Dress code being changed without any notice

thon

I have finally able been able to read the website and I am more confused than before.

I will ask my English professor spouse to interpret the dress code for men. Right now I am going to bring a dark suit, a dress shirt and a neck tie.

What's a "neck tie"?;)

I realize everyone has different takes on what "chic" or "formal" mean, but I think most of us here would dress just fine on any cruise, at least on any of CCL's lines. Personally, I will not ever wear a hat indoors at a table eating...that's my pet peeve. But I do not plan on wearing anything more dressy than a long sleeved dress shirt and jacket (when my wife makes me!) and nice slacks with tied shoes, even on a chic night. I hung up my neck ties about 15 years ago when I retired......and they have been untouched except for one funeral and one wedding in that time. The rest of the time (onboard, MDR or other non-buffet restaurant) it's a pair of slacks, sometimes jeans (depends), and a polo, Hawaiian or "sports" shirt - all those are collared; none are long sleeve.

In short, comparing what Celebrity "means" on their web page addressing dress code it about as fruitful as determining how many angels can dance on the point of a pin. Not a very satisfying way to pass the day......:cool:

I used to enjoy "formal" nights many years ago, I even had a tux with all the paraphernalia, including patent leather dress shoes. But I no long enjoy dressing up to that extent, and with today's luggage restrictions, I cannot afford the weight or bulk......takes up room I want for my snorkel gear for instance. Now I just want to enjoy the cruise....if I ever get the impression I'd be under-dressed in the MDR or another location, I'll just head up to the Lido deck or one of the specialty restaurants.:cool:

The rules weren’t changed, just clarified. Most would take “a shirt with sleeves” to mean long sleeved. Or simply wear a jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I disagree. I would think MOST would think that a shirt with sleeves would be either long or short. No sleeves mean just that - sleeveless, as in wife-beater, muscle shirt or whatever you want to call it.

i just got off the constellation a month ago and was in aqua and toward the front of the line on evening chic day were two guys dressed??? in sandals and sleeveless shirts... amazingly the maitre'd was going to seat them until several including me protested... so now their wives whined and said they get a seat and wait for them.... point is that even the relaxed standards of the last couple of years are not enforced or begrudgingly so... i guess the mighty dollar rules over all standards.

During the day, I'm fine with it. Once you hit 6PM, I'll be protesting to the Maître D right along with you. I don't pay good money to eat with pax who look like they came from a trailer trash jamboree!

What airline is requiring that you pay to use the bathroom? Is this a European thing on cut rate airlines??

I hear it's Spirit Airlines that charges a bathroom fee. Could be B/S. It's what I've heard. No desire to save THAT much money.

What's a "neck tie"?;)

I realize everyone has different takes on what "chic" or "formal" mean, but I think most of us here would dress just fine on any cruise, at least on any of CCL's lines. Personally, I will not ever wear a hat indoors at a table eating...that's my pet peeve. But I do not plan on wearing anything more dressy than a long sleeved dress shirt and jacket (when my wife makes me!) and nice slacks with tied shoes, even on a chic night. I hung up my neck ties about 15 years ago when I retired......and they have been untouched except for one funeral and one wedding in that time. The rest of the time (onboard, MDR or other non-buffet restaurant) it's a pair of slacks, sometimes jeans (depends), and a polo, Hawaiian or "sports" shirt - all those are collared; none are long sleeve.

In short, comparing what Celebrity "means" on their web page addressing dress code it about as fruitful as determining how many angels can dance on the point of a pin. Not a very satisfying way to pass the day......:cool:

I used to enjoy "formal" nights many years ago, I even had a tux with all the paraphernalia, including patent leather dress shoes. But I no long enjoy dressing up to that extent, and with today's luggage restrictions, I cannot afford the weight or bulk......takes up room I want for my snorkel gear for instance. Now I just want to enjoy the cruise....if I ever get the impression I'd be under-dressed in the MDR or another location, I'll just head up to the Lido deck or one of the specialty restaurants.:cool:

I miss my patent leather shoes. Now I can't tell what those Scotsman are wearing(or not wearing)under those kilts!

Do they even make long sleeve Hawaiian shirts?

And BTW, you can fit more angles dancing on the head of a pin than you can on its point.

I have only seen one long sleeved Hawaiian shirt. Frank Sinatra wore one when he guested on Magnum PI back in 1987.

I'm so old I remember when adults didn't have to be told what was inappropriate dress for dinner out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me,too! They also didn’t have to be told what appropriate dress was.

They wore socks, dress shoes, slacks (no such things as dress jeans——-jeans were work pants), a woven pressed shirt, and, depending on the occasion, a jacket and tie. This description covered private parties, church attendance, school special occasions, weddings, funerals, and, yes, office work. What a difference!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do they even make long sleeve Hawaiian shirts?

And BTW, you can fit more angles dancing on the head of a pin than you can on its point.

No long sleeved Hawaiian shirts I've seen.....but I'm sure they are out there somewhere....

Ah, you got my "point" about the pin.;)

Edited by PaperSniper4

I miss my patent leather shoes. Now I can't tell what those Scotsman are wearing(or not wearing)under those kilts!

HA! As a man of Scottish decent, I appreciate that! When I was in Scotland several years ago, and still wearing formal wear, I decided to mix things ups a bit. First I checked into getting a Navy mess dress uniform (I was still in the Navy then), but the nigh cost put me off. Then on a UK cruise, I checked into getting a kilt and the accessories in Scotland. Holly Lock Ness; I thought the uniform was expensive!:o

So I stuck with my tailored tux I bought in Seoul a few years earlier for $150. That appealed to my inner Scotsman.;)

There were a couple of guys eating in Luminae last week in tee shirts and shorts during the dinner hours. Designer jeans are a joke; I wouldn't dig a ditch in what some men are wearing to dinner.

We were on the Reflection in July. A diner in Luminae was quietly asked to remove his baseball cap at breakfast.

Also, a passenger was turned away from Murano (restaurant not the island!) for wearing shorts.