Diamond - free picture

Just google copyright laws for photographs. I spent 43 years in intellectual property law so I think I know of what I speak. The photograph is the property of the artist (photographer) and you are not free to use it. When I have professional photos done of one of my cats and want to use one in an ad or awards booklet, I must pay the photographer a release fee in addition to what I originally paid for the photo session and CD. I can't just use them at will. Occasionally a commercial photographer will use my cats for greeting cards, calendars, magazine ads and the like. I get paid and often they are kind enough to send me copies of some of the photos BUT, I am not free to use them (even though some would make wonderful Christmas cards).

You can't send your friends a copy of the DVD.

You are confusing display with reproduction and distribution.

You probably won't get sued for the Christmas card, but that doesn't make it right.

Jersey representing!

I've lived all over, much of which has been in NJ. If you told me, "There is a thread on the internet where people are discussing a photo that was provided by a cruise line, to a passenger, for free, as a perk. And, two people are arguing the legality of including this photo in the passenger's Christmas card. Lawsuit has come up in the conversation. What State are these people from?"

I'd get it 1st guess, haha.

Jersey representing!

I've lived all over, much of which has been in NJ. If you told me, "There is a thread on the internet where people are discussing a photo that was provided by a cruise line, to a passenger, for free, as a perk. And, two people are arguing the legality of including this photo in the passenger's Christmas card. Lawsuit has come up in the conversation. What State are these people from?"

I'd get it 1st guess, haha.

When I first started cruising (back when Dinosaurs ruled the earth), digital media was not sold on board. Therefore, If I bought a picture from the cruise, and I wanted to make copies to give to family or friends, I had to go to a web link and print the "Photo Release" form from the cruise line, and take it to Walgreen's or whoever I wanted to make the reproductions. Did it many times. If you pay for the picture, the cruise line isn't going to care if you make a slide show, put it on a DVD, make copies and give it to your friends. If you SOLD it, that would be another thing.

I did a little spelunking and found a link on RCI's site: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-picture-request

[url=https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-picture-request][/url]

I searched the resulting site and found this:

https://support.ourcruisephotos.com/support/solutions/articles/193656-copyright-release-form

Non-issue.

Edited by Chitoryubt

Just trying to help OP. Try it some time Johnny :)

Max, Max, Max. Where do I begin?

How's about full disclosure. 😉

You really should have said your cruise with the missing folders was on Enchantment right before dry dock when supplies were likely low. I seriously doubt that the OP will be in a similar situation.

As far as being helpful, I'm pretty sure my history speaks for itself. 😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Under copyright law, you could not use it in a Christmas card or put up on a website without an assignment of rights. They aren't going to hand over those rights for free, nor should they.

The digital photo packages do come with that rights assignment that pretty much states you can do whatever you want with the digital files (except assign someone else the rights).

Are you a copyright attorney?

Or did you stay at a Holiday Inn?

Max, Max, Max. Where do I begin?

How's about full disclosure. 😉

You really should have said your cruise with the missing folders was on Enchantment right before dry dock when supplies were likely low. I seriously doubt that the OP will be in a similar situation.

As far as being helpful, I'm pretty sure my history speaks for itself. 😁

John, we have to stay on the sidelines of this one; it's too big of a train wreck for us to wade into

LMaxwell.... i am going to wade in....

It is a freaking picture of some 40 to 70 something couple who have never been contacted by Vogue or Playboy to do a photo shoot... who the EFF gives a F.... if they copy a picture they bought while taking a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas and share it at Christmas.....

Just sayin...

Never mind ignore me.... I am not wading into this deep discussion of intellectual property.... Cause we all know how much art is involved with the Chinese photographer hired 3 months ago to take pictures in the MDR on a RCI ship...

..... dumbest thread ever....:evilsmile:

JC

Of course, I thought this was agreed to long, long ago:)

Gotta go, I'm printing off pics of your dog and making a calendar to sell to pay for my next cruise

Bella would be a hit... huge bucks made out of Westie calendars. However, you will have to dig deep to find pics of my dog, who is far more photogenic than Bella to make that even more special calendar.... I think I have posted a single pic.

JC

Bella would be a hit... huge bucks made out of Westie calendars. However, you will have to dig deep to find pics of my dog, who is far more photogenic than Bella to make that even more special calendar.... I think I have posted a single pic.

JC

I remember it. Handsome devil. 😁

I remember it. Handsome devil. 😁

We went to Portland over thanksgiving to watch PK80 and he was taken care of by 3 different friends for the weekend. Let's just say we have been back 3 days and he still needs a bath. On the plus side our plane landed at 1 AM Monday morning, and I have been at work every day this week full on... Then this weekend is the putting up of sill amounts of lights and inflatibles and videos, etc....

JC

We went to Portland over thanksgiving to watch PK80 and he was taken care of by 3 different friends for the weekend. Let's just say we have been back 3 days and he still needs a bath. On the plus side our plane landed at 1 AM Monday morning, and I have been at work every day this week full on... Then this weekend is the putting up of sill amounts of lights and inflatibles and videos, etc....

JC

I still have to hang a 3' lighted wreath on our balcony. It might be bright enough to see from the ships. Just not sure I want to leave it on for 14 days