Mayday Mayday!!!

Mynki

Are they within the means of an average Haitian refugee?

If these were Haitian "refugees", then they stole the boat, as I don't know of a "refugee" that could afford a $90,000+ sailboat, in addition to the registration outside of Haiti. I've been involved in a few refugee rescues, both Cuban and Haitian, and this boat would be the Oasis of the Seas compared to the packing crates and styrofoam that most of these folks lash together to make for the US.

If these were Haitian "refugees", then they stole the boat, as I don't know of a "refugee" that could afford a $90,000+ sailboat, in addition to the registration outside of Haiti. I've been involved in a few refugee rescues, both Cuban and Haitian, and this boat would be the Oasis of the Seas compared to the packing crates and styrofoam that most of these folks lash together to make for the US.

I vote for "stolen." Just too many red flags - in particular- the lack of an EPIRB, radio(s?), distress flags (even an upside down ensign would've helped I.D.).

BTW, "chezmarylou": a sailboat is a "yacht".

Also, "gottaknowwhen": As point noted out by "broberts," that is a cat rigged schooner (vs a jury-rigged boom).

"WEGL81": It would take some truly exceptional (and often practiced) sail handling to steer a rudderless straight course- e.g., https://www.offshoresailing.com/rudderless-drill/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn't their being Haitian refugees just speculation? Someone else reported they were trying to sail between Dominica and Guadeloupe, which makes a lot more sense considering the boat's Dominica flag and where they were when rescued. Also would be odd to have two pregnant women as part of your boat-stealing ring, but I guess anything is possible.

Holy crap! What difference does their background make? They were in distress; Summit came to their rescue, period! The God all were saved. Why the speculation and innuendo? Please, get over yourselves!

It makes a bit of difference. If they were refugees, then it is good that they were rescued, since they probably had no experience on a small boat in the ocean. If on the other hand, they were the owners of the yacht, then they bear a bit of responsibility for risking their own lives for going to sea without proper knowledge and experience, and also for risking the lives of anyone, like the Celebrity boat crew, who had to rescue them. There are thousands of idiots in the US who go offshore on boats every year, and have to be rescued by Sheriffs, Wardens, and USCG due to their own ignorance and arrogance. The unofficial motto of the USCG SAR teams is "you gotta go out, but you don't have to come back", and anyone who risks these hero's lives by placing themselves in harm's way due to stupidity doesn't deserve a "thank God" for their rescue.

It makes a bit of difference. If they were refugees, then it is good that they were rescued, since they probably had no experience on a small boat in the ocean. If on the other hand, they were the owners of the yacht, then they bear a bit of responsibility for risking their own lives for going to sea without proper knowledge and experience, and also for risking the lives of anyone, like the Celebrity boat crew, who had to rescue them. There are thousands of idiots in the US who go offshore on boats every year, and have to be rescued by Sheriffs, Wardens, and USCG due to their own ignorance and arrogance. The unofficial motto of the USCG SAR teams is "you gotta go out, but you don't have to come back", and anyone who risks these hero's lives by placing themselves in harm's way due to stupidity doesn't deserve a "thank God" for their rescue.

"Richsea": the Chief is absolutely correct. If the folks on that boat actually owned it, they endangered the lives of all who came to their rescue - in large part because of their own stupidity (I.e., unprepared for an emergency - even just the most basic things for offshore sailing - like that EPIRB or multiple radios).

Despite a zillion practice MOB and similar drills, there's always the danger of something going very wrong .

Of course, we're all relieved that all personnel are okay. But, if the rescued folks were the owners or charterers of that yacht, they really need to face some consequences.

Isn't their being Haitian refugees just speculation? Someone else reported they were trying to sail between Dominica and Guadeloupe, which makes a lot more sense considering the boat's Dominica flag and where they were when rescued. Also would be odd to have two pregnant women as part of your boat-stealing ring, but I guess anything is possible.

Post #40 by OP relays a captain's report. Six people sailing from Haiti to Guadeloupe. No mention of Dominica.

It would not surprise me to learn that the six were refugees and stole the yacht. The apparent utter lack of seagoing knowledge, (even basic stuff like flying an ensign up-side-down in an emergency), suggests this. Of course it is always possible that they got to Haiti with competent help and for whatever reason left without it.

Just been chatting to our sommelier. She has seen them in medical by all accounts.

....I'm sure RCL group have procedures for this very rare scenario which are being followed.

Maybe not that rare. We were on the Eclipse last March between Aruba and Barbados when the ship suddenly turned and rescued a boat load of "fishermen" that had been floating at see for several days. These "fishermen" were supposedly from St. Lucia but when we got to St. Lucia our tour guide had heard about the event and said that these weren't fishermen. He said that they were arrested upon arrival in Barbados by St. Lucian officials..

Post #40 by OP relays a captain's report. Six people sailing from Haiti to Guadeloupe. No mention of Dominica.

It would not surprise me to learn that the six were refugees and stole the yacht. The apparent utter lack of seagoing knowledge, (even basic stuff like flying an ensign up-side-down in an emergency), suggests this. Of course it is always possible that they got to Haiti with competent help and for whatever reason left without it.

I understand that someone is relaying what the Captain was told, but if you look at the photo, the boat is clearly flying the flag of Dominica. Why would a boat from Haiti going to Guadeloupe be flying that flag? There's a story behind the story, I'm sure, but it's all speculation at this point.

I understand that someone is relaying what the Captain was told, but if you look at the photo, the boat is clearly flying the flag of Dominica. Why would a boat from Haiti going to Guadeloupe be flying that flag? There's a story behind the story, I'm sure, but it's all speculation at this point.

The flag flying on the stern flagstaff, (ensign), customarily denotes nationality, i.e. the country in which the vessel is registered. Next time in port cruising with Celebrity, check the ensign. If it is an Xpedition class ship, it will be flying an Ecuadorian ensign. Otherwise it be flying a Maltese civil ensign, (white Maltese cross on a red field with a white border).

The flag flying on the stern flagstaff, (ensign), customarily denotes nationality, i.e. the country in which the vessel is registered. Next time in port cruising with Celebrity, check the ensign. If it is an Xpedition class ship, it will be flying an Ecuadorian ensign. Otherwise it be flying a Maltese civil ensign, (white Maltese cross on a red field with a white border).

While most yachts and boat fly the ensign at the stern, it is actually more proper to only fly it at the stern when docked or anchored. Otherwise, it should be flown from the mast of a power boat or the leach of the aftermost sail, or the gaff of the sail on a sailboat. Ships will fly their ensign at the stern only when docked or anchored, and are required to fly it at the "main" mast during the day while underway.

And if anyone wants to better understand "flags of convenience" and all sorts of other "interesting" maritime industry practices, I highly recommend reading:

The Outlaw Sea

by William Langewiesche

If I were a amateur sailor I'd fly the skull and crossbones flag. ;)

Perhaps, until you were laughed out of the marina.

������

Somebody's gotta do it being an amateur sailor. Might as well be me. At least they would have a good laugh and something to talk about while enjoying drinks. :D To be honest I don't even own a boat.

A friend of mine is also on this cruise and posted a video of the rescue on FB...the seas were pretty rough and it took a couple of tries for the tender to off load the passengers. Thank goodness the ship came along! LuAnn

Just reading about the bus disaster carrying cruise passengers. These ships train for so many, many emergencies and, thank God they do! And we whine when we have to do an emergency drill before departure..... Maribeth

Maybe not that rare. We were on the Eclipse last March between Aruba and Barbados when the ship suddenly turned and rescued a boat load of "fishermen" that had been floating at see for several days. These "fishermen" were supposedly from St. Lucia but when we got to St. Lucia our tour guide had heard about the event and said that these weren't fishermen. He said that they were arrested upon arrival in Barbados by St. Lucian officials..

We were on that cruise when the Code Oscar was heard over the PA. Never heard about the follow up and the arrests. Thank you for the update.

While most yachts and boat fly the ensign at the stern, it is actually more proper to only fly it at the stern when docked or anchored. Otherwise, it should be flown from the mast of a power boat or the leach of the aftermost sail, or the gaff of the sail on a sailboat. Ships will fly their ensign at the stern only when docked or anchored, and are required to fly it at the "main" mast during the day while underway.

Why I said "next time in port".

Somebody's gotta do it being an amateur sailor. Might as well be me. At least they would have a good laugh and something to talk about while enjoying drinks. :D To be honest I don't even own a boat.

Jolly Roger is fairly common in marina catering to smaller craft. Personally I don't find it amusing. Piracy is not a joke.

Jolly Roger is fairly common in marina catering to smaller craft. Personally I don't find it amusing. Piracy is not a joke.

And you actually took my post seriously! :rolleyes:Who said anything about Pirates? Oh you mean the Pirates that sail the Jolly Rogers party boats out of some of the Caribbean ports.:D

Edited by davekathy

Why I said "next time in port".

Don't worry, the traditional pirate quit his sailing days years ago. They can now all be found working in the duty free diamond stores in the Caribbean.

Don't worry, the traditional pirate quit his sailing days years ago. They can now all be found working in the duty free diamond stores in the Caribbean.

Do worry- plenty of modern pirates- some of them quite crafty too!

Again I recommend: The Outlaw Sea by William Langewiesche

I guess that's why coalition nations spend millions of dollars annually to patrol the Horn of Africa/Gulf of Aden, and why shipping companies add security teams to ships in that area. While that area is the hottest spot lately for piracy (and has been for thousands of years), other areas like the Straits of Malacca, the South China Sea, Timor Sea, Celebes Sea, and others still have a quite active pirate "industry", and again have been operating such uninterrupted for hundreds or thousands of years. Even in the Caribbean, boat hijackings still occur.

True, the days of Blackbeard and Henry Morgan are long gone. Sadly, today's pirates are indistinguishable for anybody else, until they board some luckless yacht in the Caribbean.

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/USVirginIslands/us-virgin-islands-st-croix-boarded-by-pirates-shot-and-robbed-january-2016

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Nicaragua/nicaragua-media-luna-cays-piracy-december-2016

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Nicaragua/nicaragua-north-of-isla-providencia-colombia-attempted-boarding-january-2016

I wonder.....

Do they complete the cruise, or get off at the next port?

Do they have to pay?

Inquiring minds want to know..........

Helaine

Didn't take long for someone to ask if the shipwrecked people (who must have wondered if they would be dying on that boat) would be getting something for free that they themselves had to pay for. Let's see....they probably should also have to reimburse every paying passenger for the little side trip and possible delay arriving at the next port. And let's add in a little penalty depending upon whether most think they were adequately prepared before they even embarked on their journey.