Can my 18 year old daughter drink alcohol on RC Australia/South Pacific cruises?

Kel000

My 18 year old had a few fruity drinks by the pool and a glass of champagne on our Christmas cruise last year. The champagne was handed to her unasked for (and her 16 year old sister) by our server on Christmas Eve and I purchased the pool drinks and then gave them to her right on deck. No one looked twice. We did ask when we boarded and were told "no" she had to be 21.

Would you report someone who was underage and having a drink? At 18?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not quite sure where you came up with the assumption that I would ever report anyone. I simply posted Royals policy on the matter as no one else had and stated what I personally would do.

You or anyone else as adults are free to do as you wish and what you do does not concern me in the least.

(BTW, being from Canada with a lower drinking age are in the same boat (ship) as you.

Is any workers on the ship, those who hesitate to confront anyone about any type of idiotic behavior, really going to say something to a father who is buying his daughter a drink? I honestly doubt it. It's a non issue for everyone but the sky is falling crowd.

How did this questions turn from being a simple question, into a discussion, with a law enforcement officer telling everyone that it's ok to break the rules. Now I understand in some state it is legal to drink, but not purchase but on the ship, the rule is no drinking under 21, so for all the people who are encouraging drinking, including law enforcement officers, you should be sent to walk on the plank.

Like anyplace, if you want to do something that is breaking a law, or rule, than do it without encouraging others to follow. Let them make their own decision if they want to risk, being dropped off at the next port.

Unfortunately the problem is with parents who are not responsible. A soon to be of age young person having a glass of wine, beer, fruity drink isn't a problem to most passengers or crew and usually goes unnoticed.

I believe there was a well-publicized case several years ago about a family from Ireland who were put ashore. They had been providing alcohol to their teens and the parents were also very drunk, obnoxious and combative.

I think that's the reason for posters providing the rules. Decision is in the hands of the parents - their choice. It boils down to appropriate behavior by parents and young people and not claiming ignorance of ship's policy.

Is any workers on the ship, those who hesitate to confront anyone about any type of idiotic behavior, really going to say something to a father who is buying his daughter a drink? I honestly doubt it. It's a non issue for everyone but the sky is falling crowd.

Rules are rules but it appears that you feel these rules don’t apply to you because you are in law enforcement. I actually have no idea what your job has to do with RCIs drinking policy.

You certainly are setting a fine example

for your daughter. If she commits a crime are you going to fix it so she doesn’t go to jail??

the information you provided to cruise critic when you signed up indicates you are located in Ohio. That's why someone made that reference.

Well some people own more then one house. I have a house in NYC, Also have a house in Ohio and one in SanFrancisco. I was in Ohio when I created this account. Ohio is a central location to East and west coast witch I travel between.

the rule is no drinking under 21

No, that's the rule for the US. The US has some extremely restrictive practices that those who live there are generally not aware of in terms of now restrictive they are compared to just about everywhere else. The broad categories where US culture is fundamentally different to really everywhere else on Planet Earth are: sexual relations, gun ownership, tipping, and the consumption of alcohol.

On a cruise departing AU and NZ: free sex is legal before skin has become old and saggy like on a tortoise, nobody owns a handgun and so there's no chance of someone thinking they should take theirs on holiday, nobody parts with money just because someone smiled at them, drinking is allowed from the age the majority of people have reached an adult level of maturity.

A good answer to the original question would be "She'll be in a safe and respectful land of the free and so of course she can act as any reasonable adult would want to".

Rules are rules but it appears that you feel these rules don’t apply to you because you are in law enforcement. I actually have no idea what your job has to do with RCIs drinking policy.

You certainly are setting a fine example

for your daughter. If she commits a crime are you going to fix it so she doesn’t go to jail??

Great the parenting police are out and riding in on their high horses.

Unfortunately the problem is with parents who are not responsible. A soon to be of age young person having a glass of wine, beer, fruity drink isn't a problem to most passengers or crew and usually goes unnoticed.

I believe there was a well-publicized case several years ago about a family from Ireland who were put ashore. They had been providing alcohol to their teens and the parents were also very drunk, obnoxious and combative.

I think that's the reason for posters providing the rules. Decision is in the hands of the parents - their choice. It boils down to appropriate behavior by parents and young people and not claiming ignorance of ship's policy.

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. If you can’t follow the rules imposed by a Cruise Line, then stay at home where you can monitor your underage children when alcohol is involved.

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. If you can’t follow the rules imposed by a Cruise Line, then stay at home where you can monitor your underage children when alcohol is involved.

Why such venom? How is it effecting you? I've seen plenty of drunks in public making fools of themselves on various vacations. All adults. My last RCL cruise we watched security wheel a clearly adult man probably in his 40's who was drunk and angry (and missing a shoe no less) back on board after a port day. He was verbally ripping his female companion to shreds because "he could walk".

Why such venom? How is it effecting you? I've seen plenty of drunks in public making fools of themselves on various vacations. All adults. My last RCL cruise we watched security wheel a clearly adult man probably in his 40's who was drunk and angry (and missing a shoe no less) back on board after a port day. He was verbally ripping his female companion to shreds because "he could walk".

No venom..........just simply stating a fact. The discussion is about "responsible parents" providing their child/children under the age of 21 an alcoholic beverage while sailing in US waters (rules are different in Europe and Australia). RCI clearly states that the legal drinking age in US waters is 21 and over.......not 18, 19 or 20.

Here is what I think is a really good analogy.

Years ago, California adopted "right turn on red" rules. Pennsylvania was far behind.

If I decided to make a right turn on a red light, because I could clearly see the road and see that no cars were coming, and because I am an adult and a good driver, I WOULD GET A TICKET.

Just because something is legal in Place A, when in Place B where it is not legal, arguing that "I can do that in Place A" is a losing argument.

Here is what I think is a really good analogy.

Years ago, California adopted "right turn on red" rules. Pennsylvania was far behind.

If I decided to make a right turn on a red light, because I could clearly see the road and see that no cars were coming, and because I am an adult and a good driver, I WOULD GET A TICKET.

Just because something is legal in Place A, when in Place B where it is not legal, arguing that "I can do that in Place A" is a losing argument.

But the good news for the OP is that they will be in place A, with none of the narrow minded restrictions and judgmental views of place B and as much as the place B people may argue their case about 'rules is rules' the fact is the OPs daughter can enjoy herself and enjoy her drink, without the fusspots disapproving ;p

How did this questions turn from being a simple question, into a discussion, with a law enforcement officer telling everyone that it's ok to break the rules. Now I understand in some state it is legal to drink, but not purchase but on the ship, the rule is no drinking under 21, so for all the people who are encouraging drinking, including law enforcement officers, you should be sent to walk on the plank.

Like anyplace, if you want to do something that is breaking a law, or rule, than do it without encouraging others to follow. Let them make their own decision if they want to risk, being dropped off at the next port.

As OP specifically asks about Australia, no the rule isn’t “no drinking under 21”, it’s 18.

Another thread displaying how many Americans seem to think that the rules, customs etc that apply in America apply (or should apply) everywhere in the world.

The OP Clearly asked abou5 Australia, as few, 8nclud8ng me, pointed out all will be fine.

I am surprising my family with a RC cruise in March 2018, my daughter will have just turned 18. I was told that she may not be able to drink alcohol as RC is an American company? Can someone please confirm or deny? I made sure we would be sailing after she turned 18 for this reason so I'll have to warn her if she can't drink! Thanks :D

GUT2407 - responding to your post.

OP may have an Australian address, and not sure what the heading of the post was, but the actual post listed above did not indicate that OP was planning a cruise from an Australian port. Please don't be so critical of posters trying to explain the actual rules applying to US and other ports.

GUT2407 - responding to your post.

OP may have an Australian address, and not sure what the heading of the post was, but the actual post listed above did not indicate that OP was planning a cruise from an Australian port. Please don't be so critical of posters trying to explain the actual rules applying to US and other ports.

Um title of the thread may give a tiny hint

Can my 18 year old daughter drink alcohol on RC Australia/South Pacific cruises?

So less than nothing to do with the rules in US ports.