Diamond - free picture

Hello everyone,

One of the benefits of diamond is a free any size photo. Instead of getting the photo print, can I get the file instead? Has anyone ever tried to ask? I'm willing to bring a blank CD for them to burn it in.

Thanks

The letter listing the coupons specifically states an 8 x 10 print. Bring the CD or a flash drive and ask if they will give you the file, but I doubt they will.

The free photo is only something already printed in the gallery, no offer for the digital version. I'd rather the print anyways, then scan and digitize it yourself easily.

Bring a manila or pocket folder, RCI had nothing to protect photos I got this weekend.

The free photo is only something already printed in the gallery, no offer for the digital version. I'd rather the print anyways, then scan and digitize it yourself easily.

Bring a manila or pocket folder, RCI had nothing to protect photos I got this weekend.

You really should sail on nicer ships. 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

What would you do with the file? You won't get assigned any rights so you can't actually do anything with it. At least with the print you can display it or put it in an album.

You can use it for a lot of personal reasons. We put a bunch of travel pictures together for our Christmas card, so a file would make it easier.

It also takes a lot less space in your house- no need to frame and display it. Or you can put it into a digital frame.

Or put it on your personal website.

You can use it for a lot of personal reasons. We put a bunch of travel pictures together for our Christmas card, so a file would make it easier.

It also takes a lot less space in your house- no need to frame and display it. Or you can put it into a digital frame.

Or put it on your personal website.

Under copyright law, you could not use it in a Christmas card or put up on a website without an assignment of rights. They aren't going to hand over those rights for free, nor should they.

The digital photo packages do come with that rights assignment that pretty much states you can do whatever you want with the digital files (except assign someone else the rights).

Under copyright law, you could not use it in a Christmas card or put up on a website without an assignment of rights. They aren't going to hand over those rights for free, nor should they.

The digital photo packages do come with that rights assignment that pretty much states you can do whatever you want with the digital files (except assign someone else the rights).

Do you have a link to that, as it makes no sense that you can not use a picture of you in a personal way.

If I were to sell the picture, that would be one thing. But for personal use, that's another. There's no difference in an actual file of the picture and a scan of the picture.

Do you have a link to that, as it makes no sense that you can not use a picture of you in a personal way.

If I were to sell the picture, that would be one thing. But for personal use, that's another. There's no difference in an actual file of the picture and a scan of the picture.

So I looked it up on my own, and RCI links you to the company that takes the pictures, and here's the most important terms and conditions- https://support.ourcruisephotos.com/support/solutions/articles/77547-image-desktop-our-cruise-photos-digital-terms-and-conditions

of which, this part is where it actually says that you can use the picture for personal use and give to family and friends:

3.3 You may only use the Software for your private, non-commercial use. You may not use the Software in any way to provide, or as part of, any commercial service or application. Copies of photographic files that are downloaded or copied using the Software, and which are protected by the copyright laws or related laws of any jurisdiction, are for your own personal use only and may not be distributed to third parties or displayed outside your normal circle of family and social acquaintances.

So as long as you don't sell it, and just give copies to your family and acquaintances, you are ok with using the digital photos. And I don't send Christmas cards to people I don't know.

Just google copyright laws for photographs. I spent 43 years in intellectual property law so I think I know of what I speak. The photograph is the property of the artist (photographer) and you are not free to use it. When I have professional photos done of one of my cats and want to use one in an ad or awards booklet, I must pay the photographer a release fee in addition to what I originally paid for the photo session and CD. I can't just use them at will. Occasionally a commercial photographer will use my cats for greeting cards, calendars, magazine ads and the like. I get paid and often they are kind enough to send me copies of some of the photos BUT, I am not free to use them (even though some would make wonderful Christmas cards).

Just google copyright laws for photographs. I spent 43 years in intellectual property law so I think I know of what I speak. The photograph is the property of the artist (photographer) and you are not free to use it. When I have professional photos done of one of my cats and want to use one in an ad or awards booklet, I must pay the photographer a release fee in addition to what I originally paid for the photo session and CD. I can't just use them at will. Occasionally a commercial photographer will use my cats for greeting cards, calendars, magazine ads and the like. I get paid and often they are kind enough to send me copies of some of the photos BUT, I am not free to use them (even though some would make wonderful Christmas cards).

I did, and posted the important part of the terms and conditions for these photos. Which pretty clearly says that you can use them for personal reasons. Such as handing copies to friends and family. Like in a Christmas card.

You can't sell the photo, nor use it for any commercial use, sure. Or even just give it out to random people. But that's not what I'm doing in a Christmas card. I'm giving it to family and acquaintances- which is explicitly ok in the terms and conditions.

I did, and posted the important part of the terms and conditions for these photos. Which pretty clearly says that you can use them for personal reasons. Such as handing copies to friends and family. Like in a Christmas card.

You can't sell the photo, nor use it for any commercial use, sure. Or even just give it out to random people. But that's not what I'm doing in a Christmas card. I'm giving it to family and acquaintances- which is explicitly ok in the terms and conditions.

Yes - actually, any given photographer can have their own specific rules to which you agree when purchasing their photos which could be more or less restrictive than basic copyright laws.

So I looked it up on my own, and RCI links you to the company that takes the pictures, and here's the most important terms and conditions- https://support.ourcruisephotos.com/support/solutions/articles/77547-image-desktop-our-cruise-photos-digital-terms-and-conditions

of which, this part is where it actually says that you can use the picture for personal use and give to family and friends:

3.3 You may only use the Software for your private, non-commercial use. You may not use the Software in any way to provide, or as part of, any commercial service or application. Copies of photographic files that are downloaded or copied using the Software, and which are protected by the copyright laws or related laws of any jurisdiction, are for your own personal use only and may not be distributed to third parties or displayed outside your normal circle of family and social acquaintances.
So as long as you don't sell it, and just give copies to your family and acquaintances, you are ok with using the digital photos. And I don't send Christmas cards to people I don't know.

Sorry, but no. That means that you can show the digital pictures to your friends and family as is (as in put a copy of the file on your phone and put the phone in their face). it doesn't give you the right to distribute the digital file, nor does it give you the right to print it or include it in other printed material (that is reproduction and distribution).

It's like the difference between watching a DVD on your TV with family versus taking the DVD to a large gathering place and showing it to an audience. They are not remotely the same thing.

The letter listing the coupons specifically states an 8 x 10 print. Bring the CD or a flash drive and ask if they will give you the file, but I doubt they will.

And if they did, they would probably lose it ;)

Yes - actually, any given photographer can have their own specific rules to which you agree when purchasing their photos which could be more or less restrictive than basic copyright laws.

Perhaps, but would they not have to tell me that they have rules that are more restrictive than the company they work for?

It explicitly states you can show the picture to family and friends. It also explicitly states you can't distribute the picture. You are redefining the meaning of "personal use" in a way that is not intended under copyright law.

Sorry, but no. That means that you can show the digital pictures to your friends and family as is (as in put a copy of the file on your phone and put the phone in their face). it doesn't give you the right to distribute the digital file, nor does it give you the right to print it or include it in other printed material (that is reproduction and distribution).

It's like the difference between watching a DVD on your TV with family versus taking the DVD to a large gathering place and showing it to an audience. They are not remotely the same thing.

Again, you can show a DVD to your family and friends. You are not sending your picture out to some random people, so your analogy isn't exactly correct.

It would be interesting to see someone getting sued over using a picture in a Christmas card that they send to family and friends. As that would open what it means to display it. You say it's one thing, I say it's another. I don't see a difference between making a copy of your picture to put on all of your family's phones to show and printing copies of it to show to family and friends. It's multiple copies of the same thing just on different media.

For comparison, these are the rights assignments granted when you buy a digital photo package. The drive they give you the files on includes a letter of assignment.

Photographer hereby grants to Customer permission to: (i) reproduce the Images, whether

in print or digital format or otherwise, (ii) authorize photo laboratories, photo shops or

other third parties to reproduce such Images, whether in print or digital format or

otherwise; (iii) display the Images publically; and (iv) distribute the Images; provided,

however, that the grant of this permission is for Customer’s personal, non-commercial

use only, regardless of whether Customer expects to generate, or actually generates, any

financial or beneficial benefits through its use of such rights

Notice that it actually allows printing and distribution, not just display as in the general T&C quoted previously.

Again, you can show a DVD to your family and friends. You are not sending your picture out to some random people, so your analogy isn't exactly correct.

It would be interesting to see someone getting sued over using a picture in a Christmas card that they send to family and friends. As that would open what it means to display it. You say it's one thing, I say it's another. I don't see a difference between making a copy of your picture to put on all of your family's phones to show and printing copies of it to show to family and friends. It's multiple copies of the same thing just on different media.

You can't send your friends a copy of the DVD.

You are confusing display with reproduction and distribution.

You probably won't get sued for the Christmas card, but that doesn't make it right.