New Year's on the Malaysian Peninsula: Live from the Sapphire Princess 30 Dec - 09 Ja

Croptop

Got up around 8 am and slowly got myself ready for a day of wandering about. Armed with a tourist map and my phone, I stepped out into the humidity and set off.

First stop: the Little India MRT station which was a short 3 minute walk from the Hilton Garden Inn where I am staying. For SGD$12, I picked up an EZLink card preloaded with $7. I jumped onto the Downtown line and rode it 4 stops to the Bayfront station which exits into a mall beneath the Marina Bay Sands hotel.

It took me a while to find my way out of the mall - first I had to realise that I was 3 levels underground - bit once I was outside, I took a little walking tour around Marina Bay.

3d23bda22a21534c68a77e192f2a6dca.jpgb60ec2b9282afdcd3b97cdfce4f591cb.jpgc4213d3ea18fb29a676c3fbe64173476.jpg

I gotta say, I really like the MRT. It's fairly inexpensive and you never wait more than 5 minutes for a train. It's clean and the station stops are announced clearly well in advance.

A couple of tips/observances: on the escalators to and from the platforms, people who just want to stand and let the escalator do the work keep to the left leaving the right side open for people who want to keep moving. I love it!

Secondly, posted among the forbidden items on the train including eating and drinking ($500 fine); smoking ($1000 fine) and flammable items ($5000 fine) is "durians". There's no fine amount listed but when an item is specifically called out as banned on public transportation that's got to be a signal to rethink it's legitimacy as a food item.

68c24d35119e3e473eeafdd2494e3dce.jpg

Anyway, after touring around the downtown core a bit, I headed back to Little India and the HGI to fetch a hat and put on some sunscreen. It had been overcast when I left the hotel but was sunny by the time I got to the Bayfront station. So after grabbing my hat and sunglasses and applying some sunscreen, I wandered a few blocks over to check out the Mustafa Center. According to the hyperbole, it's supposed to be the cheapest place in Singapore to buy *anything*. The place was certainly packed with anything and everything but I didn't find the prices to be significantly better than back home on the few random items I checked out.

After grabbing some lunch at a random stir fry place -- hey, when in Little India, be sure to have some Chinese food! -- I figured that since it was a nice sunny day that I should head down to the botanical gardens. So back onto the MRT Downtown Line. I got off at the Botanic Gardens Station to discover that once again the weather had changed dramatically and it was now raining.

It wasn't too bad so I pressed on and managed to get about halfway through the gardens before it started pouring so I sought shelter to wait out the storm.

e680f33d8ac9fedb8c60f22476cd79cc.jpg47296567d97179d3ec5f375bc6837039.jpg

I didn't grab many pictures because of the rain. Once it cleared up a bit, I continued on and ended up exiting the gardens at the Orchard Road exit. That put me a 20 minute or so walk away from Orchard Road and the MRT station there.

I know that Orchard Road is one of those "must see" places in Singapore but it wasn't really a place for me. Of all the areas I've been to today, it was the most crowded and, since shopping isn't really my main interest, I was happy to drop down into the MRT station once I reached it and head back to Little India so I could head up to my room and dry off a bit.

At this point, I thinking about finding something for supper and debating whether I'll head down to check out the Gardens by the Bay tonight or save that for tomorrow. I'll admit that I'm a bit "walked out" (step count for today so far: 26652) so the remainder of the day might turn into a marathon relaxation session.

Would you know if the City Shuttle drops off at hotels along Orchard road?

Frankly, I would get a taxi. Taxis are very cheap in Singapore and $SD30 would cover the airport to the city which is what I am after following a long flight.

I arrived in Singapore yesterday and it’s been full on ever since. We were in china town during the heavy downpour this afternoon. Been using the mtr to get around much more efficient than the London Underground. Great reading your thread even though I will be joining the sapphire at the same time as you. Have a great holiday.

Frankly, I would get a taxi. Taxis are very cheap in Singapore and $SD30 would cover the airport to the city which is what I am after following a long flight.

Thanks. Actually, the hotel I will be staying next month said it could be 30-35 SGD. Will be taking a taxi given our luggages for 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're getting on the Sapphire as you're getting off so am looking forward to your posts.

When you do get on board can you let me know if you see the wine package offered? May need to decide if we should bring more than our 2 bottles of wine on board with us.

Thanks

Happy Embarkation Day!

I'm still adjusting to the massive time change so, of course, I was wide awake at 0430hrs. I managed to waste a few hours watching TV before hoping in the shower and heading down to breakfast.

Even with goofing off and double checking everything, I was ready to get moving and going a bit stir crazy so by 0830hrs, I decided to head down to check out and get in with the day.

My original plan was to take an Uber to the Marina Bay Cruise Centre but given how early it was and the fact that I had enjoyed my time on it, I opted to take the MRT instead. I figured that it wouldn't be too big a deal since I only have one large, rolling suitcase and a messenger bag.

Google told me the way - jump on the Nort East line in Little India, ride 1 stop to Dhoby Ghaut station, switch to the North South line and ride it to the end of the line at Marina South Pier station. From there it was about a 700 m walk to the port.

3f455db36c607b810c418734c4b40b2a.jpga76a6b7e924ca1a5638fe8855dca2b8f.jpg

It was an easy journey that cost me about SGD$1.30 or so and I was at the Cruise Centre by 0920hrs. I was able to drop off my luggage right away and only had to wait about 20 minutes before security opened up and check-in commenced.

ba6b45a0741d09518122c5229cefd945.jpgdd45b38f8ebcb615a513f64fc5be5447.jpg

I was guided from the check-in counter to the waiting area by about at least 8 ushers along the way. They sure don't want you to get lost.

By 0950, I was firmly ensconced in a chair in the "Preferred" waiting area after having decisively spilled coffee all over the carpet in front of the snack table. Sigh. Things are starting well.

Watched a few shows on my tablet before they started boarding a little bit before noon. First big difference: they collect your passport when you board. I'd read about this before so I was prepared but it still feels weird giving away my passport.

By 1205 hrs, I was aboard the ship, had dropped my carry on stuff in my room - as far aft as you can get on there Aloha deck which will make for easy access to the buffet - and was tucking into a serving of beef tenderloin in the International Dining Room.

It's great to be on a Princess Ship again.

Going to spend the afternoon exploring the ship. It's similar enough to the Star Princess to seem familiar but different enough to warrant a thorough examination.

Need to find the gym. I might even use it if I find it. Maybe.

c1efdbb0e52b4bb017ff8d52c841b4f4.jpgc7610929f52e296bc0f8a4cf9df53018.jpg

31 Dec 2017 (Sea Day)

Started off the morning with an early with a 30 minute run on the Promenade deck. After that, my intention was to go to the stretching and ab classes at 0700 in the fitness centre but when I showed up, there was a huge crowd waiting for the class to start and I don't really dig huge crowds. I guess Aussies are more into fitness. When I cruise in the Caribbean, the gym is much lighter trafficked.

So I just did my own stretching and then cleaned up and headed off to breakfast in the dining room.

Enjoyed a coffee on the aft deck until around 1000hrs when it was time to meet up with other CCers at an informal meet and greet in the Wake Bar on Deck 6 -- which I would have never known existed if not for the meetup.

Not much to share after that. The rest of the day was spent relaxing and reading -- mostly in Skywalkers where, except when there's a basketball game happening on the Sports deck above, one can find peace and quiet.

It was our first formal night and my personal tradition is to dine in one of the specialty restaurants on formal nights. So tonight was Sabatini's. I've dined in Sabatini's on the Caribbean, Ruby, Star, and Regal Princesses so my expectations were pretty well established.

I started with the field greens salad which weren't really field greens. Just some chopped up romaine lettuce. It was still a nice salad to start but not quite up to the standard of past meals there. The penne with short ribs is a dish that I recall being prepared table side but this time, it was just brought out already prepared. It was still quite good though. Overall, my meal was quite good but of all my Sabatini's meals over the years, this one was the least... special. Perhaps it's a sign of the cutbacks that get discussed here on CC over and over or perhaps I'm just over-reacting. Like I said, the meal was good so I don't want people to think I'm complaining about it.

Tomorrow is another sea day before we reach our first stop: Bali.

Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks so much for live posting your trip. We'll be on the Sapphire for the 8 Feb trip. If it's possible, when you get to Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), could you let us know how easy it is to get taxis for round trip transportation to KL? There are some old posts that say there are fixed prices but nothing recent to confirm. We've looked at the Princess "on your own" transport but it leaves late and returns early... we're looking for more time on our own in the city. Thanks!

Thanks so much for live posting your trip. We'll be on the Sapphire for the 8 Feb trip. If it's possible, when you get to Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), could you let us know how easy it is to get taxis for round trip transportation to KL? There are some old posts that say there are fixed prices but nothing recent to confirm. We've looked at the Princess "on your own" transport but it leaves late and returns early... we're looking for more time on our own in the city. Thanks!
Made a note. Will look into cabs to KL for you.

Ah the Sapphire...love that ship. Last cruise on her we did Asian ports but they were Vietnam and Thailand. The cruise you are doing is one we have earmarked next so I will be interested in your comments re closeness of ports to attractions, best transport etc. I have been to Bali so I know transport there is plentiful and cheap but very interested in your comments about Malaysian ports. Loving your reports and photos. Envious.

Does your cruise by chance stop in Phuket? How will you be spending your day there if it does?

We do, indeed, stop in Phuket. I currently have no firm plans for that stop.

I'm open to suggestions.