Does Princess respect its passengers.

Loreni

So you are saying that the public told the airlines to build their planes with smaller seats and less legroom?? :o I would think it was more a case of “let’s squeeze as many a$$es in the plane as possible to increase profits; comfort be damned”.

The public, through their buying patterns, "told" the airlines they wanted only the cheapest flights possible. In surveys, the public said they would pay more for better seats but they only flew on the cheapest fares.

Airlines that only offered plush seating at higher prices would not survive in today's business environment.

When you book a flight do you look at the types of seating, the legroom, the types of cushions or do you just book the cheapest flights possible?

When you book a cruise, do you book specific rooms or do you go for the guarantee?

The public, through their buying patterns, "told" the airlines they wanted only the cheapest flights possible. In surveys, the public said they would pay more for better seats but they only flew on the cheapest fares.

Airlines that only offered plush seating at higher prices would not survive in today's business environment.

When you book a flight do you look at the types of seating, the legroom, the types of cushions or do you just book the cheapest flights possible?

When you book a cruise, do you book specific rooms or do you go for the guarantee?

Please! How many times have we heard companies say “our customers have told us they wanted us to reduce (fill in the cutback)?” In order to justify cost cutting.

I’m not sure it’s a respect sue, but $$$$ and to a degree I nderstand why.

Cruise 2004, $1799, same cruise 2017 $1699 and $350 OBC.

That has to come from somewhere and looking at share prices it’s not the bottom line it’s coming off.

Agree it's not a respect issue. More on business aspect.

We have been booking suites on Princess but am doing a 15-night cruise to Antarctica on the Silversea Cloud expedition ship in 2018. It is all inclusive but we don't drink so it is not a good value to us. We also have 20-day Greenland Iceland and British Isles on Oceania.

I've booked exclusively 'Insides' for my Princess history. I'm booked on the Silver Cloud Expedition for her 21-day, 'Cape to Cape' (Ushuaia to Cape Town) in March 2019... mainly because I want to go to South Georgia (been to Antarctica). If you want to go to S.G. there is not a lot of choice in lines or ships.

Haven't tried Oceania yet, but as you point out, for non-drinkers it's probably a better value than an all-inclusive luxury line - their fares average less per day i.e. you're not being charged for alcohol you're not consuming. I see Oceania as a step between the 'mass market' (Princess, HAL, Celebrity) lines and the 'luxury' lines.

Will I sail Princess after sailing Silversea?... Yes (I have a FCD and $300 in gift certificates to use up).

Do I expect better food and service on Silversea?... Yes (I'm paying for it; and the Silver Cloud has 203 crew to 200 pax... more than a 1 to 1 ratio).

Do I expect Silversea to 'respect' me more than Princess?... No (they're both businesses and it's not a matter of respect).

That is my fear too.

Since we started cruising in the 1990's Princess and others were taken over by Carnival and we have seen a steady but very clear decline. Whilst cruise prices may not have kept up with costs, the on-board sell most certainly has whilst food quality along with other experiences and quality has declined. Very sad.:'):'):')

Agree!

So you are saying that the public told the airlines to build their planes with smaller seats and less legroom?? :o I would think it was more a case of “let’s squeeze as many a$$es in the plane as possible to increase profits; comfort be damned”.

The large percentage of traveling pubic said that they value price over comfort when it comes to flying. Thus the success of low cost no frill airlines, the shrinkage of space in coach, fewer, fuller flights and the appearance of basic economy fares on the major airlines.

As long as the public primarily picks flights based upon cost, the airlines will continue to try to keep costs as low as possible.

Agree it's not a respect issue. More on business aspect.

Some of it is from the move to larger ships which are much more cost efficient per passenger than the older smaller ships. Some comes from the move to on board spending which not runs about 25-30% of main line cruise lines revenue.

The large percentage of traveling pubic said that they value price over comfort when it comes to flying. Thus the success of low cost no frill airlines, the shrinkage of space in coach, fewer, fuller flights and the appearance of basic economy fares on the major airlines.

As long as the public primarily picks flights based upon cost, the airlines will continue to try to keep costs as low as possible.

And as long as there are threads here on cruise critic about how to get the cheapest cruise prices you will continue to see prices/quality drop on board.

I, for one, am glad to see the emergence of a two-tiered cruising experience where I have the option to pay more for a better experience.

Just flew to Europe for a cruise. Bought Premium Economy on Lufthansa. It cost 2k per person but it was worth it. Plenty of Leg Room, great service, good food, real glass wine glasses, hot towels, huge video screens, better recline.

No it wasn't as good as business but it wasn't the torture of the back of the plane. Made the trip tolerable.

I could have gone United and used miles but they dont have premium economy. Some of us are willing to pay more for a better experience.

I am looking forward to trying Club Class on a future Princess cruise. The cost is a bit more than its worth right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if what I am reading about the pizza and tea are true, I have to wonder. Especially since they are doing well.

Why change to cheap sauce and cheese, unless they think we can't tell the difference and will scarf down anything they decide to serve us.

Why switch to brand X tea, unless they think we can't tell the difference and will slurp down whatever they pour.

How much money are they saving in exchange for treating us so contemptuously. And they may not even save any money, if some decide to skip the lousy pizza and have something which actually costs Princess more to provide.

Yes. Still good value for a mid level cruise line.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

A little off topic but they recently had the same old boring desserts on the Royal buffet. Some people were swearing that Princess made them in their galley but they were identical to the ones we had last year and I know they're purchased as you have said....nothing to get excited over. Of course I found something to nibble on.;)

They did have better choices in the DR.

Many of the desserts come from US Foods/Sysco/Performance Food Group. Quality is what you spend on them. You can get top quality desserts from the aforementioned vendors, or crap. Depends on your budget.

How can it honestly be a "lack of supervision of MDR dress requirements" when they plainly state it's perfectly OK to dress down for the DR. Unless someone was dressed in shorts there should be no complaints.

Last Novemember on the Star people came to dinner in shorts. I asked the MDR head waiter about. He just raised his arms,shrugged and smiled

We just disembarked today from the Diamond Princess in Sydney after a very nice 8 night cruise to Tasmania. Heading back to the USA tomorrow.

The pizza was good, the tea was Twining’s and the meals in Club Class terrific (and included unlimited butter).

The head waiter treated me to an excellent off menu, specially prepared for me, Indian feast last night. He had enjoyed our company so much, he did it as a heartfelt thank you.

I feel totally respected.

I think it's fair to say Princess quality has declined over the last decade while the prices have gone up significantly. The MDR experience leaves much to be desired, they've clamped down on the allowances at specialty dining and put restrictions on their drink packages. All the while not adding anything truly innovative or fun to any of their ships. IMO they are not competing well. Other mainstream cruise lines may make similar cutbacks but they offer much more in the way of entertainment, fun, and dining options. Club class, Ocean medallion are just a bunch of nothing to me. I still like Princess but I'm much more inclined to look elsewhere as the special feeling they used to give me is just not there anymore. As I get older, they become more boring to me which is kind of funny.

There were 2 US 110V and 1 European 220V outlets at the bedside and the same at the desk in our suite. The US sockets are very close together so plugging 2 things in at a time can be a problem. I travel with a simple 4 outlet power strip that doesn’t have a circuit breaker and a plug adapter just in case there are no US outlets. All my electronics are multi-voltage but have US plugs.

So do Princess pax respect the cruise line? It goes both ways....

Being a long time cruiser('83) seems to me there are to many frivolous complaints and demanding clients these days.

I agree. I cruise to relax and have fun, not to see what I can find fault with. I go to the dining room to enjoy the food. My attention is on the menu, the food, and our table mates. I pay no attention to others in the room. Apparently others go to the dining room to survey the room and act as fashion police. That can just ruin their enjoyment of the meal. Watching people and making fun of the way they are dressed is an activity that should be reserved for when you are sitting in the piazza enjoying a cocktail.;)

It's a shame really that Princess have chosen to dumb down a lot of the things that made them exceptional.

The list goes far beyond the brand of tea and the now dreadful pool side pizza. The room service hamburgers which were better than many shoreside burgers, have shrunk and lost their beautiful flavour and sesame seed bun. But saddest of all, the New York cheesecake which was a real crowd please on the favourites list for years is now a very sad version of some sort flummery.

The dining room staff are so busy apologising or fobbing off passenger comments and criticisms it must hurt them too.

And then there's the lack of supervision of MDR dress requirements - formal night or smart casual. And the inability to keep Anytime Dining for those who've requested it.

So no, I hadn't thought of it that way, but Princess does not respect it's passenger anymore. How sad.

Just off the Regal Dec 3 to 17. We had a fabulous time. First time on Regal but have sailed on Coral.Ruby and Royal

We chose anytime dinng and called for a reservation in the Symphony at 8 each morning except on formal nites and the 2 nites when we were in port till late and they didn’t accept reservations. Service was wonde Gil @nd food excellent except the corn fed prime rib one nite was terrible. Didn’t taste like prime rib at all. As for the pool deck pizza we found it to be bette4 than it used to be as we didn’t like it on past cruises. As for the comment on the cheesecake I had it 3x and it was delicious

Dress requirements. As far as I could see there really aren’t any in the dining room(Symphony). Lots of people in jeans. Shorts and T shirts.

Definitely not enforced.

On our final nite we had dinner in The Crown Grill. First time to one of the specialty restaurants. Well worth the money. Food and service excellent

Re coffee card. I was able to order 2 regular coffees daily after the first day being told I could not. Sever just looked on th3 back of th3 card for voyage number

I did not see many people drinking wine at dinner. I ordered a bottle of Danzante and with all taxes was $39. Last bottle I will order...too expensive

All in all greAt 2 weeks. Weather was fabulous

Just off the Regal Dec 3 to 17. We had a fabulous time. First time on Regal but have sailed on Coral.Ruby and Royal

We chose anytime dinng and called for a reservation in the Symphony at 8 each morning except on formal nites and the 2 nites when we were in port till late and they didn’t accept reservations. Service was wonde Gil @nd food excellent except the corn fed prime rib one nite was terrible. Didn’t taste like prime rib at all. As for the pool deck pizza we found it to be bette4 than it used to be as we didn’t like it on past cruises. As for the comment on the cheesecake I had it 3x and it was delicious

Dress requirements. As far as I could see there really aren’t any in the dining room(Symphony). Lots of people in jeans. Shorts and T shirts.

Definitely not enforced.

On our final nite we had dinner in The Crown Grill. First time to one of the specialty restaurants. Well worth the money. Food and service excellent

Re coffee card. I was able to order 2 regular coffees daily after the first day being told I could not. Sever just looked on th3 back of th3 card for voyage number

I did not see many people drinking wine at dinner. I ordered a bottle of Danzante and with all taxes was $39. Last bottle I will order...too expensive

All in all greAt 2 weeks. Weather was fabulous

Nice review.

Sounds like your food experience was a polar opposite of the previous poster, wishfuione.

How did you like the cuisine at the Crown Grill? Did you order meat, and how was the quality of the meat, and preparation? Did it meet your expectations?

Did the food and service at Crown Grill justify the $29 upcharge vs. cuisine offered at the MDR?

Thanks.

We're just about to depart on our second Princess sailing after being on Norwegian for several cruises. It sounds like a lot of the same things we had issue with on Norwegian, but the reality is, Norwegian made a business decision to be more family and budget friendly and they've done that successfully. I still don't mind Norwegian, but we decided to try Princess last time and we liked it better overall so we're sailing again. What we experienced two years ago on Princess was completely good with us and I expect it to be the same again.

The thing that bothers me, though, is the post that started this thread begins with "if what I'm reading is true..." so you are beginning a complaint without any experience, just relying on others who may have completely different tastes and needs to your own. I don't decide what movie to go to based on the reviews, I decide for myself what I think I might enjoy. Sometimes the reviews were right, sometimes (and often) they aren't. I'd rather decide from my own experience.

I completely agree with your sentiment. It's rather heinous to make a statement about something based on what you read and not on what you experience. We just got off the Crown Princess after 8 days in the Eastern Caribbean (I posted a Trip Report in a different thread) and we had an awesome time. I think part of the problem for some people is they don't have expectation management...or at least realistic expectation management. Just like complaints about the food in the MDR. I would venture to say none of them complaining eat anywhere near that good every day. I know I sure don't. The food, the presentation, and the service in the MDR was exceptional...very professional. Now, I can't say if it's different in the Any-time dining or not, but once we established a rapport with our wait team, things were excellent!! I highly recommend Princess and stress that you will get out of it what you are willing to put into it. Smiling crew, great service, and friendly attitudes are a direct reflection often of the people the staff are working with and the attitude they receive!