Which HAL ship / area / time for "younger" folks?

Nemanoxer

The headline says it all. I feel OK with table mates who were born in the 1960s or earlier, but since I was only born in 1971 and tend to socialize with people born in the 1980s. So, I would prefer to go on a ship with a good percentage of people born after 1960.

I never did HAL before - for the reason that I keep hearing that hardly anybody on HAL is younger than 60.

So, here is my request for advice about if all that "elderly HAL crowd" ado is true and / or if there is any HAL ship / HAL route / time of year that makes it possible for me to try HAL and still find lively areas / lively events / some kind of evening party etc.

Any recommendations / advice?

The headline says it all. I feel OK with table mates who were born in the 1960s or earlier, but since I was only born in 1971 and tend to socialize with people born in the 1980s. So, I would prefer to go on a ship with a good percentage of people born after 1960.

I never did HAL before - for the reason that I keep hearing that hardly anybody on HAL is younger than 60.

So, here is my request for advice about if all that "elderly HAL crowd" ado is true and / or if there is any HAL ship / HAL route / time of year that makes it possible for me to try HAL and still find lively areas / lively events / some kind of evening party etc.

Caribbean, Spring Break

Usually on HAL Caribbean or Alaska trips when it's the holidays and school is out. One would see an increased mix of age demographics. Also, shorter trips tend to have livelier crowds who want to maximize what short vacation time they have. Basically, 7-day trips instead of 20+day voyages. However, if you have the time, the longer trips have excellent itineraries that may offset any limited activities on board. You will get some flak from this board for what seems a bit of prejudice against older folk. In the view of someone born around your time, the vast majority of elderly I've come across in HAL are genuinely nice and pretty vibrant. However, if you want a lot of activities and late night diversions on the ship, HAL may not be the best choice for your needs.

I have had a magnificent trip with older folks in 2012, one of my best experiences in cruising.

So, any people 60 and over - I highly respect you and appreciate you more than you might expect. This thread is not meant to offend folks who have worked their behinds off to give my generation a better life :)

Book this cruise......you will find plenty of young people here:

7-DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN - leaves FLL March 17th

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=C8W07W&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=I826&selectedMeta=Interior&shipId=NA

I would suggest you try Celebrity. It's a great line and similar to HAL in terms of price and quality. However, it caters a wee bit more to younger couples and seems to be a tad more lively in the evenings. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my HAL cruise to Alaska. I loved it, and I loved talking to the older guests on board.

We've been on an Alaskan cruise with lots of younger families and we're going on a Caribbean Christmas cruise so we can bring our kids and grandkids. We expect there will be a great mix of all ages on that cruise.

There's more than ages to consider, though. Are you looking for lots of physical outdoors activities (hiking, snorkeling, fishing); social action (romance, dancing, late nightlife); intellectual stimulation (chamber music, lectures, great conversation); or just a good rest and relaxation? I'm almost 80 and can handle most of it (thank goodness my wife of 56 years and I are still OK...I'd be scared to death to have to think of pursuing a shipboard romance).. As an active hiker, I found I was more fit on the trail in Alaska than people decades younger. I expect it'll be the same on the Caribbean beaches.

On the other hand, it's kind of nice to be on a cruise with contemporaries...people who don't stare at you blankly when you talk about the days before high definition streaming, Android phones, online viruses, etc. People who don't have to have an electronic screen in t heir hands 24/7, but can find joy in just curling up with a good book or having an intelligent dinner conversation.

A 7-day Caribbean or 7-day European itinerary on the Konigsdam, or a 7-day Caribbean or a 4-day Bahamas on the Nieuw Statendam should work for you. (By the way, my daughters, who are in their late teens and mid-twenties, and have cruised on HAL, would consider YOU a little elderly;p. Me, they consider already half-dead:D).

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

I agree with others who suggest spring break and the Caribbean and 7 day itineraries. The larger ships and Koningsdam have the B B King lounge which is the liveliest part of the ship in the evening. Also agree with stickey_mouse that Celebrity has a younger vibe and younger age skew. The energy on Celebrity provided by the music played in the different venues is a turnoff to some HAL cruisers. Not a criticism, but my observation and the subject of another recent thread. Silence is not my idea of a fun cruise experience.

I am in my early 30's and I will be on my first HAL cruise next week for 22 days!

I can honestly care less of the age demo on board. I'm going because of the great itinerary and it is what fit my vacation travels best for this year,

If you go with that kind of mentality then yes, you will not enjoy yourself. Just be open minded and enjoy your cruise.

We are lucky to be able to have the luxury of travel :)

HAL’s summer Alaska itineraries and spring (March and April) itineraries will have a fairly wide age mix — but generally will not be as “lively” as other lines. Unless you have a particular reason to want to sail HAL, your question seemed to indicate a better fit would be found on Princess, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean - or Carnival for more of a party atmosphere - or NCL if you want a “no rules” atmosphere.

I guess it's another age stereotype contradiction...but my wife and I couldn't get enough of the BB King group...went at least once every night. Plenty of time in the afternoon for ears to recover from the decibels.

Ditto. They played great music and the drinks from the bar were delicious. Some in my group thought they were too loud and left early but I had no problem with the volume and stayed late.

It boils down to something I've said for years. There are older people and there are old people. I don't quite make the OP's age cut off of 1960 as I'm in my early 60s but I know for sure I don't want to be around old people.

Edited by Reagan0712
additions

I too would recommend the Caribbean and Alaska. However, I have to take some exception to the theory that only old people are on HAL. I have introduced my nephews to HAL in March, and they are in their 30s. They found the atmosphere and amenities to be better than on some of the "younger"ships. I think that you will find the majority of the older crowd on the longer cruises, as they have the time to spend. Enjoy your cruise on whichever cruise line you choose.

Noticing a lot of posters here are recommending the Caribbean cruises over spring break to find a younger crowd. Having done 4 of the 7 day spring break Caribbean cruises on HAL's larger ships, I'd have to respectfully disagree. Yes, there were some children and families onboard these cruises, but not as many as you'd think. Definitely not comparable to Princess or even Celebrity at that time of year.

Due to work schedules, we now have to travel over summers and school breaks, and I have found that our HAL cruises that skewed the youngest were our Bermuda and Canada/New England cruises. Have not done a 7 day Alaska in summer or 7 day Caribbean over the holidays, but I imagine those would be quite similar. 7 day cruises will probably be your best bet overall.

Have talked to a friend now, he said if Celebrity is kind of "too hip" for me and HAL carries mostly elderly people, then Princess Cruises might be the perfect compromise. Less overhyped than Celebrity but more lively than HAL.

That's the first time I've ever heard Celebrity called "too hip". They're about as hip as an airport Westin.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the 10-nt Caribbean leaving March 18th? Think it would have a younger age demographic as well? Even though it's 10 days not 7.....?

Book this cruise......you will find plenty of young people here:

7-DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN - leaves FLL March 17th

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=C8W07W&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=I826&selectedMeta=Interior&shipId=NA

i think most families would stick with a 7 day cruise, and I think a lot of spring breaks (kids off school) are the week before or after Easter. Look at airfare and you can tell when schools are out - high airfare on school holiday weeks!

We did a back-to-back 14 plus 7 out of Tampa a few years ago. There was a significant difference in the age demographics. Not just teens, but there were folks in their 40s who were working and could get off for only 7 days at a time. (I once had a job that allowed 3 weeks off, but I was not allowed to take more than one week at a time.)

Jim

I would not trust that Princess will be much different than HAL with regard to age groups. We have been on Princess cruises that had lots of older folks. That's why we like Princess and HAL, we prefer wheelchair races and walker road rage over herds of kids running around in small energized gangs.

we prefer wheelchair races and walker road rage over herds of kids running around in small energized gangs.

Don't forget the ever present hazard of potentially being run over by someone wailing down the hallway on a mobility scooter! ;p