All Veteran World Cruisers - Questions

PCruzer

You mentioned being away from your house for the cruise. We have taken two half world cruises and similar long cruises and our house is empty for two months. My concern is that at random times a newspaper will be dropped on our driveway for advertising purposes. If it sits there a few days it is a notice that no one is at home. My next door neighbor often spends a few months in Hawaii, so we watch each other's driveway and pick up those papers if they happen to be dropped there.

Another idea is to open a separate bank account just to use while you're on the cruise with limited funds in it. Your bank should be able to set up an automatic transfer from your primary account to this cruise account for while you are gone. And then close the cruise account when you get home.

Another idea is to open a separate bank account just to use while you're on the cruise with limited funds in it. Your bank should be able to set up an automatic transfer from your primary account to this cruise account for while you are gone. And then close the cruise account when you get home.

I’ve done this for a much shorter trip to South America. And I have a separate ATM card that accesses that account only.

You might consider signing up for international cell phone coverage with your carrier before you leave. Most carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc) sell a plan that kicks in for $10 per day, but only on the days that you use it. This will get you access to the internet on all port days, and most countries are covered. We use it on ONE cellphone (charges are per device using it), which lets us check our banking, bills, email, etc without paying for internet on ship. You can also tether your phone to your pc if you wish to use the PC to compose email, etc.

You might consider signing up for international cell phone coverage with your carrier before you leave. Most carriers (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc) sell a plan that kicks in for $10 per day, but only on the days that you use it. This will get you access to the internet on all port days, and most countries are covered. We use it on ONE cellphone (charges are per device using it), which lets us check our banking, bills, email, etc without paying for internet on ship. You can also tether your phone to your pc if you wish to use the PC to compose email, etc.

I use the ATT $10 plan and am satisfied with the value. A few cautions about this. If you use more than 1/2 your data while roaming for two months in a row they may cut you off....(read the fine print on the restrictions)

Be careful when using a laptop, or even tablet, to tether off data from a phone. The data used by a laptop can be way -way more than accessing the same site using a phone. Remember all the. videos that start playing when many sites pop up? Full size websites have more data, pictures etc.

There are ways to minimize this, but play around with it at home and measure the impact before you leave and have to pay real money for a misjudgment.

We use one phone to tether to our second phone...

Consider getting immunization for specific areas of the world you will visit plus malaria pills and hepatitis shots and possibly rabies. Also get diarrhea pills or medication. My doctor told me she had a patient that was bitten by a monkey while in India and contacted rabies. Enough said about that.

I turn all electricity off except for refrigerator. Also water. Neighbor picks up mail for me as l have experienced USPS losing mail that was held at the post office.

Take birthday/anniversary/valentine/Easter cards for spouse with you.

The ship charges, l think, 8% both ways to exchange money. Most places accept US dollars. Ask.

I carried a small backpack on tours. Usually took snacks or sandwich from the ship with me in Tupperware containers. Also drinks.

You do not need an umbrella, the ship furnish them.

Pack all the clothes you think you will need and then leave half at home. You will survive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"For the 2019 itinerary, the ship will be able to get all your visas during the cruise except for India. India issues 10 year visas, so you can get one anytime, but waiting till next year will give you more time on your visa. HAL will send you a letter next Sept 2018 that lists all the visa requirements for your cruise. My advice is for USA residents only. Visa rules do change from time to time, so always check the HAL letter for the latest guidance. "

I'm sorry theinsidecabin but that isn't always true.My husband and I applied at the same time with the same information and he only got a one year visa while I got it for 10. The only difference in our application was his former military service.

It's totally up to them...you can't count on getting a 10 year visa.

"For the 2019 itinerary, the ship will be able to get all your visas during the cruise except for India. India issues 10 year visas, so you can get one anytime, but waiting till next year will give you more time on your visa. HAL will send you a letter next Sept 2018 that lists all the visa requirements for your cruise. My advice is for USA residents only. Visa rules do change from time to time, so always check the HAL letter for the latest guidance. "

I'm sorry theinsidecabin but that isn't always true.My husband and I applied at the same time with the same information and he only got a one year visa while I got it for 10. The only difference in our application was his former military service.

It's totally up to them...you can't count on getting a 10 year visa.

Good point. If you have prior military, Law enforcement, you may get the 1 year. I am prior military and got a 10 year, but as Cruise NH said. It is totally up to them.

Mine was processed in San Fran. Where did you get yours. Not that you can probably depend on that anyway.

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

One more tip that I read from someone else's list and proved to be very helpful.

About a year or so before we left I started putting away $1, $5, $10 bills that were in good condition.

Many of the countries you'll be going to will take USD as long as it's in good condition. I know that you can always go to the bank before you leave and break larger bills but somehow doing this a little here and there over a long stretch of time made it seem like I wasn't spending as much money. I had over $1000 by the time we left and the small bills came in very handy and it was painless.

It was a great tip...I wish I could credit the person who gave it to me!

to theinsidecabin...we got our visa in NYC but like you said I don't think it makes a difference...their country their call...

One more tip that I read from someone else's list and proved to be very helpful.

About a year or so before we left I started putting away $1, $5, $10 bills that were in good condition.

Many of the countries you'll be going to will take USD as long as it's in good condition. I know that you can always go to the bank before you leave and break larger bills but somehow doing this a little here and there over a long stretch of time made it seem like I wasn't spending as much money. I had over $1000 by the time we left and the small bills came in very handy and it was painless.

It was a great tip...I wish I could credit the person who gave it to me!

Great info. Thanks!

One thing I do whenever we’re gone for more than 30 days is to call our car insurance company (USAA). We drop our mileage to zero on our cars and we decline collision. Our cars are parked in our attached garage and they say that’s fine. It takes 5 minutes and saves us money.

One thing I do whenever we’re gone for more than 30 days is to call our car insurance company (USAA). We drop our mileage to zero on our cars and we decline collision. Our cars are parked in our attached garage and they say that’s fine. It takes 5 minutes and saves us money.
Oh, great idea! Thanks!

I carried a small backpack on tours. Usually took snacks or sandwich from the ship with me in Tupperware containers. Also drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You need to check to find which countries will allow this. Australia, for example, does not let you bring in any food.

Good news on Indian visas - I wonder if HAL will insist on hard copy visa for India if Evisa is now possible at seaports. We had some folks do Evisa in 2016 when they arrived at the airport vice seaport. Now seaports are good for Evisa...

https://www.evisaindia.org/faq

From the FAQ - Cochin is a port where they accept Evisa

When should I apply for the e-Visa India?

Applicants are required to apply for e-Visa India at least 4 days before the arrival date. According to the new Online Visa India regulation, if the selected arrival date is more than 90 days at the time of the application, the e-Visa India will be processed and issued between 90 to 80 days before the arrival date.

Is the e-Visa India valid for cruise ship entries in the country?

Yes, from April 2017 the e-Tourist visa (eTV) for India is valid for cruise ships docking at the following designated seaports: Cochin, Goa and Mangalore.

If you are taking a cruise which docks in another seaport, you must have a traditional visa stamped inside the passport

Many thanks to The Inside Cabin for your extremely helpful website and tips on this thread! My husband loves to make spreadsheets for things, so you are definitely speaking his language;)

Do you (or anyone else on this thread) know if the 4 star mariner discounts for wine packages and PG dinners also apply to Grand Voyages/World Cruises? I noticed on your blog that these things can be prepaid at discount for the WC, but the 4 star discount would be more substantial savings than the prepay discount. Thanks!

I’m going to have to give this some thought. Your idea is great, but I’m concerned about online security. What do you think? Is it safe to do banking on a ship?

I frequently do my banking aboard ship, but I use my own computer. If you were using the ship's computer, you would need to be sure that you had closed out properly. I don't see any difference in the security of online banking as far as locations is concerned - unless, of course, someone is hanging over your shoulders.

Wow! I never knew that was possible. We also use USAA. Great idea.

Many thanks to The Inside Cabin for your extremely helpful website and tips on this thread! My husband loves to make spreadsheets for things, so you are definitely speaking his language;)

Do you (or anyone else on this thread) know if the 4 star mariner discounts for wine packages and PG dinners also apply to Grand Voyages/World Cruises? I noticed on your blog that these things can be prepaid at discount for the WC, but the 4 star discount would be more substantial savings than the prepay discount. Thanks!

Why wouldn't they be? As far as I know, the discounts are good for all cruises. I've never seen any exception which applies to a certain ship or a certain cruise, or a certain number of days.

As long as your financial institution uses appropriate security for their website, my assessment of the risk using the ships Internet is low. I routinely use my laptop to access my finances while cruising. A few tips.

Use your own lap top, not the public computers. It is unlikely, but remotely possible someone could install a "key logger" or similar hacking tool to steal your passwords.

When you log on to the web site, make sure it's address is preceded by https....not just http. You need to see the "s". This ensures your data is secure.

There is always a chance someone on the ship could create a fake HAL website and trick passengers into using this website vice the real HAL website . While anything is possible, I consider this risk very low.

Everyone has to assess there own risk tolerance. I consider the risk of online banking from the ship using my own laptop to be low. Here is a US government website with more details.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0014-tips-using-public-wi-fi-networks

Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly

Off topic, sorry, but you posted this on your WC "What to take or not take" list: "Collapsible storage bins to use on the shelf under the sink In our cabin three 11” x 11” x 5 “fit perfectly." I have looked everywhere and can't find a folding box that is 11 x 11 x 5. Where did you get these boxes? I find 11 x 11 x 10 and 11 x 5 x 5.