Email today from Cruise Critic?

jimmieg

Rephrased - let's try this again.

Did anyone else get that email and scratch your head as a particular agency's Cyber Monday sale was promoted?

Question is posted for honest discussion.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

That's the commercial side of CC....the boards operate under different rules, as you have learned.

This thread may go bye bye, but if you actually mentioned the name of a TA in your first one, it was doomed.

Not trying to get around Forum regulations. I did quote the Cruise Critic email, though my intent was not to recommend an agency. And I didn't mind the email - might have been given information I didn't know. No agency wins every time.

However, my question relates to CC using my email address for commercial purposes, as I suspect the email was probably paid advertising. Or perhaps they sold my email to an agency, who provided a press release.

Blurred lines, I guess.

Just made me go "hmmm.". No different than if a cruiseline introduced a new policy.

I appreciate the peer-to-peer value of the forum. It is often helpful, sometimes humorous, and offers all kinds of perspectives.

Please forgive their transgressions...if any :). It cost a pile of money to operate a website...such as this...and continue to improve the software, service, etc. The revenue must, obviously, come from advertising which is just a wee bit of capitalism. Cruise Critic has made so many improvements over the years, that we should all give them some leeway to help pay the bills.

Hank

Please forgive their transgressions...if any :). It cost a pile of money to operate a website...such as this...and continue to improve the software, service, etc. The revenue must, obviously, come from advertising which is just a wee bit of capitalism. Cruise Critic has made so many improvements over the years, that we should all give them some leeway to help pay the bills.

Hank

Well said, Hank. This agency has been associated with Cruise Critic as long as I can remember. No problem here.

However, my question relates to CC using my email address for commercial purposes, as I suspect the email was probably paid advertising. Or perhaps they sold my email to an agency, who provided a press release.

Blurred lines, I guess.

There is no regulation or law preventing them from emailing you with commercial offers. You are in a relationship with them through use of the boards here. If you ask them to stop they will, and they provide the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the emails for compliance with all the anti-spam (or "UCE") laws in the countries they are in.

There's an old saying about the Internet: If you are not paying for the product then YOU are the product.

I get enough value out of CC to get the occasional email and see the ads on the site.

There is no regulation or law preventing them from emailing you with commercial offers. You are in a relationship with them through use of the boards here. If you ask them to stop they will, and they provide the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the emails for compliance with all the anti-spam (or "UCE") laws in the countries they are in.

There's an old saying about the Internet: If you are not paying for the product then YOU are the product.

I get enough value out of CC to get the occasional email and see the ads on the site.

Didn't mind the email. In fact, served as a reminder to see if any cruises I'm watching were "in sale." And know to stop if I don't want.

Just thought the company recommending a particular agency and at same time enforcing a rigorous ban on the customer in the forum even discussing the pros and cons of various agencies was remarkable.

Just thought the company recommending a particular agency and at same time enforcing a rigorous ban on the customer in the forum even discussing the pros and cons of various agencies was remarkable.

Those two things are very much related.

You can find the advertising information (if you qualify) to send email advertising here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/about-us/advertising/#email

It's not a secret. There are no "Internet fairies" that make Facebook, Google and Cruise Critic free.

Edited to remove information about advertising rates; they don't publish them on that page.