Connecting balconies? Maybe not anymore --Eclipse Dec 2017

cruisestitch

We asked room steward on Eclipse if glass partition could be removed and he told us he could not because it could only be done by one of the engineers. When we returned from dinner it had been removed and we never saw it again for the entire cruise. I think they don't encourage it but if you ask they will comply....in our case our daughter and sil were next to us and we had non-connecting aft cabins. One thing removal does is allow access to each other's cabin through the balcony doors.

Must be a brand new policy as we disembarked the Eclipse on 11/26 and the folks in the balcony next to us had their divider open to connect with another couple.

Not a big deal to us.

This sounded awfully familiar so I went searching for the old thread. The other thread was started by the OP in May 2016! Guess they only print this when you're onboard! Have you asked anyone on the staff what it means? Did you ask them about it in 2016? I hope you will so we can answer the question in 2018.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322999

I haven't seen that notice in any Daily since that first post. I asked my steward about it and was told there was "an incident". So I tried Guest Relations and they were equally vague. If you want verandah dividers opened, for sure asks and let us know what happens!

I went back are re-read the notice that the OP posted. It sounded to me like the cruise line didn't want people to try and open the partition themselves and brace them open with furniture. We have friends who just got back from Solstice and they were able to open their balcony divider with the other couple next to them they were traveling with.

We asked room steward on Eclipse if glass partition could be removed and he told us he could not because it could only be done by one of the engineers. When we returned from dinner it had been removed and we never saw it again for the entire cruise. I think they don't encourage it but if you ask they will comply....in our case our daughter and sil were next to us and we had non-connecting aft cabins. One thing removal does is allow access to each other's cabin through the balcony doors.

The dividers aren't removed, they are opened. The "S" class ships have about 1/2 metal the half glass, the glass is on hinges and opens up and folds flat on the metal surface. You really only have an opening between the balconies

I went back are re-read the notice that the OP posted. It sounded to me like the cruise line didn't want people to try and open the partition themselves and brace them open with furniture. We have friends who just got back from Solstice and they were able to open their balcony divider with the other couple next to them they were traveling with.

You can't open the partition yourself. You need a tool that your stateroom attendant has to open it.

The dividers aren't removed, they are opened. The "S" class ships have about 1/2 metal the half glass, the glass is on hinges and opens up and folds flat on the metal surface. You really only have an opening between the balconies

To be honest, I never noticed (nor cared) where they put the glass partition....all I know is it was gone! The metal portion of course was not removed.

To be honest, I never noticed (nor cared) where they put the glass partition....all I know is it was gone! The metal portion of course was not removed.

The glass partitions are on hinges and they cannot be removed. They are folded either onto yours or the stateroom next to you with a couple of clips.