Wifi on Grand - how slow?

cathycruise

Our recent cruises were on Regal and Royal, and I was utterly impressed with those two new ships’ wifi internet speed. Our next cruise will be on Grand, and I am wondering how much slower the internet speed will be on an older smaller class vessel. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regal and Royal likely have updated WiFi due to Medallion preparation. Other ships in the fleet have Internet access that is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Very slow. Very, very, slow.

We were on Crown last month and found that the wifi was actually pretty snappy [and I'm comparing to Verizon FiOS fiber service at home]. The Canada/NE itinerary is within free cell phone range in most ports, so we saved our minutes to the final sea day. Didn't try to stream video [or even upload pictures], but for email and internet surfing [including Cruise Critic] it was totally acceptable. We ended up with minutes left on the table...

Our recent cruises were on Regal and Royal, and I was utterly impressed with those two new ships’ wifi internet speed. Our next cruise will be on Grand, and I am wondering how much slower the internet speed will be on an older smaller class vessel. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last December on the Grand the internet was exactly as Thrak described it.

Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

I didn't try using it on the Royal Princess this year but will need to on our next cruise on the Grand coming up shortly. I have low expectations. So, anything better than wasting all my free minutes in trying to log in will make me happy.

Regal and Royal are the newest ships with the latest technology. The older ships use older technology which reminds me of dial up days of past. It is slow and drops the connection from time to time requiring one to start over. It is best to avoid downloading everything except word files and stay away from all graphics. The ships with ***** will have the newest technology and should have semi-reasonable WiFi available.

We were on the Grand in October and didn't noticed that the internet service was any slower than what we have previously experienced on Princess. They had streamlined the log in process which helped a lot IMHO. Of course, it's not fast like at home but we found it to be very useable.

I just got off the Grand. We had complimentary internet minutes so that was nice. I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for it. Sometimes it worked in the cabin and other times it didn't. It was always very very slowwwww when it did work. It was also very clunky to use. Sometimes it would be confusing to log-out and your minutes would waste away if not careful.

Forget video...... anywhere on the ship. That wasn't important, just saying.

You would think that as much as they charge for internet minutes, they would provide a better product.

Wasn't the Grand the ship that was the talk of the town just recently with the new internet plan launch? I seem to recall plenty of comments on how good it was? So is it back to the old system again?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk