Christmas Cruises: No priests on board but website says otherwise

sarasotascott

OP, I understand your frustration. On a Christmas Carnival cruise years ago, we thought there would be a priest onboard. Nope. For that reason we've been cruising HAL as there is always a priest no matter what time of the year. In fact we once asked the priest if he would renew our wedding vows (our 25th) after the mass. Much to our surprise when he announced that he'd being doing this, most of the people there stayed to watch!

You have an opportunity cost for the lost cabin.

Additionally, you have actual marginal costs, like food.

And, you have the fixed costs of running the ship/hotel.

As passengers are the only ones giving cruise lines money, these costs are spread

amoung all other passengers.

By the same logic, seeing as we've never gambled, why should we support others' gambling? It goes back to return on investment. The cost of an inside cabin is balanced against potential loss of customers. I know for certain that we would probably not take a Christmas cruise again if there wasn't Catholic Mass onboard. So saving the cost of an inside cabin, Princess Cruises would lose at least one pair of customers for an upscale balcony. That's not even a good trade-off at that scale, and the impact may be in the 100's of passengers lost.

And that gambling? It is not up to me to question another person's beliefs in what is fun as long as it doesn't affect us.

By the same logic, seeing as we've never gambled, why should we support others' gambling? It goes back to return on investment. The cost of an inside cabin is balanced against potential loss of customers. I know for certain that we would probably not take a Christmas cruise again if there wasn't Catholic Mass onboard. So saving the cost of an inside cabin, Princess Cruises would lose at least one pair of customers for an upscale balcony. That's not even a good trade-off at that scale, and the impact may be in the 100's of passengers lost.

And that gambling? It is not up to me to question another person's beliefs in what is fun as long as it doesn't affect us.

Lost because they do or don't provide a priest/rabbi/minister/etc.? Works both ways and because of the complaints in the past they do not provide clergy.

They will provide space if one wants to have a service.

And if the ship sails full anyway why would they care.

I’m in the boat that says if they provide a Catholic priest where does it end.

The ones I do feel for are the crew.

Though I have often asked “why dock Christmas Day, when most things are closed” I guess I understand better now.

Princess should be consistent in their published information.

Reference https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Cruising-Through-the-Holidays.html

Quote:

A Merry Christmas at Sea

It's not hard to get into the Christmas spirit right from the start, as ships are trimmed from stem to stern in festive holiday decor, complete with wreaths, holly, mistletoe and, of course, Christmas trees, which often even decorate the ship's mast. It's not uncommon to see Yuletide carolers strolling the decks singing favorite holiday tunes, or waiters wearing Santa hats. Seasonal entertainment abounds, as guests may enjoy themed production shows, live music and films during the voyage. Guests can also attend Catholic mass and inter-denominational church service.

... . On Christmas day, Santa Claus makes a surprise appearance, bringing joy (and gifts) to each child on board.

Hanukkah Celebrations

For guests who celebrate Hanukkah, a special area of the ship is reserved for those participating in services, and ships display menorahs and fresh flower arrangements decorated in the Hanukkah colors of blue, silver and white. Kosher meals are available throughout the sailing when requested in advance, and dining rooms feature specialty items such as potato latkes, matzo ball soup, gefilte fish and matzo during the holiday. (end quote)

And newly changed from the Cruise Answer Place https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

(End Quote)

Princess should be consistent in their published information.

And newly changed from the Cruise Answer Place https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

(End Quote)

I don't know if this is exact wording but this has been the policy for years. When I looked last week, I did see this wording and quoted it on Page 1. I didn't know where the OP got the other wording until I found the Holidays page.

Princess has been consistent with not providing clergy for several years and has said that. The text is not newly changed - it was from a different area.

They used to several years ago but changed their wording after to reflect that.

We also miss having a priest on board. I've read, but can't confirm, that it stopped because some passengers complained that they were concerned they might be paying for some portion of it. I've never attended a Mass on Princess that wasn't full or overfull, not only with passengers but with crew. There are obviously enough of us that we could contribute to fare for a priest if Princess would allow the service to be held and there were a method of doing it. I know retired priests who would be delighted by the opportunity. We love spending holidays with Princess but do sometimes reschedule cruises because of the lack of a priest.

I think it may be the perception that the cruise line is favoring one religion over another. Very difficult question to answer.

We sailed to Arabia and India on Celebrity at Christmas last year and there was a priest and a rabbi, and my husband (who is a protestant minister) was the destination speaker. So we had a truly multi-faith experience. BUT, even if the cruise line doesn't schedule a service, passengers can organize themselves through the bulletin boards.

How about the Church of Bacon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_United_Church_of_Bacon

DON

Sigh... They allow "vegetarian bacon" as a real thing. I guess I would have to be part of a great schism in order to keep Bacon sacred. "There is no bacon but for that created from swine" is a given in my universe. It seems that there can be no peace in religion. "Tofu bacon", "turkey bacon", and any other type of "FAKE bacon" is blasphemy. I am saddened by Penn Jillette having straying from the true path of bacon. There can be only one...