Emergency drill

becknal

Our thoughts?

70+ cruises. 1000+ days on cruise ships.

Have no problem going to the muster, every time. Different ships, different procedures, different locations. No way we get there late. Get there on the second page (15 minutes prior). Always have a seat, where we can listen to the later arriving whiners complaining about "what, no SEATS?"

It's like 25-30 minutes, total, even arriving early. Our time is not so precious that we can't spend it being acquainted with the system.

Ditto.:cool: The person I feel most confident concerning my safety is me. I may not have learned something new in the last 30 or so "drills" I've attended, but they are still worth my time. But then in nearly 30 years in Naval Aviation I've learned just how important safety briefings and drills are. I tend to keep myself as prepared as practical for emergencies......old habits die hard......and I don't want them to die! ;)

PS - I don't like the ones on commercial flights either, but I always watch the flight attendant, especially when they remind me to look for the closest exit which might be behind me. It amazes me on flights that I am usually the only one looking around at that point for the closest exit.

Doug

I like the HAL drills. Everybody assembles on deck once the appropriate siren sounds. You assemble by your allocated lifeboat, the number and location of which is displayed in your stateroom, and a roll call is taken. The person who will be in charge of your lifeboat then displays how to put on the life jacket etc. Just as it's important to watch the safety drill on an aircraft, so too on a ship. It's not fun and games; it can save lives.

We were on HAL in August and found we far prefer the X way of doing it...in a lounge inside (which is where you meet in the event of an emergency). We found going to the promenade deck on HAL was hot, crowded, and even though they demonstrate how to put on the life jacket, most can't see the person doing it because the the line is about 8 people deep. If you can't see over you are screwed. They also take role on X as you enter the room of the drill.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, yes the muster station is very important, but now I see how 2 more ships where lots of folks are sick, we should have "How to wash your hands/" and use the Anti-bacteria lotion every chance you get.

When I am in the airport quite regularly, I am amassed at how many Men do not wash their hands. (I would love to put a sticker on them.)

PS - I don't like the ones on commercial flights either, but I always watch the flight attendant, especially when they remind me to look for the closest exit which might be behind me. It amazes me on flights that I am usually the only one looking around at that point for the closest exit.

Doug

You obviously can't see me looking behind me for the nearest exit because I'm sitting in front of you and am looking at the back of your head!;p