breeze and would pick Dream over an older RC ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the 2 cruises we have recently booked for our family of 3 Royal Caribbean has been cheaper than Carnival. Both cruises were more or less "last minute" in that we decided and booked the cruise about 100 days before sailing (which I recognize is not actually last minute). Both times when we booked (and we started researching the cruises within a week of booking the cruises) they had the 50% of second passenger and kids sail free. Last October 2016 we did a 8 night western caribbean sailing on Allure out of Fort Lauderdale for approx $2700CAD (ocean balcony) and our current trip is this coming Feb, 7 night Eastern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale on Harmony for just under $2400CAD boardwalk balcony (was a guarantee). We just booked our current sailing approx 2 weeks ago and it has since climbed steadily to approx $6100CAD for the same room on the same sailing.

My point being...timing of booking your trip MIGHT be crucial. I have no idea how other factors like departure port, months of sail etc work. But for some reason for us Royal Caribbean cruises are less than Carnival (not by that much, but enough to sell us on Royal Caribbean!).

We did Carnival Dream for our honeymoon and it was a great ship, but I would book one of Royals Oasis ships before choosing Dream if price is right. I haven't been on a 'smaller' Royal ship but I would think Dream is comparable so I wouldn't avoid Carnival to be on a smaller Royal ship. We did NOT note a difference in service, food or function between Dream and Allure. I don't doubt there is a difference if you are booking the suites etc but we travel pretty frugal and low key and didn't note a difference. There was a notable difference in the ships themselves and what Allure offered far surpassed Dream. I do not drink at all and did not notice any major party/drinking going on on Dream that stood out as concerning for our cruise.

Since the OP specifically wants July 4th, I suggest she books soon. These sailings usually sell out. By booking the Early Saver fare, if the price goes down, she will get back the difference before final booking. If it goes down after final booking, she will get an OBC. I would definitely book the Carnival ship over the older RCCL. The room size will be bigger & there is more for the kids to do. The price the OP quoted is not a bad price for the 4th of July for 3 people. And if it goes down, she will get that. Win-win in my book.

Have never paid more than $2400 (sometimes less) for 7 nights in a Balcony out of any port on Royal Caribbean (well, I take that back...sailing on a 7 nighter to Alaska in 2018 for $3600...... we sailed on Liberty last year from Galveston in a Balcony for $2200.

I always book a year or more in advance... and always book directly with Royal... no TA for me...