Formal Nights on Hawaii 15 night Star Princess

Garich

Just did the 15 Day Hawaii on Star Sept 23 to Oct 8. Just looked through the Patters.

Formal Nights were:

Sept 25 - 3rd night

Oct 3 - first night at sea after leaving Hawaii

Oct 6 - second to last night at sea

Does anyone happen to know what specific nights are formal evenings? I know there are 3 formal nights. I try & avoid them by eating in the specialty restaurants.

If you are going over the holidays, the formal nights will change from the usual nights. However, the first formal night is traditionally the first sea day. They actual dates will be in your patter on the day you arrive.

Just did the 15 Day Hawaii on Star Sept 23 to Oct 8. Just looked through the Patters.

Formal Nights were:

Sept 25 - 3rd night

Oct 3 - first night at sea after leaving Hawaii

Oct 6 - second to last night at sea

Would you be able to download or email the patters?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the responses. The wife & I are looking forward to the March 4 cruise. WV Bill, by any chance, did you hit the specialty restaurants & if so any comments?

We did both Crown Grill and Sabatinis. Crown Grill was superb in every respect: Service, food quality, preparation and presentation. Sabatinis wasn't quite as good: We didn't feel as "welcomed" by the Host and food was just down a notch or two from Crown Grill - seemed more like MDR-level. We also did an Ultimate Balcony Dining on our balcony with a couple we met at our MDR table. It was, as has been every UBD we've done, over-the-top fantastic in every respect. When you compare the cost of dinner for two at $58 for a specialty restaurant v.s. $100 for UBD - if you've got nice weather, the UBD is the hands down winner.

Can't thank you enough for the info on the specialty dining. The UBD sounds like a fun dinner. Where does the food come from? Do you need more room than a standard balcony?

You will be assigned a head waiter/coordinator and an assistant. They will come in about 1/2 hour before the scheduled dinner time and set up the table on your balcony. We had UBD for four on a Mini-suite balcony which is smaller than Caribe deck balconies. It's like magic, the waiter appears when it's time to serve another course or, it seems when wine glasses need to be re-filled and then disappears. I'm not sure which kitchen prepares the food. You call the room service line to schedule and select the menu, appetizer, salad, main course (usually lobster or fillet or surf and turf) and desert. And the wine. A photographer comes and takes photos and you get one 8x10 free. Princess is class, but the UBD is "best of class".

You will be assigned a head waiter/coordinator and an assistant. They will come in about 1/2 hour before the scheduled dinner time and set up the table on your balcony. We had UBD for four on a Mini-suite balcony which is smaller than Caribe deck balconies. It's like magic, the waiter appears when it's time to serve another course or, it seems when wine glasses need to be re-filled and then disappears. I'm not sure which kitchen prepares the food. You call the room service line to schedule and select the menu, appetizer, salad, main course (usually lobster or fillet or surf and turf) and desert. And the wine. A photographer comes and takes photos and you get one 8x10 free. Princess is class, but the UBD is "best of class".

How much is the UBD? Is there room for 4 people to eat on a mini suite balcony?

You've sold me! I'll be celebrating a birthday during our cruise aboard the Star, and it sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing.:D

Does anyone happen to know what specific nights are formal evenings? I know there are 3 formal nights. I try & avoid them by eating in the specialty restaurants.

Although I advocate reasonably following the dress code(and we always do)If you do a decent job of smart casual: Nice slacks(preferably no jeans)decent collared shirt ex: a Ralph Lauren type dress shirt(short or long sleeve) you should be able to go to the MDR on formal nights. Some Maître D's are more strict than others, which is why I suggest kicking it up a notch on the smart casual. You can try standard casual, but you'll likely stick out & might get denied. Your choice. There are those(and they KNOW) who they are, say dress down as much as you like. That's not a really accurate statement.

Just got back from 15 days on the Star to Hawaii, RT-LA to LA

Included Thanksgiving and the formal schedule was as mentioned above

I too, advocate dressing appropriately for formal night, and it is not hard to do. You do not need a floor length gown and a tux. A nice (Sunday Best) dress and a jacket and slacks for men. Even saw some men wear a nice collarless shirt with a jacket. But I get so irritated because they still allow people with sneakers ans shorts in the MDR on formal evenings. I asked the Maitre D about this and he said it is everyones vacatipn and they do not want to stress them. I remember sailing 10 years ago, and they offered men jackets at the door if you did not have one.

Although I advocate reasonably following the dress code(and we always do)If you do a decent job of smart casual: Nice slacks(preferably no jeans)decent collared shirt ex: a Ralph Lauren type dress shirt(short or long sleeve) you should be able to go to the MDR on formal nights. Some Maître D's are more strict than others, which is why I suggest kicking it up a notch on the smart casual. You can try standard casual, but you'll likely stick out & might get denied. Your choice. There are those(and they KNOW) who they are, say dress down as much as you like. That's not a really accurate statement.

I 'almost' got turned away at the mdr on formal night for wearing a nice pair of black dress linen slacks, and a short-sleeve tommy Bahama cream colored shirt that prolly was better made than the suits people wore from Jacque Penne, or Mens's Warehouse.

On a cruise earlier this month I saw two men with jeans and a short sleeved collared shirt sitting at the table next to ours on formal night. On non-formal nights they wore shorts several nights and a tshirt. We were in early TD in the Botticelli dining room.

In the area of footwear, I wear athletic shoes due to foot problems. I wore sandals in past times but not any more. I love seeing all the women in shower shoes (aka flip flops) including formal night.

I am doing this cruise in early 2019. I have been to the islands several times by air and enjoyed them.

On a cruise earlier this month I saw two men with jeans and a short sleeved collared shirt sitting at the table next to ours on formal night. On non-formal nights they wore shorts several nights and a tshirt. We were in early TD in the Botticelli dining room.

In the area of footwear, I wear athletic shoes due to foot problems. I wore sandals in past times but not any more. I love seeing all the women in shower shoes (aka flip flops) including formal night.

I am doing this cruise in early 2019. I have been to the islands several times by air and enjoyed them.

I will say, some “formal shoes, strappy sandals” do seem very much like flip flops. For some reason it seems women have more versatility(?) allowed with their formal wear and shoes.

I’ve never seen jeans on a formal night though. [emoji15]or shorts for dinner for that matter. I have seen shorts for lunch, but that’s allowed.

I have also seen people turned away on the same night, in the same dining room where others wearing similar clothing were seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums