Chef's Table...is it worth it?

mbjonsn

I seem to remember on Anthem that it is in a nice separate room in the back of Chops.

We have done Chef’s Table on a number of RC ships and they are very nice. Food is significantly above most of the restaurants (about on par with Wonderland). Long meal, but it is usually fun talking to others there. We have often met people we talk to the rest of the cruise. Wines are mixed and generally not that special (but I am a wine snob) although some are good.

One issue. We have some food restrictions. Used to be that we could get substitutes that were quite good. Substitutes have gone downhill lately ( particularly this summer on Brilliance)

Thanks for the info! [emoji846] A lot depends on the guests you have at the table with you, but we are game to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 8 months later...
I've done it 4 times and loved it every time. Never got it at 50% off though. How did you do that?

In our case, which was luck, we didn't pre-book dining online at all. Soon as we got on the ship, we were hammered with deals. As we walked on, one of the waiters pushing Chef's Table came and said a certain price; I replied, "If you give me a BOGO on Chef's Table, I'll do it" thinking my bartering wouldn't go far, then he offered his card, took our cabin number and said he's going to call me. Deal went down with the BOGO.

I'm glad this has come up, but we are on Vision in July next year out of Barcelona and didn't see Chef's Table being offered online as a specialty dining item. Is it even on Vision? I hope so. We love it; it's the overall experience and you get plenty of different wines. The ONLY disappointing dish for me was something called crackling pork. As we ate, it sounded like we were at National Lampoon's Christmas vacation eating Clark's well done turkey.

Has anyone done it on a Mediterranean cruise? I’m wondering if it would be worth it for me traveling solo on Rhapsody next month.

Like others say, it’s often dependent on who is at the table with you. I’ve been lucky and have had some great groups - some better than others. But concerned because the cruise I’m on (not surprisingly) has a slow Roll Call and won’t have a Meet&Mingle (only 7 people signed up.). The cruise itself is sold out.

I'm glad this has come up, but we are on Vision in July next year out of Barcelona and didn't see Chef's Table being offered online as a specialty dining item. Is it even on Vision? I hope so. We love it; it's the overall experience and you get plenty of different wines. The ONLY disappointing dish for me was something called crackling pork. As we ate, it sounded like we were at National Lampoon's Christmas vacation eating Clark's well done turkey.

We leave on the Vision of the Seas on September 23 and that’s where we’ll be experiencing it for the very first time. Keep watching for it. Maybe it’s too early yet?

And [emoji23]!!!

We love Chef's Table and nearly always do it. We've had some amazing meals and met some really nice people - have never had a bad experience. We particularly like it in the lovely dedicated dining room on Radiance Class ships. For those with a drinks package (or who don't drink wine) it may not be worth it. Depending on numbers wanting to do it we've often been able to negotiate a discount and on a couple of cruises we've negotiated a discount and a different menu to repeat the experience with people from the first Chef's Table.

Our only disappointment was our last one on Explorer, the food was lovely but the ambience wasn't. We were in a section at the back of Chops with just a curtain pulled across. We felt that the lack of dedicated venue meant we didn't get quite the same wine service as there was a need to press on and finish the meal so Chops could be set back up. I wouldn't want to do it on Oasis or is it Allure (?) where the hold it in Coastal Kitchen - again not a dedicated venue.

Thanks for the info! [emoji846] A lot depends on the guests you have at the table with you, but we are game to do it again.

I agree, we have met some very interesting and engaging people.

On our next cruise, 10 of us we booked as a group. hopefully it will just be our group.

We love Chef's Table and nearly always do it. We've had some amazing meals and met some really nice people - have never had a bad experience. We particularly like it in the lovely dedicated dining room on Radiance Class ships. For those with a drinks package (or who don't drink wine) it may not be worth it. Depending on numbers wanting to do it we've often been able to negotiate a discount and on a couple of cruises we've negotiated a discount and a different menu to repeat the experience with people from the first Chef's Table.

Our only disappointment was our last one on Explorer, the food was lovely but the ambience wasn't. We were in a section at the back of Chops with just a curtain pulled across. We felt that the lack of dedicated venue meant we didn't get quite the same wine service as there was a need to press on and finish the meal so Chops could be set back up. I wouldn't want to do it on Oasis or is it Allure (?) where the hold it in Coastal Kitchen - again not a dedicated venue.

I noticed on Anthem that the chef's table was sectioned off in a corner windjammer next to chops using curtain dividers and pointed it out to my wife that it looked like office dividers... but our next cruise is on Brilliance next August and we already have CT booked and are looking forward to it. Really enjoyed seeing the pictures of the venue for CT on Radiance class.

dp

I noticed on Anthem that the chef's table was sectioned off in a corner windjammer next to chops using curtain dividers and pointed it out to my wife that it looked like office dividers...

dp

Are you talking about another ship? Chef’s Table on Anthem is a completely enclosed space in Chops - it’s very nice. No curtains. No where near Windjammer!!

Has anyone done it on a Mediterranean cruise? I’m wondering if it would be worth it for me traveling solo on Rhapsody next month.

Like others say, it’s often dependent on who is at the table with you. I’ve been lucky and have had some great groups - some better than others. But concerned because the cruise I’m on (not surprisingly) has a slow Roll Call and won’t have a Meet&Mingle (only 7 people signed up.). The cruise itself is sold out.

We did Chef's Table on Brilliance last year - EXCELLENT experience. Had one of the best guests in there, he spoke his mind, and took the stuffiness RIGHT out of the rest of them! We're friends now on another social media source.:cool::cool:

We did it on Liberty and enjoyed the meal , the chef came out between courses and we also enjoyed the paired wine (apart from the chardonnay which we never drink) . Our table companions were talkative and it was a good night. It was however in the Windjammer in a sectioned off area and we would have preferred somewhere different. We did however do Wonderland on Ovation earlier his year and of the two we preferred Wonderland.

Are you talking about another ship? Chef’s Table on Anthem is a completely enclosed space in Chops - it’s very nice. No curtains. No where near Windjammer!!

Sorry, You are right about chops, that is on Deck Five, I meant Chefs Table, They had a section curtained off just across from chefs table. This was in March of 2017, and it was march break, it might have been temporarily moved due to overflow. Then again I'm going purely from memory here cause I have no pictures to jog my memory. I can't remember if when I saw that section if there was a portable sign indicating chef's table when I pointed out the section to my wife of if I assumed it was when I seen it...

dp

Sorry, You are right about chops, that is on Deck Five, I meant Chefs Table, They had a section curtained off just across from chefs table. This was in March of 2017, and it was march break, it might have been temporarily moved due to overflow. Then again I'm going purely from memory here cause I have no pictures to jog my memory. I can't remember if when I saw that section if there was a portable sign indicating chef's table when I pointed out the section to my wife of if I assumed it was when I seen it...

dp

Again, I must be out of it :rolleyes:, First time I said, Chops... Then I said Chef's Table... when I really meant "Coastal Kitchen" I have to start making my coffee stronger :confused:

Sorry for the confusion.

dp

We did the Chef's Table on the Rhapsody out of Venice. Its in a great separate space. On our cruise there was only us (3 ppl) and one other family, a couple with 2 young adult daughters. We were lucky as they were great and my son is still in touch with one of the daughters we dined with.

We also had a slow roll call and no Meet & Mingle. I don't think I have ever had on on Med cruises.

We’ve done Chef’s Table 5or 6 times on various ships. Although some were better than others, we’ve enjoyed each one. The food was fabulous on our Seranade cruise in April, best filet I’ve ever had in my life.😀 The wines are ok, some really good, but all are better than the DL/CL.

We never pay full price, the last few times we’ve gotten 50% off.;)

Sherri:)