Rude Solstice spa staff

Toronto Guy

They pulled a stunt like these on my wife and her friend 2 cruises ago. They signed up for a couples deal but after the treatment they were both charged for a single treatment at full price. So what was supposed to be $100 ea ended up at $180 ea, and those 2 dummies paid it. I didn't find out till after the cruise or I would have been down to GS in a flash.

Calling them dummies? Boy, I hope your wife doesn't "often" crown you with the 'ol rolling pin!

Could someone please explain to me why it is that those allegedly given poor service do nothing to resolve the issue other than to bellyache on social media. There are senior staff on cruise ships who can and will resolve any major problem that exists. If they don't / cant then there is always the two guys at the top, The Staff Captain and finally the Ships Captain. Matters always get resolved before these two people get involved. The most common way the cruise lines have of resolving major issues is to give the offended party heaps of OBC at least that is my experience. I had a minor issue where I had a clothes line rigged up on my balcony which offended a neighbour apparently. The resolution - Everytime we need laundry dried we rang the Housekeeping supervisor and he sent someone to collect and it was put through the ships dryers at no cost. Even minor issues can be resolved

Could someone please explain to me why it is that those allegedly given poor service do nothing to resolve the issue other than to bellyache on social media. There are senior staff on cruise ships who can and will resolve any major problem that exists. If they don't / cant then there is always the two guys at the top, The Staff Captain and finally the Ships Captain. Matters always get resolved before these two people get involved. The most common way the cruise lines have of resolving major issues is to give the offended party heaps of OBC at least that is my experience. I had a minor issue where I had a clothes line rigged up on my balcony which offended a neighbour apparently. The resolution - Everytime we need laundry dried we rang the Housekeeping supervisor and he sent someone to collect and it was put through the ships dryers at no cost. Even minor issues can be resolved

Clearly you did not read the thread. I have not requested any form of OBC or compensation, as that is not required or expected. Addressing the concern/issue so it doesn’t happen to others was my hope.

Clothes line on your balcony??? Seriously?? Can’t possibly see why a neighbor would be offended! All the tenements have one.

Spa mgmt can be very aggressive , formidable and imposing in these situations..,ship mgmt tries to stay out of it if they can because spa is a vendor not ship employees... Canyon Ranch has such great pr as a health and wellness oriented spa...but on the ship seems like just another business

Best to protect one's interests from the start...I enjoy my treatments but make sure I have my paperwork correct!

Spa mgmt can be very aggressive , formidable and imposing in these situations..,ship mgmt tries to stay out of it if they can because spa is a vendor not ship employees... Canyon Ranch has such great pr as a health and wellness oriented spa...but on the ship seems like just another business

Best to protect one's interests from the start...I enjoy my treatments but make sure I have my paperwork correct!

I go to Canyon Ranch in Tucson often and their service is outstanding. The only difference, I can think is that, at least the staff I spoke to while getting services on the ships, is that they hired former Steiner employees.

please feel free to ignore my bellyaching.

You’re not belly aching that persons reply was just plain rude as you will find others are on this site. People always have brass balls when they are safe at home behind a keyboard where no one can get in their face for being rude. Hope you get the problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I go to Canyon Ranch in Tucson often and their service is outstanding. The only difference, I can think is that, at least the staff I spoke to while getting services on the ships, is that they hired former Steiner employees.

I think that is a big part of it....but the end result is not what was hoped for in terms of the spa culture on board,

When I get an offer I ask them to give me an appointment card... just write down my appointment date/time. Then I ask them to write down what I'm getting and the price. I take that card with me to my appointment. It helps a LOT when they start questioning what I'm there for... and the cost. It's not good that this is necessary, but it IS necessary.

Wow, it sounds like this is a common thing?

Cant understand why you are posting here before you have resolved or at least tried to resolve the issue. There are senior staff eg the Hotel Director for one who should be advised and given time to try and rectify the situation. Whilst I agree that the service at the spa appears to be substandard stop complaining here in CC and do something to seek rectification. You may be surprised at the outcome. I cannot for the life of me understand why people use forums like this to bellyache and complain before going through the appropriate steps with senior management to rectify a complaint. If the complaint cant be resolved satisfactorily then by all means come here but until .....................

I have to agree with you. On our last cruise we had a very major issue with the Spa. I am not going to go into it here, because they did make up for it, and promise to get it corrected. But I will say, we got a call from the Main Headquarters in Nevada, when we got back from the cruise. He was sincere in his apology, and more than made up for it. Yes it did cause a headache on our cruise, but because we said something, hopefully it will make it better for future cruisers. If they don't know there is a problem, they cant fix it.

I have to agree with you. On our last cruise we had a very major issue with the Spa. I am not going to go into it here, because they did make up for it, and promise to get it corrected. But I will say, we got a call from the Main Headquarters in Nevada, when we got back from the cruise. He was sincere in his apology, and more than made up for it. Yes it did cause a headache on our cruise, but because we said something, hopefully it will make it better for future cruisers. If they don't know there is a problem, they cant fix it.

Thank you. Complaining on social media will not resolve a problem. Resolution can only take place at the time the incident occurred. Of the 2800 people who are sailing on any day on any Celebrity ships probably less than 1 % are on Cruise critic as can be ascertained by numbers who register for Connection get togethers. I am still interested how the original problem was resolved

Thank you. Complaining on social media will not resolve a problem. Resolution can only take place at the time the incident occurred. Of the 2800 people who are sailing on any day on any Celebrity ships probably less than 1 % are on Cruise critic as can be ascertained by numbers who register for Connection get togethers. I am still interested how the original problem was resolved

The vast majority of people I've met onboard have heard of Cruise Critic. You'll also find that almost all of the customer facing staff are well aware of it. I appreciate this is anecdotal, but as for your maths, one percent of 2800 is 28. You need at least 50 to get a connections party going and pretty much every sailing easily achieves this whilst not every cc member registers.....

The vast majority of people I've met onboard have heard of Cruise Critic. You'll also find that almost all of the customer facing staff are well aware of it. I appreciate this is anecdotal, but as for your maths, one percent of 2800 is 28. You need at least 50 to get a connections party going and pretty much every sailing easily achieves this whilst not every cc member registers.....

25 are needed for a Connections party but I will give you credit to 5% which as an overall scheme of things is minimal compared with the 100 of thousands of people cruising every day on all cruise lines who haven't a clue what Cruise Critic or other social media involved with cruising are

25 are needed for a Connections party but I will give you credit to 5% which as an overall scheme of things is minimal compared with the 100 of thousands of people cruising every day on all cruise lines who haven't a clue what Cruise Critic or other social media involved with cruising are

The forum has 1,623,772 members. How many people read the forum and don't post?

Not sure where you got the 5% from, but in my own personal experience the people aware of it is certainly considerably higher than one in twenty.

What you need to unerstand is that most people will search on xxxxxxxxxxxxx ship review before booking a new ship or line. CC is very high in the search engine rankings and they will read reviews, not just the forums which are only a small part of CC.

The forum has 1,623,772 members. How many people read the forum and don't post?

Not sure where you got the 5% from, but in my own personal experience the people aware of it is certainly considerably higher than one in twenty.

What you need to unerstand is that most people will search on xxxxxxxxxxxxx ship review before booking a new ship or line. CC is very high in the search engine rankings and they will read reviews, not just the forums which are only a small part of CC.

Let's break down the amount the 1,623,772 members are "duplicate"?? There's plenty of members with different e-mail addresses that could easily post under each one. I have 3 different e-mails. I only post under one, however. From what I see, the amount of cruise critic members on any one ship is still quite small. Add to that the amount of posters who post & yet have never been on a ship in their lives & the amount drops further. It's not hard to do a little research on a line or ship & just B/S yourself around the forum. I think the actual amount of posters is still an overall small amount compared to the amount of actual cruisers.

Let's break down the amount the 1,623,772 members are "duplicate"?? There's plenty of members with different e-mail addresses that could easily post under each one. I have 3 different e-mails.

I doubt there are many forum members with three accounts. That's an exception, not a rule.

I only post under one, however. From what I see, the amount of cruise critic members on any one ship is still quite small. Add to that the amount of posters who post & yet have never been on a ship in their lives & the amount drops further. It's not hard to do a little research on a line or ship & just B/S yourself around the forum. I think the actual amount of posters is still an overall small amount compared to the amount of actual cruisers.

Of course it's 'small', but it's way more than the "less than 1%" suggested previously.

When I get an offer I ask them to give me an appointment card... just write down my appointment date/time. Then I ask them to write down what I'm getting and the price. I take that card with me to my appointment. It helps a LOT when they start questioning what I'm there for... and the cost. It's not good that this is necessary, but it IS necessary.

And this is why I book my facial massage and scrub at home for the week either before or after the cruise and pay half the price and get treated like a queen.

And this is why I book my facial massage and scrub at home for the week either before or after the cruise and pay half the price and get treated like a queen.

Me too! Part of my pre-cruise ritual is a massage with my regular massage therapist who knows me and my needs. He leaves me relaxed, relieved, and ready for fun....at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Currently on Solstice. Spa is really unprofessional. Booked a treatment, showed up on time, they couldn’t find my booking, wait - then therapist blames me (twice) for being late and will have to shorten the treatment by half an hour as a result. This was clearly a tactic to get out of the special they had sold me at embarkation. I explained what happened and then they more or less proceed to basically call me a liar and mock me at the desk thinking I can’t hear what they’re saying. Needless to say I just walked out. Don’t need to pay a ridiculous price to be insulted by Spa staff.

Skip hotel manager. An email to corporate works wonders. I had an issue, emailed corporate, I had an apology and OBC as a “sorry”

Skip hotel manager. An email to corporate works wonders. I had an issue, emailed corporate, I had an apology and OBC as a “sorry”

I have to take issue with this advice. Until the matter is resolved satisfactorily it is unlikely that a disaffected customer would return and thus any OBC offered by Head Office is meaningless. The Hotel DIrector has a lot of sway and power when it comes to resolving issues. It is not in the HD's interest to have a complaint go to Head Office that he/she couldn't resolve.

Whilst it is not possible rectify a wrong the best that can be hoped for is some form of compensation. This can be done by offers of OBC or free spa treatments as that is where the issue arose.

Start with the HD and be persistant . Some form of agreement has to be arrived at or the cruise experience goes right down the toilet.

Staff are on a hiding to nothing with posts like these because we only get one side of the story. My experience in dealing with complaints about rental cars on the Trip Advisor website when one hears the other side one comes away with generally a completely but now balanced point of view. To honestly believe that a Hotel Director on any cruise ship would do absolutely nothing when faced with a significant complaint by a passenger absolutely astounds me and I find incomprehensible. In my experience most issues are resolved at Guest relations level before the Hotel Director has to get involved. As this thread evolves I am becoming more and more convinced we are not getting the whole truth or at least a very subjective view of the truth.