Are ripped jeans allowed in the main diningroom

judydoc

Saying something doesn't make it right. using that logic...a nudist has the same "rights".

The question was specific to the main dining room attire, and while no one can "force" common sense compliance (although we did see someone "ejected" from the MDR once for coming in jean shorts whereby a loud roar of applause was heard)...they say a pig with lipstick on is still...well...you know...

Really. A nudist? Those are apples and oranges, dude.

I find it sad how much some people desire that others around them will be just like them so they can feel comfortable.

Apparently enough of your fellow cruisers want to dress more casually that RCI has stopped enforcing dress codes (assuming that story is in fact true).

It is rather antiquated to be so unwilling to accept some diversity around you and realize the times are changing.

The dress code loyalists need to realize they sound out of date and rather crazy at times with some of the comments being made.

I don't suggest people dress like absolute slobs. But a pair of nice shorts, a nice pair of distressed jeans, these garments are perfectly fine for dinner. I mean seriously, is the Queen coming to dinner or something???? Get over yourself it's just a mainstream cruise. It's not a Michelin starred restaurant.

You must realize how incredibly judgey you sound. Like the only thing that's "RIGHT" is what you think.

Really. A nudist? Those are apples and oranges, dude.

Really...guess that depends where the line is drawn as "acceptable"....using the "go with the flow" mindset...

Wondering how long it would take for the "diversity" argument to rear its ugly head.

No one is proposing anything beyond what has been the cruising standards for decades. But of late...some folks embrace "anything goes".

Common sense has become an oxymoron.

Saying something doesn't make it right. using that logic...a nudist has the same "rights".

The question was specific to the main dining room attire, and while no one can "force" common sense compliance (although we did see someone "ejected" from the MDR once for coming in jean shorts whereby a loud roar of applause was heard)...they say a pig with lipstick on is still...well...you know...

Being nude in public is considered indecent and can get you arrested. Wearing torn jeans can't :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mix in some entitlement mentality found in the DNA of many millennials, and you have the formula for a deteriorating society.

Interesting perception. I see far more entitlement coming from the aging baby boomers whom I observe all the time treating those in customer service like garbage, expecting special treatment because they are elderly, should not have to wait their turn because they are older, use terms like "young man" to try to put younger people in their place, feel they are owed discounts for no other reason than because they are over a certain age etc.

My husband is a manager for a large grocery store chain and he gets cussed at, lectured and yelled at far more frequently by seniors than by any other demographic.

Interesting perception. I see far more entitlement coming from the aging baby boomers whom I observe all the time treating those in customer service like garbage, expecting special treatment because they are elderly, should not have to wait their turn because they are older, use terms like "young man" to try to put younger people in their place, feel they are owed discounts for no other reason than because they are over a certain age etc.

WOW....just WOW.

Really...guess that depends where the line is drawn as "acceptable"....using the "go with the flow" mindset...

Wondering how long it would take for the "diversity" argument to rear its ugly head.

No one is proposing anything beyond what has been the cruising standards for decades. But of late...some folks embrace "anything goes".

Common sense has become an oxymoron.

Sorry you find the word diversity so ugly. Wow.

You are in fact proposing that cruise line dress code standards should never change so that you may remain happy forever. The world does not work that way.

Funny that to you, it's just so CRAZY that some people out there wanna "go with the flow"! On their vacation! The nerve.

You are in fact proposing that cruise line dress code standards should never change so that you may remain happy forever. The world does not work that way.

Funny that to you, it's just so CRAZY that some people out there wanna "go with the flow"! On their vacation! The nerve.

Agreed.

I'll agree also.

..........and the growing societal decay continues.....

Very true, I hear the next big fashion trend out of Paris for 2018 is clear plastic ripped jeans.:eek:

Yes, yes those rips will be difficult to spot but rest assured we have very diligent fashion police on CC who will be manning the MDR entrances. A full body pat down should reveal any rips!

Very true, I hear the next big fashion trend out of Paris for 2018 is clear plastic ripped jeans.:eek:

Yes, yes those rips will be difficult to spot but rest assured we have very diligent fashion police on CC who will be manning the MDR entrances. A full body pat down should reveal any rips!

Wait you just reminded me, i recently saw online that Moschino had a model on the runway wearing a clear plastic dry cleaning bag as a dress! I think it was around $700. The slip underneath wasn’t even included.

Cruusing with the younger folk next month. Are the trendy ripped jeans allowed in the main dining room? I know they aren't in specialty

OP, I'm sure you have already come to a conclusion, but for what it's worth I believe the jeans will be fine.

To offer from my experience. We were recently on the Oasis, and on one night the Dress Code was "Smart Casual". I called down and asked if a jacket was required. I was told yes. No jeans, button down shirt, and Jacket. So that is how I dressed. When we reached the dining room, the vast majority of men were in shorts and polo shirts. I asked for the head waiter, and inquired about the dress code. Again we are not talking a bout a few people, but a clear majority not dressed to code. The head waiter told me "The dress code is a suggestion. We won't refuse you service no matter how you are dressed. Please come in what ever makes you comfortable." There seems to be a serious inconsistency between the published dress codes and the enforcement on board. For those cruisers who feel like rules must be followed, I would ask which rules: The printed ones, or the ones that the people enforcing the rules verbally commit to? I don't understand why the cruise lines don't simply provide clear policies that they plan on enforcing, and help out their own employees. I'm sure some of you have had different experiences on different ships. This is simply what I was told most recently.

EDIT: As far as torn jeans; As long as I don't have to wear them, live and let live.

A naked man wrapped in clear plastic walks into a psychiatrist's office. The physiciatrist takes one look at him and remarks "Clearly, I can see you're nuts."

Hahahaha :D

So I am a fan of distressed jeans. I find only Express jeans fit me well so I'm paying about $90 for those 'torn, goodwill jeans' lol. My husband doesn't get it either but hey, I like trendy fashions and can afford it so why not? I don't know that I would wear them on a cruise dinner but only because I like dressing up on vacay. But to people saying 'but, but there is a tablecloth! And it's white!' listen, where I live and I'm sure where many live every single restaurant that isn't a chain has a tablecloth and cloth napkins. And they want you to look trendy and cool while dining there so other people want to spend their $$ there to look cool and trendy lol. I mean, my local Chinese food place has tablecloths and napkins - I'm totally flummoxed as to why people equate that with fancy. I guess if you live in an area that has mostly fast food or Appleby's type of places anything with a tablecloth seems formal? Not being snarky, really curious.

I do ignore those who don't follow the dress code. I couldn't care less what others wear. I also don't care if they're allowed in or not. But I'm not the one coming on Cruise Critic to get some tacit "permission" to wear something that clearly is not in keeping with the suggested dress code. Obviously the OP is worried enough to seek this permission. But if you have to "ask permission" from a group that is in no position to give that "permission," then easily avoid the confrontation and simply wear what the cruise line requests. Then there's no issue, is there? Why make it so difficult that you are going to clearly violate their requests and worry that they may kick you out or not. And if they do? What do you say? "Well gee, Mikew on Cruise Critic said it was ok?"

When did I say it was okay? :rolleyes: Oh yea, that's right.. I didn't! Nor did I take a side, I just said if it bothers you don't look at them.

Hahahaha :D

So I am a fan of distressed jeans. I find only Express jeans fit me well so I'm paying about $90 for those 'torn, goodwill jeans' lol. My husband doesn't get it either but hey, I like trendy fashions and can afford it so why not? I don't know that I would wear them on a cruise dinner but only because I like dressing up on vacay. But to people saying 'but, but there is a tablecloth! And it's white!' listen, where I live and I'm sure where many live every single restaurant that isn't a chain has a tablecloth and cloth napkins. And they want you to look trendy and cool while dining there so other people want to spend their $$ there to look cool and trendy lol. I mean, my local Chinese food place has tablecloths and napkins - I'm totally flummoxed as to why people equate that with fancy. I guess if you live in an area that has mostly fast food or Appleby's type of places anything with a tablecloth seems formal? Not being snarky, really curious.

Word sister!!!!

Not being snarky, really curious.

So I think there are a few things at play.

Main dining room use to be really formal. Tuxedo formal. So there are some lamenting change.

According to the written policy, they would not be allowed. The cruise line does not enforce those policies, but still there are people who will hold them up as a commandment.

Finally there is a HUGE misunderstanding of fine dining today. I agree with you that the dining room is not fine dining, but even if it were, so what. There are any number of fine dining restaurants that have modern dress codes. We had dinner last week at a steak and seafood place. 6 of us all in jeans. I had a t-shirt and sweater with jeans. The entrees were $50+ per person, and in true fine dining fashion everything was a la carte. Yes there were white linen tablecloths and napkins.

Times have changed. Some people are just having a hard time with it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Cruusing with the younger folk next month. Are the trendy ripped jeans allowed in the main dining room?

Well yes. However, be prepared to cop a lot of flack from people complaining that your choice not to wear full gowns and tuxedos has ruined their holiday for them.

Personally, and whose last seven cruises were all nude, wear whatever you feel comfortable in. You paid for your ticket cruise your way not theirs.

I don't know. However, I do know that there will be people that will somehow be forced to stare at the jeans with holes in it, and therefor will somehow ruin their cruise experience.

I personally do not care what one wears to dinner. It does not affect me.

No one is forcing them look at their jeans.

Look at the menu.

Look at your prime rib

Look at your table mates...

No one is forcing people to stare....

Staring is rude afterall...

For the life of me I can't understand why people care so much about what others wear.

Ps.. I wore shorts to dinner in the MDR on HOS in August... It was liberating.. The most comfortable I've ever been at dinner!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk