Debark at POM, flight from FLL timing

amallison

We're looking at flights for our June 2018 cruise out of POM. We'll be flying SWA from FLL and we've never flown from FLL or cruised from POM so we're clueless as far as flight timing goes. We'll be on NCL Getaway and we're wondering what the earliest flight is that you much more experienced cruisers would take. There are several options but we're just not sure what time to start looking at.

We've always driven to port so we've never had to deal with airports and debarkation.

So, wise cruisers, what's the earliest flight you'd take from FLL when debarking at POM?

Depends on available flights. I'd prefer noon but would accept a 10:45 or later flight. PM isn't that far from FLL. An early flight would mean you need to self-assist and be off first thing in the morning. Last time we sailed out of PM, we were home by 7:30AM or so. We live 20 minutes further than FLL... but we always self-assist and leave around 6:30 - 6:45 to head off the ship.

Basically, we can pick from 10:55 & 2:50. I'm thinking the 2:50 one is probably the safer bet.

Of course it's safer. 3PM the following day would be even safer!

I'd take a 10:55 in a heartbeat, personally. With self-assist, there is a good chance you would be at the airport before 8AM. Considering Southwest has no-fee changes if you were going to miss the flight, it's worth the risk to me. Lots of cruisers take 10 - 11AM flights, all the time.

But that's me. I would never want to sit at the airport for 5+ hours waiting for a late afternoon flight. If you do end up going that route, I'd at least try and be last off the ship.

If you actually did self-assist and went down early, that would have to be one heck of a delay to miss an 11AM flight. And self-assist is easy as can be. Just walk down at the designated time frame (usually before 7AM) and walk off the ship. You avoid the crowds and lines, too.

Another option would be to book an excursion on debark day in Miami. They'll drop you off at the airport with your bags, etc.

Edited by BNBR

For a 10:55 flight you need to be at FLL by about 9:25 and closer to 9:00 is better. With the drive from POM to FLL taking 45-60 minutes (weekday? weekend? :confused), that translates into off the ship with bags and clear of customs/immigration NLT about 8:00.

As mentioned above, if you carried your bags off and had no issues, delays, you could make the 10:55 flight. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? Your call! :cool:

Typically, I wouldn't be concerned about a delay that would be enough to cause us to miss an 11 am flight. However, on one of our cruises there were engine issues on the night before debarkation that caused us to be delayed 4-5 hours getting into port. Thank goodness that we were driving or we would've been in trouble. There were lots of cruisers with missed flights and it was not a pleasant experience to be around.

But, there's very little risk since SW lets you change flights for no fee. In fact, the only risk would be if the afternoon flight is full so you're unable to switch flights if a major problem develops, and you can't make the 10:55. You should have no issues with traffic on a Saturday and be at FLL at least two hours before your 10:55 flight. In fact, you could even take your time disembarking and still make it with time to spare. It seems crazy to me to play the what if game. What if the ship's engine dies? What if we can't get off the ship on time? What if there is a major accident on the road? 10:55 gives you plenty of pad unless some low probability, major disaster occurs.

But, there's very little risk since SW lets you change flights for no fee. In fact, the only risk would be if the afternoon flight is full so you're unable to switch flights if a major problem develops, and you can't make the 10:55. You should have no issues with traffic on a Saturday and be at FLL at least two hours before your 10:55 flight. In fact, you could even take your time disembarking and still make it with time to spare. It seems crazy to me to play the what if game. What if the ship's engine dies? What if we can't get off the ship on time? What if there is a major accident on the road? 10:55 gives you plenty of pad unless some low probability, major disaster occurs.

I couldn't have said it better. All sorts of things "could" happen but rarely do. I think it was Biker who said he had to be at work from MIA, same day as debark, and was at work in FLL by 8AM or so. We do self-disembark and we are home before 8AM from PM and we live further than the FLL airport. Considering SWA is flexible with changes, I think there is very little risk. Anything can happen, but it's unlikely. 11AM is a very reasonable flight time.

If you are flying out of FLL on a weekend, the TSA lines can be longer. I just flew out a couple of Sundays ago, it took about an hour to go through security, long line. I had never seen a line like that before.

I live here and fly out of FLL all the time and I've never seen an hour long TSA line either. We are usually sitting at the gate within 10 minutes of getting dropped off. I think the long line was the exception and something out of the ordinary.