Removing a person from reservation? Help!

So my husband has a job interview next month (yay!), if he gets the job there is a good possibility he will be in training for our February 20th cruise. Right now our stateroom has myself, son and husband booked in it. If my husband can't go, can he be removed from the reservation and would I get his fare back, assuming I still go with my son? When would be the latest we could remove him? We expect to know about the new job by mid Decemebr. Final payment is due on November 22, we did nonrefundable deposit because we thought what could possibly come up to make us cancel!?! Oh, and I checked our insurance and understandably this isn't a covered reason to cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1st of all,,, can you just remove him and get all of his fare back? No

Did you get insurance? Did you get insurance that would allow him to cancel for a job related reason? Did you get insurance that would allow him to "Cancel For Any Reason"?

When would be the latest to cancel him without any repercussions? November 21st.

Note that if you are able to cancel him AND you get any money back,,,, the amount you get back would be for whatever you were charged at the 3rd person in the cabin rate..

IF you all decide to cruise anyway AND he just doesn't show up,,, you will get his port taxes and fees back. Plus any other stuff that was pre-paid. i.e. gratuities, excursions, beverage packages

At the bare minimum you would get a refund of his taxes and fees. Since the 3rd passenger sails at a cheaper rate, I'm not sure how they would handle that. My best guess would be any partial refunds given will be based on the lower priced 3rd passenger.

The only time we removed a 3rd passenger from a reservation they made us move rooms and reprice the entire reservation at current rates, but that was also about 4 months before final payment so they could easily resell the room with a higher pax capacity. If they still require cancelling the original reservation and making a new one, your best bet might be to just keep him on and get a refund of the taxes and fees when he is a no show. That would likely be cheaper than cancelling, paying the penalty, and then rebooking at current rates.

As for insurance, the coverage clause would likely be "Cancel for Work Reasons", although I'm not sure about the fine print on that clause. We always get insurance with cancel for work reasons, because I know it covers having leave rescinded by your job which we've almost had happen in the past. Not sure about getting a new job, however.

One other thing to keep in mind, you can also change the name of a passenger on the reservation up to 24 hours before sailing without any penalty. If your husband ends up not being able to go you could invite a friend, or sibling, or grandparent, etc. and change your husband's name to theirs on the reservation, and see if they would be willing to reimburse you for their portion of the cruise price.

First off,

Call today and switch him to the third person prior to final payment.

Ask about cancellation penalties for third person as you used to be able to cancel and receive a full refund up to 14 days prior to sailing. No one has posted yet since the NRD deposits have been introduced on how that affects third person so it is worth asking.

If they have changed this then by mid December you may be in the 50% penalty phase in which case you would receive a 50% FCC but there would also be a $100 processing fee.

One other thing to keep in mind, you can also change the name of a passenger on the reservation up to 24 hours before sailing without any penalty. If your husband ends up not being able to go you could invite a friend, or sibling, or grandparent, etc. and change your husband's name to theirs on the reservation, and see if they would be willing to reimburse you for their portion of the cruise price.

Excellent back up plan. Perhaps your son could bring a friend. Even if they don't pay anything it would be better than just losing the money.

A month out...no refunds. You will get taxes and port fees back...that's it. Just have him be a "no-show"...and you and your son will have a fine time.

Wrong again. Depending on when in September you still may be in the deposit phase.

Assuming they have changed the terms on the third guest here are the cancellation penalties

5 Nights or longer

(Includes Holiday Sailings & Cruisetours)

90+ No charges

89-57 Days Deposit amount

56-29 Days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

28-15 Days 75% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

14 Days or less No refund except for taxes and fees