Thoughts on Food

Rdclfamily

I've thought about this as well. While our first RCCL cruise is still 100 days away, my family had very good food on the NCL Jewel and very bad food on the NCL POA in their main dining rooms. My daughter has celiac disease, so buffets scare me due to cross contamination issues (you can never know if a prior guest used the same spoon on two different food choices). My son and husband have very, lets say, Minimalist palates so pizza, burgers and pasta every day would be great for them. Me...I was salivating when I saw the menu for Chef's Table. I suspect we'll stay w/ the MDR on the JOTS this March. If it's truly horrible, we'll figure out a different option, but it's only food to us. I'd rather spend the money on a better room or more shore excursions/spa/arcade time on the ship.

I agree that the food is not as good as it was years ago. That said, I always find something that I enjoy in the MDR. The fun of cruising is not ALL about the food. If the food is so bad-why do most people gain weight on the cruise? Now days with so much social media out there- I think people like to whine and complain if everything is not 100% perfect on their cruise! Relax and enjoy your time in the MDR, they have real napkins, glasses and silverware-it's not a fast food place. We do like to treat ourselves if we are on during an anniversary trip-and do a specialty every now and then though-and will do the BOGO deals.

. If the food is so bad-why do most people gain weight on the cruise?

Just off the Indy. We actually did lose weight. The food was bad. I normally do desserts on cruises, but after freezer-burned ice cream on night one (MDR,) I didn't see the point.

We don't cruise for the food; so it didn't ruin our amazing time. But I won't pretend the food was good. It was not.

I have thought about getting just a small specialty dining package, however, I really do not want to commit to ANY reservations on my trip. I think I will also just try to stick to the free options this cruise. If we happen to bump into a specialty dining place at just the right time, maybe we will go in. I just happen to live in a foodie town and have gotten pretty accustomed to decent food. Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Yuck-so sorry about your experience. And I agree that most of their deserts are pretty tasteless. I wish I could lose weight on a cruise! I would have filled up on the breads and cheese instead. I do think most of the food is sort of bland and inconsistent cruise to cruise now across their fleet. But this happens at our land based food places at home . I can have a great meal and service one night and go back next month and it is awful. I probably would have paid the extra and gone to a few specialty places on Indy-if it was that bad -or eaten more in ports. Hope your next cruise is better? Will you stay with Rccl after this?

Hope your next cruise is better? Will you stay with Rccl after this?

Food is not a deal breaker for us, and we did find almost everything else about our time on Indy to be fantastic. If the deal is right, we'll sail RC again, but we'd go more prepared to fend for ourselves.

The lack of food options between 4-6 p.m. was abysmal. Our next cruise, I'd bring baggies and foil so I can stock up on bread, cheese, lunch meats, etc., from the Windjammer to keep in my fridge for a late afternoon snack. It's truly confusing there is nothing to eat between 4-6 except for the disgusting pizza and the very limited options at the cafe.

My husband was starving at 5 one evening, and he didn't like any of the three choices at the cafe and we already knew the pizza was gross.

I like the food in the MDR. Sometimes menu options don't appeal to us so we look for alternatives like trying one of the speciality restaurants.

The speciality restaurants often provide a better a service and an ambience I prefer. The food I am usually happy with but it is no different to visiting a land based restaurant. Sometimes you will be disappointed. Sometimes it might not be to your taste.

Generally speaking we enjoy eating at all venues and never go hungry.

On our Allure cruise, we only ate in MDR and with My Time. Our first night they had no room for us (if we wanted to avoid waiting) and so they took us upstairs to a table in traditional dining spot. We definitely weren't treated as well as we weren't their regular table. Our meals were ok and we like the 'sit down restaurant experience' without prices beside every item.

Night 2 was format night and we were seated in My Time section...not amazing, but good food, good service.

From nights 3-7 we ended up sitting at same table, same waiter. The waiter suggested it as it's good for him too (for good ratings if we get to know him with great service). He and the assistant waiter treated our kids really well (with little tricks he'd do for them, etc). Food was hit and miss. Some items pretty good and some not as good. However, overall, we had no issue with MDR.

On our next cruise, we will probably book one specialty to try it. (But we are on traditional dining this time so it's also nice to get same waiter same time each night in MDR). Will see if it makes a difference.

To me specialty dining = better food quality and selections, better service, better ambiance, tables not so close together, space to breathe and not feel rushed. It feels more special. MDR of years gone by does not exist anymore. Waiters are overloaded with too many tables and cannot handle any request other than delivering the next course with any kind of efficiency. For those who still love the MDR, good for you. I wish I felt the same. Last cruise we actually cancelled remaining MDR reservations after 2 mediocre experiences and opted for repeat specialty dining for the rest of the cruise. Now we have a hard time choosing a ship without a good amount of specialty restaurants because the MDR just isn't for us. Maybe once per cruise, or none at all if there are enough alternative choices. 10 years ago, it was so much better. But times are always changing and although it costs more, having lots of choices is extremely satisfying.

Does your above statement mean we should be concerned about the MDR? Or does it mean that the specialty restaurant are really really good? :)

It depends on the phase of the moon, biorhythms, and barometric pressure. I've had two wonderful meals in the specialty restaurants, one bad one ,and a couple of OK ones.

We having been cruising for 28 years and for the last 10 or so years we buy the specialty dining package for the entire cruise. It's our thing that we enjoy, our next cruise is on the Harmony and we have the ultimate package, so lunch for days at sea are included also. We just got off the Equinox on Royal's sister line and while we were speaking to our waiter we got on the subject of mdr vs specialty restaurants. He said the percentage of guests who book specialty dining, whether it's just 1 dinner or all of them like we do is only about 5% of cruisers will go to a specialty restaurant vs 95% still stick only with the mdr. That number seemed low to us, but from reading the boards it looks like it could be right

We having been cruising for 28 years and for the last 10 or so years we buy the specialty dining package for the entire cruise. It's our thing that we enjoy, our next cruise is on the Harmony and we have the ultimate package, so lunch for days at sea are included also. We just got off the Equinox on Royal's sister line and while we were speaking to our waiter we got on the subject of mdr vs specialty restaurants. He said the percentage of guests who book specialty dining, whether it's just 1 dinner or all of them like we do is only about 5% of cruisers will go to a specialty restaurant vs 95% still stick only with the mdr. That number seemed low to us, but from reading the boards it looks like it could be right

That very well could be right. Even the Specialties + MDR is not 100% of the cruisers. Many cruisers stick to the buffet and never even go into the MDR because they feel it takes up too much of their time and I fully respect that. The specialty restaurants aren't setup to handle very large numbers either so 5% makes sense to me.

dp

To me specialty dining = better food quality and selections, better service, better ambiance, tables not so close together, space to breathe and not feel rushed. It feels more special. MDR of years gone by does not exist anymore. Waiters are overloaded with too many tables and cannot handle any request other than delivering the next course with any kind of efficiency. For those who still love the MDR, good for you. I wish I felt the same. Last cruise we actually cancelled remaining MDR reservations after 2 mediocre experiences and opted for repeat specialty dining for the rest of the cruise. Now we have a hard time choosing a ship without a good amount of specialty restaurants because the MDR just isn't for us. Maybe once per cruise, or none at all if there are enough alternative choices. 10 years ago, it was so much better. But times are always changing and although it costs more, having lots of choices is extremely satisfying.

Time to switch to Oceania?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I have looked, even if you bought the ultimate package, you are still saving tons of money compared to oceania, and their ships have very little compared to RCI. It is like saying you should switch from your Honda Accord to a tesla Model S because you get better gas mileage. You will get better mileage, but the cost difference is huge, and the markets for each really aren't comparable, even if they are both sedans.

No no no I'm happy with mainstream cruising and paying extra for specialty dining. I like the excitement of the big ships and all the bells and whistles and entertainment. I suspect I'd be bored on one of the real luxury lines. I've seen some shows about them on Dream Cruises and I prefer a mega ship right now. Ropes courses, broadway shows, water slides etc. And good food/service!

I guess, primarily, we eat to live, we don't live to eat - oh, and we don't 'dine', we just grab a meal. Such is the uncultured life of shipboard boors. :D

Where is the like button? I will add that also, I don't have to come up with a menu, buy the ingredients, cook, and then clean up afterwards. I will always find something to eat.

When I have looked, even if you bought the ultimate package, you are still saving tons of money compared to oceania, and their ships have very little compared to RCI. It is like saying you should switch from your Honda Accord to a tesla Model S because you get better gas mileage. You will get better mileage, but the cost difference is huge, and the markets for each really aren't comparable, even if they are both sedans.

Do a "bottom line" (not cabin price) comparison of a mass market line like Celebrity and a premium like Oceania which, (beyond all else that is included with O but not with C) includes airfare. Look particularly at the 7-10 day Caribbean cruises. You may be very surprised that the right model "Mercedes" costs about the same as a "Buick" (and even a Ford if you add all the options).

True- no water slides, rock walls, photogs or prom nights on Oceania. But, after all, it's an "ocean cruise"- not an amusement park.

Finally, my comment really addresses the reality that "you do get what you pay for." So many folks here are so critical about the acccommodations and expect exactly the point you are trying to make:

"I want a Tesla but only want to spend Honda money."

There has to be a higher price point that those folks will be willing to pay to get significantly better food. We used to sail on lines like NCL and RC until we figured out the value quotient of the seemingly more expensive product.

Do a "bottom line" (not cabin price) comparison of a mass market line like Celebrity and a premium like Oceania which, (beyond all else that is included with O but not with C) includes airfare. Look particularly at the 7-10 day Caribbean cruises. You may be very surprised that the right model "Mercedes" costs about the same as a "Buick" (and even a Ford if you add all the options).

True- no water slides, rock walls, photogs or prom nights on Oceania. But, after all, it's an "ocean cruise"- not an amusement park.

Finally, my comment really addresses the reality that "you do get what you pay for." So many folks here are so critical about the acccommodations and expect exactly the point you are trying to make:

There has to be a higher price point that those folks will be willing to pay to get significantly better food. We used to sail on lines like NCL and RC until we figured out the value quotient of the seemingly more expensive product.

I have checked many times, and it is not close. While there may be some that are, I have never found them. I just checked ours, and while it is going from a 7day to a 10 day (which many cannot do with kids), the difference is massive. Our total price was $3800 for 4 in a balcony over spring break, even with Airfare, the total was still only $5200. On Oceania, it is $3500pp (14k). I am not sure I could even spend 9k on the RCI ship, unless I decided to purchase a bunch of jewelry. Add to this, my kids would be bored, and it really does not make sense in our case.

I am glad you find it worth it, but be real. If people want a luxury line that costs 3x as much, they know not to book RCI. For the price of a veranda on Oceania, we could book the aqua suite on RCI, which then allows for a genie, coastal kitchen, and many other perks.

I think the point is that the food USED to be good and the price hasn't gone down. So they are offering less for the same price. We have come to expect something in particular and they are changing it on us. Also, these other cruise lines would likely bore the heck out of our 9 and 12 year olds. Definitely good advice for when we get older and travel alone again!

I think the point is that the food USED to be good and the price hasn't gone down. So they are offering less for the same price. We have come to expect something in particular and they are changing it on us. Also, these other cruise lines would likely bore the heck out of our 9 and 12 year olds. Definitely good advice for when we get older and travel alone again!

We just had the most spectacular cruise on the Allure and part of the excellence was the incredible fantastic service we got in the MDR. We were a large group and it was a pleasure to have our servers have our drinks ready each night, know what bread we liked, and give us other dishes to taste. We felt very pampered with the service. Maybe a specialty restaurant for a special occasion, but the MDR was a great experience for all of us.