If we’re bumped up to a Neptune Suite when an accessible cabin is needed ...

Beth Y

When you do an online booking via the Holland America site you can choose the "I need an accessible cabin" box. If there are no accessible cabins in the category you have chosen it comes back with a message saying so, and that they have upgraded you to the next available category. In the OP's case, it is a Neptune Suite. This is how I check the odds of getting a handicap suite when I have booked a guaranty. If there are none available then I can relax about possibly getting one assigned to me.

How can you "relax" if you absolutely need an HC Suite/Cabin, like someone in a wheelchair who absolutely needs one or they can't travel?

Does any of this sound right? Unless proven wrong, I suspect the contributors were given upgrades and that had nothing to do with handicap cabins.

If you are referring to my posts...here is what happens for me.

When making a new booking, I can book a VF, which has no HC cabins, and be upgraded to the next highest category that does have an HC for the price of a VF. (I am not able to do this online and must talk to a HAL agent or TA)

I am unclear on Miss G's experience so hope to hear more about that.

Does any of this sound right? Unless proven wrong, I suspect the contributors were given upgrades and that had nothing to do with handicap cabins.

It is wrong (except apparently HAL allows this) if they are just booking the lowest Suite QTY and checking off "HC needed" in hopes of getting assigned a free upgrade to a Neptune Suite. While there are different HC needs, there was someone who posted on either this or the Celebrity board that they were in a wheelchair and could not travel without an HC cabin large enough for their wheelchair which they were in full time.

Because of the demographics on most cruise ships, I think most cabins should have things like no step-ups and bars in the tubs or showers so ideally the limited full HC cabins are for those in wheelchairs or really needing the wider door and space.

My thoughts are that someone who truly needs an HC cabin (ie. such as someone in a wheelchair full time) can't (and won't) book a QTY cabin.

Edited by Jade13

If you are referring to my posts...here is what happens for me.

When making a new booking, I can book a VF, which has no HC cabins, and be upgraded to the next highest category that does have an HC for the price of a VF. (I am not able to do this online and must talk to a HAL agent or TA)

I am unclear on Miss G's experience so hope to hear more about that.

So please indulge me in what I believe you are saying. You book a VF, then call a TA or HAL and say you need an accessible cabin. HAL accommodates you by upgrading you to the next higher category that has a HC. Wow! That's pretty sweet if I'm reading you correctly.

I am so sorry for not making myself clear and confusing the issue. I will try again:

1. I have a suite guarantee booked.
  2. It is before final payment.
  3. I do not want to be assigned a HC suite so I did a mock booking and checked whether any were available.
  4. There were none available in my category so the system came back with a message saying they had upgraded me to the next available HC cabin.
  5. If one had been available I was going to request an assigned room rather than a guarantee so that I wouldn't risk being assigned a HC suite.

Is this any clearer or should I shut up now? lol

It is wrong (except apparently HAL allows this) if they are just booking the lowest Suite QTY and checking off "HC needed" in hopes of getting assigned a free upgrade to a Neptune Suite. While there are different HC needs, there was someone who posted on either this or the Celebrity board that they were in a wheelchair and could not travel without an HC cabin large enough for their wheelchair which they were in full time.

I don't recall reading that anyone here tries to book a suite guarantee accessible cabin in the hopes of getting a free upgrade to a Neptune accessible, when they don't need the features of the accessible cabin.

What I did read is that someone who does not need, nor want, an accessible Neptune books a suite guarantee, then checks Neptune accessible availability to learn if it's unlikely she'll get an accessible cabin.

Because of the demographics on most cruise ships, I think most cabins should have things like no step-ups and bars in the tubs or showers so ideally the limited full HC cabins are for those in wheelchairs or really needing the wider door and space.

Not everyone who has trouble with steps, and/or needs grab bars, is confined to a wheelchair. It is quite possible to need at least some of the features of an accessible cabin without being in a wheelchair.

So please indulge me in what I believe you are saying. You book a VF, then call a TA or HAL and say you need an accessible cabin. HAL accommodates you by upgrading you to the next higher category that has a HC. Wow! That's pretty sweet if I'm reading you correctly.

You are aware that he does need an accessible cabin, though, aren't you?

Since HAL doesn't have sufficient accessible cabins to meet demand, this is a reasonable way of dealing with the need when people can't get the type of cabin they want.

I am so sorry for not making myself clear and confusing the issue. I will try again:

3. I do not want to be assigned a HC suite so I did a mock booking and checked whether any were available.
  4. There were none available in my category so the system came back with a message saying they had upgraded me to the next available HC cabin.
  5. If one had been available I was going to request an assigned room rather than a guarantee so that I wouldn't risk being assigned a HC suite.

You are crystal clear :D. Of course, I thought the first one was too ;)

I don't recall reading that anyone here tries to book a suite guarantee accessible cabin in the hopes of getting a free upgrade to a Neptune accessible, when they don't need the features of the accessible cabin.

What I did read is that someone who does not need, nor want, an accessible Neptune books a suite guarantee, then checks Neptune accessible availability to learn if it's unlikely she'll get an accessible cabin.

Not everyone who has trouble with steps, and/or needs grab bars, is confined to a wheelchair. It is quite possible to need at least some of the features of an accessible cabin without being in a wheelchair.

Yes! Ruth has it exactly!

Then why doesn't he/she book one that is available from the outset?

Since HAL doesn't have sufficient accessible cabins to meet demand, this is a reasonable way of dealing with the need when people can't get the type of cabin they want.

I'm all for providing Handicap cabins to folks that need them but you do see where someone could "game" the system. For instance, take this hypothetical: Eurodam is selling VF's for $699. The only handicaps are in VB at $999. So I book the VF and then call HAL asking for a handicap cabin knowing I'll get the VB at $999. Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Totally agree. You'd have to be a pretty horrible person to book one unrequired and deny someone who needs one.

I'm all for providing Handicap cabins to folks that need them but you do see where someone could "game" the system. For instance, take this hypothetical: Eurodam is selling VF's for $699. The only handicaps are in VB at $999. So I book the VF and then call HAL asking for a handicap cabin knowing I'll get the VB at $999. Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

That is close. But I am not booking first and then changing cabins later. It is all in one step. Yes, I got a VB for your hypothetical price of a VF for $699. This may seem unfair but keep in mind that a HC person can not get a guarantee and be upgraded to much nicer HC cabin like everyone else can do for a non-HC cabin. This is compensation for not being able to play the guarantee game, I suppose.

I don't think you can book high level suites and do the same thing.

Well sort of clear. I just don't understand this part ...."so the system came back with a message saying they had upgraded me to the next available HC cabin." If you are talking about a mock booking to see if you would inadvertently be booked in an HC which you didn't want, I get it.

So you are not checking the "need accessible" box during an actual booking, right?

I think part of the confusion is the OP was asking about being bumped to to a Neptune HC because a lower level HC was not available so some of us reading your post were seeing it in that context.

That is correct - I am not checking the box during an actual booking. I already have an SY GTY through the PCC. I am within a few days of final payment so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't inadvertently receive a HC suite. The system upgraded me to a Neptune HC with a mock booking so, in that context, the OP is correct in that there is a possibility. They would have to come back to clarify or confirm though.

That is correct - I am not checking the box during an actual booking. I already have an SY GTY through the PCC. I am within a few days of final payment so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't inadvertently receive a HC suite. The system upgraded me to a Neptune HC with a mock booking so, in that context, the OP is correct in that there is a possibility. They would have to come back to clarify or confirm though.

Thanks.

So one last point....there is no such thing as an HC guarantee booking, right? That would be an interesting change I would look into if that were possible.

That is close. But I am not booking first and then changing cabins later. It is all in one step. Yes, I got a VB for your hypothetical price of a VF for $699. This may seem unfair but keep in mind that a HC person can not get a guarantee and be upgraded to much nicer HC cabin like everyone else can do for a non-HC cabin. This is compensation for not being able to play the guarantee game, I suppose.

I don't think you can book high level suites and do the same thing.

Thank you for clarifying your situation. Please don't take my words as any criticism of your actions. My concern is related to folks who do not need an HC cabin and might abuse this policy to obtain an upgrade.

Thank you for clarifying your situation. Please don't take my words as any criticism of your actions. My concern is related to folks who do not need an HC cabin and might abuse this policy to obtain an upgrade.

I understand. HAL does make it a little bit harder for that to happen.You have to fill out a needs form very soon after you book. I guess people could still lie on that. I can't post what it I really think of those people.