Coffee Card

txd

I thought I had read somewhere that you could exchange your Elite liquor selection for a coffee card. Is this still the case? Thanx, Steve
You can exchange the complete mini bar setup for two coffee cards. You can also exchange it for a bottle of wine or there's a complete water setup if you prefer. We just switch out individual items for our preferred things.

3. What is the premium tea you receive with the card (it doesn't appear to be on the menu)?
They serve Mighty Leaf brand of teas. I like the mint. On our last cruise (Caribbean Princess around the British isles this summer), the dining room did not have any mint tea bags. I would pick up one from the International Café to take with me to dinner some nights. The other nights I drank chamomile.

FYI...this week on the Grand (Nov 28-Dec 8) they are no longer selling coffee cards. The folks in international cafe tell us it's all part of the transition to the new system. They ARE honoring those who already have them. If you don't have a coffee card you are being charged the individual drink prices.

And also...we were at one of the bars when IT made a computer chanDge. The bartender told us the picture now shows up when he runs your card for the drinks. He said it'll cut down on the sharing.

This is current to the Grand. I have no knowledge about what is happening on other ships right now.

Does this mean you could not exchange the elite mini bar set up for coffee cards anymore?

FYI...this week on the Grand (Nov 28-Dec 8) they are no longer selling coffee cards. The folks in international cafe tell us it's all part of the transition to the new system. They ARE honoring those who already have them. If you don't have a coffee card you are being charged the individual drink prices.

And also...we were at one of the bars when IT made a computer change. The bartender told us the picture now shows up when he runs your card for the drinks. He said it'll cut down on the sharing.

This is current to the Grand. I have no knowledge about what is happening on other ships right now.

Thanks for posting this. We are getting on the Grand in 17 days and love having the coffee cards. Usually we've bought them onboard, but with this in mind, I just ordered two online to maximize our chances of getting them.

And also...we were at one of the bars when IT made a computer change. The bartender told us the picture now shows up when he runs your card for the drinks. He said it'll cut down on the sharing.

That obviously can't be true since certain folks on this board have not experienced it for themselves. ;);)

I think they're a little pissed that they can't pass off their cards to friends & relatives any more. :D

I'm confused. The coffee card can be shared. It has a finite number of coffee drinks that are punched when used. It doesn't matter who uses it. Are you talking about sharing of the brewed coffee/tea that are unlimited on the card? The Grand is not scheduled to get the medallion any time soon. Is the coffee "card" done electronically now? Sorry, I don't have time to go back and read through all of the posts so if it was mentioned before, I apologize.

I'm confused. The coffee card can be shared. It has a finite number of coffee drinks that are punched when used. It doesn't matter who uses it. Are you talking about sharing of the brewed coffee/tea that are unlimited on the card? The Grand is not scheduled to get the medallion any time soon. Is the coffee "card" done electronically now? Sorry, I don't have time to go back and read through all of the posts so if it was mentioned before, I apologize.

Of course it can be shared (on the ship it's being used on at the time).

Sharing cannot be done by passing off the card to anyone else as has been done in the past since they'll be no physical card to pass off. They'll keep track of the punches in their computer so only you can use them in for future cruises- not your friends or someone you sold the card to on eBay. Old cards are still acceptable to be used - with ships name or without.

How this will work for ships that don't have the Medallion system installed yet is puzzling to me but I'm sure they've thought it all out.

I recently used an old coffee card to get a large cappuccino to go, and they used 2 punches. Is that normal? :confused: thanks!
Just off the Ruby and large specialty coffees were only one punch. Used one of the older cards to purchase a specialty coffee and a hot chocolate and they did not punch the card for the hot chocolate. Got a hot chocolate separately and had to use a punch.

The other poster mentioned he was at a bar, so the pic may be to cut down on sharing the AIBP, not the coffee.

Of course it can be shared (on the ship it's being used on at the time).

Sharing cannot be done by passing off the card to anyone else as has been done in the past since they'll be no physical card to pass off. They'll keep track of the punches in their computer so only you can use them in for future cruises- not your friends or someone you sold the card to on eBay. Old cards are still acceptable to be used - with ships name or without.

How this will work for ships that don't have the Medallion system installed yet is puzzling to me but I'm sure they've thought it all out.

Of course you can still use the ones on ebay. How does Princess know you didn't buy the card on a previous cruise. I won't use the medallion so they tell me it will be optional for many years to come. It will make cards more valuable if this IT happens. I have 3 to list tomorrow on ebay......anybody interested?? My email is my screen name at hotmail.com

The AIBP can't be shared on the Grand right now as the pic is showing up when the card is scanned. The bartender is having to let folks know the card isn't matching the pic when they order a beverage (other than coffee). Coffee cards already out there are being honored, as are those that were preorderd through the personalizer. At his point coffee cards can still be shared.

Again, that is this week on the Grand. From what we've heard from bar staff is that this is new policy FOR THIS SHIP.

Of course you can still use the ones on ebay. How does Princess know you didn't buy the card on a previous cruise. I won't use the medallion so they tell me it will be optional for many years to come. It will make cards more valuable if this IT happens. I have 3 to list tomorrow on ebay......anybody interested?? My email is my screen name at hotmail.com

They'll never know where anyone's card came from. If you refuse to use the Medallion, that's OK too. They'll sell you a coffee package & link it to the cruise card you'll use to open you cabin door. The punch information will still be stored on their computer system & you'll just present your card to get coffee/gelato & they'll check it off in the computer. This will prevent the unused cards from being sold in the future meaning a big profit for Princess since many people only cruise a few times in their lives & leave many unused digital punches in the cloud.

The AIBP can't be shared on the Grand right now as the pic is showing up when the card is scanned. The bartender is having to let folks know the card isn't matching the pic when they order a beverage (other than coffee). Coffee cards already out there are being honored, as are those that were preorderd through the personalizer. At his point coffee cards can still be shared.

Again, that is this week on the Grand. From what we've heard from bar staff is that this is new policy FOR THIS SHIP.

Looks like folks will just have to get drinks for their friends in person from now on.

• 8 months later...

We only got one punch for the large sized coffee on the Star two weeks ago. I bought on eBay, and not barista even bothered to turn it over and look for a name/cruise. We used it once in the dining room and they were gone a long time, so may have had to go to the International Cafe to get it.

We only got one punch for the large sized coffee on the Star two weeks ago. I bought on eBay, and not barista even bothered to turn it over and look for a name/cruise. We used it once in the dining room and they were gone a long time, so may have had to go to the International Cafe to get it.

Since Princess has replaced the physical cards with an electronic coffee plan, they don't need to look for a name/cruise because they know it could not have been sold on that cruise, since they do not sell them anymore. Thus the punch for coffee.

I recently used an old coffee card to get a large cappuccino to go, and they used 2 punches. Is that normal? :confused: thanks!

They CHEATED you out of a punch, don't be bullied by those bartenders, ASK if only ONE punch, say that is only ONE punch for ANYTHING

I just returned from the Regal Princess this past week and I used an older coffee card from a previous cruise with Regal and the ship's name (Regal) written on the back and the sailing number. One time it was turned over and my card was punched for a regular coffee as well as a specialty coffee. All the other times I used it, I was never charged (punched) for regular coffee but it was for the specialty coffees. It all depends on who is serving you. Sometimes they notice and sometimes don't.

You are right, depends on who is serving, don't forget ONLY ONE PUNCH FOR EACH DRINK, they are trying to get rid of old cards by punching more than one