Silly Question - What Precautions Do You Take to Avoid Getting Sick on Cruise

We just got back from NCL Escape on Saturday. By Wednesday my hubby had sore throat and it got worse as the week went on. He's going to the doctor tomorrow because he thinks he has a sinus infection.

We always use the hand sanitizer before we eat our meals and we always wash our hands thoroughly in the restroom. But we are constantly handing our key card to the waitress for drinks. And we don't wash our hands each time we get the key card back.

There are so many people on these ships. I'm just curious what you do to try to stay healthy while on board.

We are going on Freedom January 6 with hubby, our 3 adult kids and their spouses. It's more fun if we can all stay healthy during the cruise.

Thanks

A sinus infection is not contagious he would have gotten that cruise or no cruise. I use hand sanitizer and wash my hands alot, but that's it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your feedback.

He's not sure if it's a sinus infection until he sees the doctor. But I looked up sinus infection on Web MD and it states below that a sinus infection can start from a virus. I just thought a lot of germs must be spread by passing the key card back and forth to all the waitresses. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on staying healthy with so many people on board.

Viruses

Most sinus infections are brought on by a virus. If that’s what happened to you, then yes, you can spread the virus that caused it but not the infection itself. Another person might get sick but may or may not get a sinus infection. Most of the time, these kinds of viruses cause colds, which may or may not lead to sinus infections.

Bacteria

Sometimes when the sinuses are blocked and filled with mucus, bacteria can grow and cause an infection. If your sinus infection lasts more than 10-14 days, you’re more likely to have bacterial sinusitis. If your infection is caused by bacteria, you can’t spread it.

I rarely have sinus issues or even a cold or sore throat; but I have THE sketchiest gut ever. Gluten free, Low FODMAP, I'm a regular gastroenterological disaster and my GI doc and I are on a 1st name basis. So for THAT issue, I make sure I start taking pro-biotics 2 weeks ahead of time and bring them w/ me onboard. My doctor also suggested I could take pepto on a pre-emptive basis twice a day, but I haven't done that (or needed that). And I'm scrupulous about hand washing and the Purell. Obsessive. So far so good. Noro once in 70+ cruises, decades ago. Once was 1 too many btw.

Oh and if I do go to the buffet I'm very picky about what I'll eat. If someone puts the handle of the spoon into the food.... forget about it. And I use Purell BEFORE and after using all those serving spoons (the buffet is the last place I try to eat). Again my situation is more sensitive than most, but maybe a good idea for many people.

I've heard of people coming into the cabin and immediately taking clorox wipes etc to the remote, the handles on doors and drawers, the phone, yadda yadda.

This is my vacation. I don't clean my own house, and since my housekeeper isn't coming with me on the ship, I'm not about to start scrubbing my cabin down. PERSONALLY I think that doing that is going a bit overboard. But ya gotta do what makes you feel comfortable.

He's not sure if it's a sinus infection until he sees the doctor. But I looked up sinus infection on Web MD and it states below that a sinus infection can start from a virus. I just thought a lot of germs must be spread by passing the key card back and forth to all the waitresses. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on staying healthy with so many people on board.

Viruses

Most sinus infections are brought on by a virus. If that’s what happened to you, then yes, you can spread the virus that caused it but not the infection itself. Another person might get sick but may or may not get a sinus infection. Most of the time, these kinds of viruses cause colds, which may or may not lead to sinus infections.

Bacteria

Sometimes when the sinuses are blocked and filled with mucus, bacteria can grow and cause an infection. If your sinus infection lasts more than 10-14 days, you’re more likely to have bacterial sinusitis. If your infection is caused by bacteria, you can’t spread it.

Very interesting.

Not a silly question!

I encourage every one in my family to be sure to make time to rest up prior to and during the cruise so our natural immune system has the best chance to fight off infections and germs...

Need to be mindful also about traveling in the Air as well as on the ship.

* Beware of the buffet and holding the serving utensils. Often on Holland, they serve the passengers the first day or two to minimize the potential transfer of germs.

* Of course be aware of handrails and elevator buttons.

* Yea, I am one to wipe down the room with disinfectant paying special attention to the TV remote, light switches and drawers.

A sinus infection is not contagious he would have gotten that cruise or no cruise. I use hand sanitizer and wash my hands alot, but that's it.

A sinus infection is a bacterial infection but is often caused by conditions brought on by a virus. I used to have a deviated septum and every time I got a cold I ended up with a sinus infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A sinus infection is a bacterial infection but is often caused by conditions brought on by a virus. I used to have a deviated septum and every time I got a cold I ended up with a sinus infection.

Hmmmm mine are always due to the allergies. I have been wrong on here all day, guess this last time is my cue to go to bed.

For airborne bacteria and viruses, I do my best to be overall healthy. Good diet, exercise, that sort of thing.

For belly worries, I wash my hands before going to get food and I don’t touch hands to mouth. That means I don’t worry about what is on the buffet ladles because I’m not going to pick up food and put it in my mouth. I’ll use my fork. At dinner I won’t eat the rolls. As long as I keep my hands away from my mouth (and don’t somehow walk through an area where someone with noro JUST vomited), I don’t worry about it.

Now, my son and I have a bad nail-gnawing habit, and we both ended up with noro at home because of it. Embarrassing. Totally our fault. No interest in having that experience on a ship.

Hmmmm mine are always due to the allergies. I have been wrong on here all day, guess this last time is my cue to go to bed.

If your doctor is calling an allergy-based issue an “infection”, you need a different doctor IMO.

If he’s treating an allergy based issue with antibiotics, that’s even worse.

Viruses

Bacteria

I use Nasal Saline ... not when I'm ill, but just as a sinus flush. I don't use it daily ... but sometimes 2 - 3 times a week.

On a cruise ... I DO wipe down my cabin and I carry sani gel in my purse and use it constantly.

I typically get sick from the flight. Came back from Europe with an awful respiratory infection ... sinus and chest. Was sick for weeks even after a full cycle of antibiotics.

You can get surgery to repair this. I had my nose broken & placed in a splint to straighten. No more sinus infections.

The e&t recommendation was to flush the sinuses out with s netti potty and salt water. It works. The salt air on a cruise is also good for you.

You can try and boost your immunity by taking multi vitamins prior to cruising but see your DR prior for a full health checkup

All we really do is wash hands very well (move rings to get soap and rinsse under where they lay, go up onto wrists, under fingernails, etc) often---and (knock on wood) we are rarely sick while travellig (no more so than otherwise).

We are also aware of how too little sleep, too much alcohol and/or too much sun can all weaken you so that you are more liekly to succumb to germs you come into contact with. I think travellers are often ill from simply overdoing it and stressing their bodies so that the bugs they encoutner more easily take hold and not really from encountering more bugs than normal.

I also think the people who get the sickest are the ones who try too hard to kill all the germs all the time and never build up any sort of immunity.

I had a case of norovirus on a ship a few years ago. It was not fun. Since then, I use EVERY hand sanitizer I pass on the ship. I never walk past one without taking a "squirt". There are so many things on the ship that have the potential to spread germs (elevator buttons, hand rails etc.), why take the chance? I am not a germaphobe by any means, just extra cautious now that I had a bad experience.

DH and I got pretty sick after our cruise in February. DH got sick last 2 day s with flu like symptoms. I started 3 days after the cruise and it lingered for months with various rounds. Our ds was fine! I’m not sure if we will do anything different. We will definitely relax more as it’s just DH and I on this cruise. We shall see.

I do the ordinary hand washing (after bathroom and before eating). I don't touch handrails,elevator buttons, or the salt and pepper shakers. I'm not a big fan of the buffet tongs but what are you going to do. There are so many things that you can potentially pick bugs up from...like menus etc.

Basically I assume all of those nasty germs are on my hands and proceed accordingly. I do not touch my eyes, nose, or mouth. If I am going to eat something without utensils I use hand sanitizer. Then I hope for the best.

I have 4 kids and believe me..everyday is a new adventure : )

I had a case of norovirus on a ship a few years ago. It was not fun. Since then, I use EVERY hand sanitizer I pass on the ship. I never walk past one without taking a "squirt". There are so many things on the ship that have the potential to spread germs (elevator buttons, hand rails etc.), why take the chance? I am not a germaphobe by any means, just extra cautious now that I had a bad experience.

Hand sanitizer gel does not kill viruses. You are better off just washing your hands and not putting them near your mouth.

I do absolutely nothing. Never have, and never will. I behave the same as I behave on land. I avoid buffets, wash my hands, and avoid sick visible sick people. What I don't do, is walk around in fear of germs. I touch doors, handles, railings and every possible thing I can.

I agree 100%. We've never been sick on a cruise, and I contribute that to hand washing practices, and not sharing utensils or cups.